Regret not having more magnification?

FIGJAM

LRH Team Member
Hey guys - just picked up a new rifle which will be a dedicated coyote gun. I have traditionally had something in the 6-24x50 range on my coyote rifles. I have a brand new Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56 in the safe and am thinking it will be a good fit for the rifle. Any of you guys running scopes with 12-15x on the top end regret not having more magnification for coyote hunting?

I also have a Sig whiskey5 5-25x52 that I could put on it...thinking I would prefer 3 on the low end and the bigger objective for low light.

Last edited:

Sykes

LRH Team Member
I have a VX5HD 3-15x44 on my 22-250 and it works well. Previous to the Leupold I had a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 that was great. Love my Leupolds but wish I had that Zeiss back for some of the longer shots

HARPERC

It depends on your hunting style, some carry a shotgun and rifle. I try to get equipment that covers the per cent ages best. Meaning nothing is perfect, and setting up to handle 5% of the opportunities, but makes the 95% more difficult isn’t sensible. I like the. VX6 2-12x or 3-18x

FIGJAM

LRH Team Member
It depends on your hunting style, some carry a shotgun and rifle. I try to get equipment that covers the per cent ages best. Meaning nothing is perfect, and setting up to handle 5% of the opportunities, but makes the 95% more difficult isn’t sensible. I like the. VX6 2-12x or 3-18x
I usually don’t carry a shotgun - I shot a couple last year at around 30 yards, one while running away from me...finding him at 6x was a chore.

Elkeater

I’ve been using an AR all winter with a 1-6x24 vortex on it. Haven’t had any issues out to 250 yards but most of my coyotes are called in and shot at 40-70 yards. Had a few shots between 150-250. I did have some really long range opportunities but were talking like 600+ and I don’t think the 40gr vmax was something I wanted to shoot that far.

FIGJAM

LRH Team Member
I’ve been using an AR all winter with a 1-6x24 vortex on it. Haven’t had any issues out to 250 yards but most of my coyotes are called in and shot at 40-70 yards. Had a few shots between 150-250. I did have some really long range opportunities but were talking like 600+ and I don’t think the 40gr vmax was something I wanted to shoot that far.
I had some long opportunities last year that I passed up because I was shooting a 40gr vmax too. This rifle is a 6mm creedmoor - planning on running the 108eldms so I can take some longer shots.

Elkeater

I had some long opportunities last year that I passed up because I was shooting a 40gr vmax too. This rifle is a 6mm creedmoor - planning on running the 108eldms so I can take some longer shots.
I’ve kinda been itching for a 6 creed for long shots too. Think I’d go with the Sig for that gun and keep a shotgun in my lap for surprise dogs.

nmbarta

I have several scopes in the 20-30 power range, and a rarely turn them past 15. I do on targets sometimes, but never when I'm hunting unless it's to try to get a better look.
Oddly enough, my groups tend to be better with 15x than 25x on targets. I suspect it's do to feeling more steady and not over thinking the shot, but who knows.

del2les

I've run 4-12x, 4-16x and 6-24x on several rifles, and excluding the intentional LR (800+) shots, I find the lower end power ranges handle everything out to 600 or so.

xsn10s

I’ve been using an AR all winter with a 1-6x24 vortex on it. Haven’t had any issues out to 250 yards but most of my coyotes are called in and shot at 40-70 yards.
I ran a 1.5-5.5 Zeiss Conquest on my M4 for rats and yotes. My HBAR wears a 4-14 cheapy Nikon for longer shots on rats and rock chucks. I want to change out the Nikon for something with a larger field of view and better glass. I'll take brighter, clearer glass over magnification.

xsn10s

This rifle is a 6mm creedmoor - planning on running the 108eldms so I can take some longer shots.
So my thinking is my M4 is what I use when moving from spot to spot for quick offhand shots, close in shots, or running shots. I'll be switching to 53gr VMAX since it should give me a good blend of explosiveness for rats and range with it's .290 G1 BC. I have a 4.5-14x50 VariXIII LR Mildot on my PSS. That may move onto my 260 AI for the longer shots. You could do something like that. Or a 2.5-16 Bushnell Elite, or any of the new 3-15, 3-21's.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce