Reducing Barrel Length and Effect on Accuracy

General RE LEE

My apologies for a likely redundant question, but will having a competent gun smith cut off 4-5" of barrel length of a lightweight sporter barrel like a Tikka have a negative impact on accuracy?

I am getting into the suppressor world and I have a 24" Tikka T3x that would potentially be a good candidate to get cut back.

My smith said he needs diameter to be .720 to do a 5/8 x 24" threading. I am going to measure with my calipers tonight how much barrel would be cut off for this to work.

I don't want to destroy a fine shooting gun in the process.

No, shorter typically makes them more rigid and more times than not that makes them easier to tune. I am sure it's happened but I've not seen one lose accuracy by cutting it down.

Good luck and enjoy the short barrel, they are addicting. My current favorite is a 16" 6.5saum.

My apologies but a quick search shows the Tikka T3x barrel contours are too skinny for a 5/8 x 24 for a direct mount suppressor. I will likely get a 20" barrel 6.5 Creedmoor in the CTR platform.

^^^
9/16" is also an option, including .30 cal.
There's other ways to skin this cat as well. Adapters can be used, and mounts can also be indexed off a flat muzzle rather than the barrel torque shoulder.

That all said, chopping a sporter contour barrel will make it stiffer ( a good thing) and shouldn't affect accuracy. However, it will cost you some velocity- and 4-5" could be in the neighborhood of 100 fps.

you might have to use a faster burning powder to bring back any velocity back. my 30.06 was cut from 24 to 18 inches with very little vel. loss and I went to IMR 8208xbr powder and got it back and a little faster along with a better handling rifle, balance is great now. so have fun

My apologies for a likely redundant question, but will having a competent gun smith cut off 4-5" of barrel length of a lightweight sporter barrel like a Tikka have a negative impact on accuracy?

I am getting into the suppressor world and I have a 24" Tikka T3x that would potentially be a good candidate to get cut back.

My smith said he needs diameter to be .720 to do a 5/8 x 24" threading. I am going to measure with my calipers tonight how much barrel would be cut off for this to work.

I don't want to destroy a fine shooting gun in the process.
Shorter is stiffer all other things remaining equal!