Bedding pillar diameters

Is there a preferred diameter for bedding pillars? 5/8" or 9/16" seems to work quite well.

I use 1/2" to make my own and then radius the top to fit the receiver with a boring head.

39084d1411802003t-drilling-wood-stock-pillars-home-made-aluminium-pillar-0.5-stock-trigger-relief-cut-early-70s-sav-110-9-16-.jpg

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

Nice looking pillar Clark. That rough finish really locks them into the epoxy. Same way we do ours. We also use 1/2" inch in a 9/16" hole. Any bigger and the holes will break out into the inletted portion and end up not fully supported. I can't imagine trying to get a 5/8" pillar in there.

I tap the hole in the stock for more grip there.

Attachments

• tap the action screw hole in the stock 11-10-2014.jpg
    tap the action screw hole in the stock 11-10-2014.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 107
Tapping the stock is a good idea for epoxy to get a good hold too. That hole looks kind of small. You don't try to actually thread the pillar into the stock do you?

No.
I pre compress the pillars with screws and narrow washers, put epoxy on the pillars and the holes, and push them in with the receiver, but no bottom metal.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.