recontouring barrel

Win.308Stealth

I have a .300 rum with a heavy 30 Inch barrel (krieger). This rifle was built for shooting targets, now i want to start using it for hunting. The barrel has less than 150 rounds through it, so replacing is out of the question. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, of recontouring a barrel after it has been used. Would you recommend doing this? Also, does anyone know smiths that would do this work? I want to contour it to a smaller diameter and flute it. Thanks for any advice you can share.

I wouldn't recommend it, especially on a nice barrel like your kreiger that's been stress relieved before it was shipped to you. Once you contour it, its anyone's guess how well it will shoot after that.

I have a related question.

My #5 profile 30 cal Krieger barrel is finished "as shipped" and shoots lights out accurate.

I would like to have it bead blasted.

Any issues?

I have a .300 rum with a heavy 30 Inch barrel (krieger). This rifle was built for shooting targets, now i want to start using it for hunting. The barrel has less than 150 rounds through it, so replacing is out of the question. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, of recontouring a barrel after it has been used. Would you recommend doing this? Also, does anyone know smiths that would do this work? I want to contour it to a smaller diameter and flute it. Thanks for any advice you can share.

There is a safe way to lighten a barrel that long without risk of effecting accuracy buy re-contouring
it.

For hunting I would recommend shortening it to 24" you wont lose much velocity and it will be much handier when hunting. Also there is a good chance that accuracy will improve with the shorter/ stiffer
barrel.

If it is fluted you will not be able to remove that much, but even a 26'' barrel will remove lots of weight and still be handy.

Also a new crown never hurts.

J E CUSTOM

Shortening the barrel never even crossed my mind. I might explore that option. Between shortening and fluting, it might bring the weight down to what I am looking for. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.