Bolt Diameters

In order to change the OD or ID of the action enough to cause the bolt to seize or tighten, the action would have to be heated hot enough that it would be very uncomfortable to touch. "BUT"with
a long cylindrical shape with large openings on one side and the bottom, the receiver could certainly move out of straight/true buy a few thousandths causing the binding. It would only have to move a few thousandths to bind if the receiver was extremely close to the same as the bolt.

With the large openings, one side of the receiver the solid side is much stronger than the side with the two large cutouts and any expansion would not be constant throughout the entire length. (Causing the action to warp toward the weaker side). This effect is the reason that most bench rest actions have a solid bottom (No magazine cutout).

Heating/cooling causes all things to expand or contract but this can be dealt with, with the proper clearance. In my opinion the problem is the shift of the action straightness over its length, not its girth.(Example; A uneven growth of .0005 per inch, would throw the action out of straight on a 7 or 8" action by .0035 to .004) there went the clearance if you started with .002 thousandths.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with you 100%..!

Most Remington 700s have a bolt race ID of .703"-.7045' The differences usually comes from warpage from the heat treating process. One can run a .703" piloted bolt race reamer down the bolt race and open up the tight spots then use a .701" bolt. If it is really I run a .705",.708", .710" reamer down the bolt race and use a .703",.706", .708", bolt. I all goes as planned I will be offering my own (not made in Oregon) Remington 700 bolt replacements by summers end. They will be two piece bolts that can be TIG welded, Laser welded or Silver soldered. Availabe in M-16 extractors or Sako Extractors.
Nat Lambeth

I was going to try and give an explanation for the problem, but after seeing this I am not sure that I can stop laughing long enough to type.

Ok after several tries I will begin.

In order to change the OD or ID of the action enough to cause the bolt to seize or tighten, the action would have to be heated hot enough that it would be very uncomfortable to touch. "BUT"with
a long cylindrical shape with large openings on one side and the bottom, the receiver could certainly move out of straight/true buy a few thousandths causing the binding. It would only have to move a few thousandths to bind if the receiver was extremely close to the same as the bolt.

With the large openings, one side of the receiver the solid side is much stronger than the side with the two large cutouts and any expansion would not be constant throughout the entire length. (Causing the action to warp toward the weaker side). This effect is the reason that most bench rest actions have a solid bottom (No magazine cutout).

Heating/cooling causes all things to expand or contract but this can be dealt with, with the proper clearance. In my opinion the problem is the shift of the action straightness over its length, not its girth.(Example; A uneven growth of .0005 per inch, would throw the action out of straight on a 7 or 8" action by .0035 to .004) there went the clearance if you started with .002 thousandths.

I hope my spelling and typing is not to bad. I am still laughing.

J E CUSTOM

This is very true IF it were just laying there on the table. If its secured in a stock or chassis, what then?

This is very true IF it were just laying there on the table. If its secured in a stock or chassis, what then?

The stock and the chassis combined are not as strong as the action and will not straighten an action.

The stock material and the insert also have a different coefficient of expansion and a good bedding
will insulate the action from transferring some of the heat.

All it can do is try and minimize any warping, a good stress free bedding will also help but it will not eliminate binding if there is not enough clearance between the bolt and the action.

It all boils down to having enough clearance to minimize the effects of deformation caused by heat.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts