Reducing ES

Buckreed

Here is my question to everyone. How do you reduce your ES?
I shot a ladder of 15 rounds (incremental at 0.2 gr. each) over my magneto speed, plotted the results, and found two flat spots of velocity.
43.5 and 44.5 were both in the middle of the flat areas.
I loaded 5 at 43.5 and 5 at 44.5. All ten were loaded exactly the same as the rounds in the ladder.
On the 5 of 43.5 I got an ES of 78
On the 5 of the 44.5 I got an ES of 51

Obviously I would like this to be closer to 10. What do you suggest? Different brass? Neck Tension issue?
Here are the components I'm using.
RL 15
Winchester Brass
Berger 175gr VLD
Federal #210 primers
0.015 jump

Thanks for the help!

That E.S is enormous, I would switch powders. Win brass isn't bad after its sorted and prepped.
When you start getting the E.S down in the neighborhood of 20 then start paying attention to your targets.

If you have them , primer change is a quick way to see if a difference can be reached. Otherwise, Set your neck tension using mandrels. This is easy to do and is faster than weight sorting. Next I would trim the necks because after the mandrel pushes out the neck all the inconsistencies are there for you to trim off.Depending on the purpose of the cartridge you will only need .001 neck tension for target shooting but can use 2 to 3 For other purposes.
However there is something else to consider.

Last edited:
Ok, so my logic maybe flawed here but it grabbed the last five I shot with the ES of 51. Here is what I found.
SD of 0.87 does that seem reasonable? I can check volume next too. Good comment from JMW67 just haven't got that far yet.
I'm thinking if I can show that the brass was not an issue (on these 5) maybe I move on to neck tension. Obviously sorting would be in my prep process going forward as well.
What do you think?

You could also mess with seating depth that does help your accuracy and also can impact ES/SD. Lastly,Depending on the powder and how quickly it burns , I feel that sometimes it can disrupt the neck tension on the bullet when it is set to loose. Causing the bullet to start its path down the barrel prior to the powder pressure reaching its potential or in a more gaseous state. So Based on the weight of the bullet and the powder charge are you shooting at 308 and or a 708?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.