Reducing Bolt Diameter

Edd

Is it possible to reduce the bolt diameter .003" on a lathe and maintain a good finish?

Is it possible to reduce the bolt diameter .003" on a lathe and maintain a good finish?

I think you're asking about the bolt BODY diameter?

With 0.003" being the goal of reduction while keeping the finish good and the reduced diameter accurate, I use a tool post grinder but that's because I have one and make use of it. Buying one of these for just a couple of small jobs is prohibitively expensive.

If your skills with insert selection or tool bit grinding is less than you feel you need, find a small grinding shop to handle this for you. Otherwise get some suggestions for the proper insert or the best angle to use for your project. You could cut the bolt on your lathe leaving the diameter slightly fat then use fine sanding material with a flat backer to polish.

To improve the looks and function, I would recommend jeweling the bolt. This greatly improves the looks and also helps hold lubricants for smoother operation.
This can be done on some basic tools and does a great job. There are plenty of Videos on this process but this is one that is very easy.

The main advantage is that the bolt diameter is only reduced by .0001 to .0002 tenths of a thousandths at the most so the bolt to action fit is still very good.

J E CUSTOM

To improve the looks and function, I would recommend jeweling the bolt. This greatly improves the looks and also helps hold lubricants for smoother operation.
This can be done on some basic tools and does a great job. There are plenty of Videos on this process but this is one that is very easy.

The main advantage is that the bolt diameter is only reduced by .0001 to .0002 tenths of a thousandths at the most so the bolt to action fit is still very good.

J E CUSTOM

Shame you don't see him actually do an jeweling!
Just before & after shots.

I think you're asking about the bolt BODY diameter?

With 0.003" being the goal of reduction while keeping the finish good and the reduced diameter accurate, I use a tool post grinder but that's because I have one and make use of it. Buying one of these for just a couple of small jobs is prohibitively expensive.

If your skills with insert selection or tool bit grinding is less than you feel you need, find a small grinding shop to handle this for you. Otherwise get some suggestions for the proper insert or the best angle to use for your project. You could cut the bolt on your lathe leaving the diameter slightly fat then use fine sanding material with a flat backer to polish.
Yes, bolt body diameter. What do you charge to grind one?

I once hired a youngster(12 year old boy)grandkid to the owner of a saw shop) to jewel a couple knives for me....
He already knew how to sharpen to a razors edge...so I 'told him'..didnt ask....to figure out how to jewel and do those two knives...
Went back in a weeks time and checked them out....he did a very good job...now he knows the principles of jeweling..and he has the tools.....good money maker for a teenager...

What do you charge to grind one?

I use a tool post grinder but that's because I have one and make use of it. Buying one of these for just a couple of small jobs is prohibitively expensive.

It's a tool post grinder as I wrote above:

0900016AA-24.jpg

At $1,300 to over $2,000, they are a tad expensive for just a couple of jobs. But when you have to remove small amounts of material and leave a great finish, this is the tool.

A local grind shop may be able to lend a hand without costing an arm and a leg.

Edd...what are you trying to do by reducing by .003....
Just want it shiny...cause that amount won't reduce the weight...
My Smith ran a bolt under a jewlers buffing wheel......bright and shiny...
I had one shot with a tungsten paint...looked really nice...
But you need to watch just how much paint is put on...as it may bind in the receiver.....if you have lots of slop it could improve contact...

Yes you can if you take your time and set it up dial it in good in a four jaw chuck . I myself would use a cobalt tool instead of a carbide tool set at just one or two thousands below center and your lathe is tight without a lot of slack in the gibs or half nuts .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.