Regret not having more magnification?

FIGJAM

Hey guys - just picked up a new rifle which will be a dedicated coyote gun. I have traditionally had something in the 6-24x50 range on my coyote rifles. I have a brand new Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56 in the safe and am thinking it will be a good fit for the rifle. Any of you guys running scopes with 12-15x on the top end regret not having more magnification for coyote hunting?

I also have a Sig whiskey5 5-25x52 that I could put on it...thinking I would prefer 3 on the low end and the bigger objective for low light.

Last edited:
I have a VX5HD 3-15x44 on my 22-250 and it works well. Previous to the Leupold I had a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 that was great. Love my Leupolds but wish I had that Zeiss back for some of the longer shots

It depends on your hunting style, some carry a shotgun and rifle. I try to get equipment that covers the per cent ages best. Meaning nothing is perfect, and setting up to handle 5% of the opportunities, but makes the 95% more difficult isn't sensible. I like the. VX6 2-12x or 3-18x

It depends on your hunting style, some carry a shotgun and rifle. I try to get equipment that covers the per cent ages best. Meaning nothing is perfect, and setting up to handle 5% of the opportunities, but makes the 95% more difficult isn't sensible. I like the. VX6 2-12x or 3-18x

I usually don't carry a shotgun - I shot a couple last year at around 30 yards, one while running away from me...finding him at 6x was a chore.

I've been using an AR all winter with a 1-6x24 vortex on it. Haven't had any issues out to 250 yards but most of my coyotes are called in and shot at 40-70 yards. Had a few shots between 150-250. I did have some really long range opportunities but were talking like 600+ and I don't think the 40gr vmax was something I wanted to shoot that far.

I've been using an AR all winter with a 1-6x24 vortex on it. Haven't had any issues out to 250 yards but most of my coyotes are called in and shot at 40-70 yards. Had a few shots between 150-250. I did have some really long range opportunities but were talking like 600+ and I don't think the 40gr vmax was something I wanted to shoot that far.

I had some long opportunities last year that I passed up because I was shooting a 40gr vmax too. This rifle is a 6mm creedmoor - planning on running the 108eldms so I can take some longer shots.

I had some long opportunities last year that I passed up because I was shooting a 40gr vmax too. This rifle is a 6mm creedmoor - planning on running the 108eldms so I can take some longer shots.

I've kinda been itching for a 6 creed for long shots too. Think I'd go with the Sig for that gun and keep a shotgun in my lap for surprise dogs.

I have several scopes in the 20-30 power range, and a rarely turn them past 15. I do on targets sometimes, but never when I'm hunting unless it's to try to get a better look.
Oddly enough, my groups tend to be better with 15x than 25x on targets. I suspect it's do to feeling more steady and not over thinking the shot, but who knows.

I've run 4-12x, 4-16x and 6-24x on several rifles, and excluding the intentional LR (800+) shots, I find the lower end power ranges handle everything out to 600 or so.

I've been using an AR all winter with a 1-6x24 vortex on it. Haven't had any issues out to 250 yards but most of my coyotes are called in and shot at 40-70 yards.
I ran a 1.5-5.5 Zeiss Conquest on my M4 for rats and yotes. My HBAR wears a 4-14 cheapy Nikon for longer shots on rats and rock chucks. I want to change out the Nikon for something with a larger field of view and better glass. I'll take brighter, clearer glass over magnification.

This rifle is a 6mm creedmoor - planning on running the 108eldms so I can take some longer shots.
So my thinking is my M4 is what I use when moving from spot to spot for quick offhand shots, close in shots, or running shots. I'll be switching to 53gr VMAX since it should give me a good blend of explosiveness for rats and range with it's .290 G1 BC. I have a 4.5-14x50 VariXIII LR Mildot on my PSS. That may move onto my 260 AI for the longer shots. You could do something like that. Or a 2.5-16 Bushnell Elite, or any of the new 3-15, 3-21's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.