Reducing ES

If you have them , primer change is a quick way to see if a difference can be reached. Otherwise, Set your neck tension use mandrels. This is easy to do and is faster than weight sorting. Next I would trim the necks because after the mandrel pushes out the neck all the inconsistencies are there for you to trim off.Depending on the purpose of the cartridge you will only need .001 neck tension for target shooting but can use 2 to 3 For other purposes.
However there is something to consider.
No alternatives for different primers for me right now. I do always trim with each reload as my standard prep. Thanks for the info on the neck tension. I really have never paid much attention to it but as I'm getting further into this I'm seeing all these holes in my process.

You could also mess with seating depth that does help your accuracy and also can impact ES/SD. Lastly,Depending on the powder and how quickly it burns , I feel that sometimes it can disrupt the neck tension on the bullet when it is set to lose. Causing the bullet to start its path down the barrel prior to the powder pressure reaching its potential or in a more gaseous state. So Based on the weight of the bullet and the powder charge are you shooting at 308 and or a 708?
yes, 308. Sorry I should have included that.

Ok, so my logic maybe flawed here but it grabbed the last five I shot with the ES of 51. Here is what I found.
SD of 0.87 does that seem reasonable? I can check volume next too. Good comment from JMW67 just haven't got that far yet.
I'm thinking if I can show that the brass was not an issue (on these 5) maybe I move on to neck tension. Obviously sorting would be in my prep process going forward as well.
What do you think?
Are those the weights of the empty cases? Did you clean them before weighing them? Otherwise carbon buildup can throw them off. I feel for you if you are using a beam scale. There's some really good small digital scales for not much money that can speed up that process.

Also are you annealing them after every firing or at least every two?

I dont think neck tension or anything like that is gonna get you down to the E.S you looking for unless you have some really screwed up variations on your neck tension. Powder and primer combos are your best bet to get you close.
That being said full prep on the brass will take the variable out of it no matter what combo you use

I am annealing with each firing. I'll pick up a small scale this week sometime.
I just weighed them as is after firing so you are correct, they should probably cleaned up first. I can tumble them for an hour or so an see if they change.

I dont think neck tension or anything like that is gonna get you down to the E.S you looking for unless you have some really screwed up variations on your neck tension. Powder and primer combos are your best bet to get you close.
That being said full prep on the brass will take the variable out of it no matter what combo you use
Thanks for the help. I'll check around with some of my shooting buddies to see if I can talk them out of a few primers. At times like this it will be a true test of friendship, hahaha.

before I did anything else I would load three more in weighted and prepped brass double checking powder charge and chrono again with several minutes between shots just to see if it is really as bad as you think

Theres a few things to look for on Win brass. One is if your up for it is by internal volume but ive found just weight sorting achieves what I'm looking for and Win brass is notorious for burrs on the end of the flash holes inside the case.
They make a flash hole deburing tool that works great. I would get some Lapua or ADG next time you buy brass its worth it.

before I did anything else I would load three more in weighted and prepped brass double checking powder charge and chrono again with several minutes between shots just to see if it is really as bad as you think
I'll do that. Thanks. I'll post the results tomorrow

Theres a few things to look for on Win brass. One is if your up for it is by internal volume but ive found just weight sorting achieves what I'm looking for and Win brass is notorious for burrs on the end of the flash holes inside the case.
They make a flash hole deburing tool that works great. I would get some Lapua or ADG next time you buy brass its worth it.
Yep, I have that tool and did debur them. I'll see if there is any lapua out there right now. I've been on the ADG wait list for a few months now. Thanks for the help

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.