Relaoding 6.8 SPC

The SPCII load chronied 2,894-2,903 with first shot in the string of 5 being the highest at 2,903 for a 100 gr. Nosler.

Thats more like it.

Mine is in a 16'' barrel and does just over 2800 ft/sec with the Remington 115 factory HPBT
Ammo.

I have not loaded the 100 gr bullets but I will .

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

For J.E. Custom and Catskinner, the powder I used was H322 for both loads. The Boran Nitride coating, I used to send all my bullets to Superior Shooting Systems and have them coat them and send them back but now they have a kit you use in your tumbler and do it yourself. They used to be be so backlogged I would wait for a month to get them back, and the shop runs 7-days a week, orders were Monday -Friday. But now I can coat whatever I want when ever I want to in 2-hours. It cuts down on friction, and barrel heat and extends barrel life. -----------But since there is less friction there is less chamber pressure so if you have a "Naked Bullet Load" already worked up and you use coated bullets your velocity will drop a little, but that's ok because you dropped the chamber pressure more than you dropped the velocity. To get back to your original velocity you'll have to add a small amount of extra powder. But you can very easily end up with a higher velocity and less chamber pressure. You'll notice the barrel heat reduction more on the hot rod magnum calibers or sustained fire on a regular caliber. You can call Superior at 806-323-9488 or go to Superior Shooting Systems.com. My alarm is going off in 5-hours so I need to go, but I'll send ya'll some data from 6.8 forums. I looked at our chrony sheet and that 100 gr load at 2,900 and a factory 100 gr Federal load in a .243 Winchester with a longer barrel was 2,720 fps so it has more punch than a .243. You'll loose a little with the 16" barrel probably 50fps but it will still be plenty lethal.

The 100gr. Nosler Accubond is a newer version of the bullet I'm shooting in the SPCII. And I saw some available. Once the secret gets out you won't be able to find them either.

I am using Nosler 100 gr Accubond round with RE 10x. I finally found some SRP and in two weeks I am taking it out for a Caribou hunt up north Alaska. Thanks for the help and I will let you know how I do.

Well I finally got the SRP for the 6.8 and the brass I have seem to have some type of lip were the primers go. I can't press the primers into position because of it and once again I am at a loss. As you know I am planing on a Caribou trip next week and I still have no rounds for my 6.8 SPC. Is there something I am missing on this. I have been only reloading for about 2 months now and this round is really kicking my butt. I have been very successful with the other three rounds I have been reloading with no problems. The brass is once shot Hornady brass. I really appreciate the help every one has given me, I just need a little bit more. Thanks Nate

I am assuming that is a military crimp. Did you have any trouble de-priming it? If so there is a swager you can get to remove the crimp but you're out of time. Some people use one of the electric brass prep stations if you have one and use the inside chamfer tool to remove the lip. Don't go crazy just remove enough to prime them. I was told there is a special bit for that you can put in a cordless drill, but I do not know the maker or where to get it. I think you said you had Varget and that works in just about everything. My load was H322 it grouped tighter but Varget was 3/8" instead of 1/8" groups but that would make anybody happy. I guess you've checked but I thought 30 caliber was required for your hunt, every state is different. Man you are lucky to get to go on that hunt. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.