Redding Premium Deluxe Series Dies-Anyone Using them?

WildRose

I've been giving serious consideration to purchasing some of these dies but they are considerably more expensive than the Hornady and RCBS dies I've bought in the past.

I'm not afraid to spend what I need to for quality equipment and the idea of not having to worry so much about stuck cases (carbide resizing dies) definitely appeals to me as does the reduced mess with the lack of needing to lubricate cases.

Are they worth it?

Have a look at this set::
Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set 260 Remington

I have two of the competition seater dies one 300 WSM and one 300 RUM. IMHO they are great at seating bullets for ~.001 or less runout. The seater offered in the premium set doesn't look like the competition seater. It looks more like the add-on dialable VLD seater that they sell separately for regular dies. I have one of those, and it does not seat as well as the competition seater. I have one of the add-on seaters for a 6.5 CM. There IS a difference.

I would spend the bucks on the competition seater and a good FL die with a bushing. Then try to get the carbide expander separately. Don't know if they do that though...

I'm getting away from the expander altogether, unless I have a dented mouth. I just use the bushing to downsize the mouth.

Oh... And I hope you do a separate review thread for the Ruger FTW 260. I would love to know how it works out for you.

Have a look at this set::
Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set 260 Remington

I have two of the competition seater dies one 300 WSM and one 300 RUM. IMHO they are great at seating bullets for ~.001 or less runout. The seater offered in the premium set doesn't look like the competition seater. It looks more like the add-on dialable VLD seater that they sell separately for regular dies. I have one of those, and it does not seat as well as the competition seater. I have one of the add-on seaters for a 6.5 CM. There IS a difference.

I would spend the bucks on the competition seater and a good FL die with a bushing. Then try to get the carbide expander separately. Don't know if they do that though...

I'm getting away from the expander altogether, unless I have a dented mouth. I just use the bushing to downsize the mouth.

Oh... And I hope you do a separate review thread for the Ruger FTW 260. I would love to know how it works out for you.
I definitely will, thanks for your feedback.

As I understand it though on these dies it's not just a carbide expander, the neck of the die is carbide as well eliminating the need for lubing cases. I hate case lube but I hate stuck cases even worse!

I absolutely hate the RCBS expander and deprimer so I'd like to get away from them if I can but I want to be assured that if I'm going to spend the money to upgrade what I have as well as to add a few more I spend my money wisely.

BTW, I already have some of the S type dies, I'm just debating on going with the PD's because they seem to offer what I'm looking for without spending twice their price for their top end competition/national match series dies.

Forster match sizing die and Wilson in line seater
Full length or neck sizing or both?

I prefer to have both and with most cases every 3-5 firings do the FL resize and the rest of the time neck size only. Also, given a preference I'd rather stick with matched sets vs using a mish mash of different manufacturers components for each caliber.

I've actually been pretty pleased with the Lee and Hornady dies I've used over the years but I'm all grown up now and want to upgrade.

Thanks however for the suggestion.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.