barrel

Gator26

This may be kind of a dumb question but i have a stainless barrel/action can it be blued or changed to a flat black color or do i have to go get a new barrel? sorry if its a stupid question. thanks alot guys

There are a couple different methods for blackening stainless. Du-Lite makes a chemical oxide which is similiar to blueing but for stainless. You could also black Teflon coat your barreled action, sometimes called "Black Ice". Dura-Coat is another nice finish and doesn't need to be baked on, or there are other spray on finishes that do need to be baked on. Chemical Oxide is the only one that does not create a build up that I know of though.

If you truly want a finish that will take REAL WORLD abuse then there is only one process that really measures up.

Vapor Deposition. Take a moment to look up MMI (Molecular Metalurgy Inc.) in Southern California. The guy's name is Nathan.

Vapor Deposition is a process where various elements are introduced into a vacuum and then electrically deposited onto a surface. This results in a very very thin film layer that is permanently bonded to the substrate. Typically the blend is Titanium Aluminum Nitride and that results in a charcoal finish. There are many options though when it comes to colors and surface finishes.

Surfaces hardness is around 96 Rockwell C scale, it is corrosion PROOF.

This is the same process that's done on carbide tooling used in CNC equipment, Kershaw knives, drills, etc.

It's not the most affordable option, but if you want it to last and want it tough then it is the ONLY option.

Good luck.

Chad

Brownell's sells the chemicals and equipment for hot blueing stainless. I don't know what the chemical is or how durable the finish is. They will, though.

Good luck, Tom

also black chrome is an option as well. I have a couple that have have been chromed and they are as tough as nails! no rust, and holds up great.

Stainless barrels can be bead blasted and sprayed with flat black enamal paint. It will scratch but can be easily repainted. Multiple colors and camo are good options too. Cost is less than a few dollars. If you are a poor man like me it is a real solution.
Rustystud

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.