Barrel question

nooch2222

Looking for advice on a barrel that I'm interested in buying from a guy. The barrel is a custom barrel from a rem 700 already threaded and clambered. So my question is can i just thread the barrel on any rem 700 action with a go and no go gauge? Or would a gunsmith need to do additional work to the action and barrel?

Last edited:
Looking for advice on a barrel that I'm interested in buying from a guy. The barrel is a custom barrel from a rem 700 already threaded and clambered. So my question is can i just thread the barrel on any rem 700 action with a go and no go gauge? Or would a gunsmith need to do additional work to the action and barrel?
How much for the barrel? What cartridge?

That makes sense. So i guess if I go this route might as well have the action worked on as well right?

Lot's of people will have their opinions on this. But I've had great "luck" / experiences with stock R700 actions without any work on them and using after market barrels.

To me, putting money in to an R700 action isn't worth it. I don't have any sentimental value attached to them. They weren't handed down to me by anyone of meaning. So, to me they are economical actions/rifles. I do have one Varmint VS Special that is just too beautiful to part with, but I'm still not putting money in to it to make it a better shooter. Your mileage may vary. Maybe you have a rifle that your grandfather gave to you and you want to keep shooting it and have it be the best shooter possible.

I take that extra money for smith work and just put it towards semi custom actions like Defiance, Zermatt, Kelbly, ARC, Impact, etc, etc. In the end it's about the same total cost and I get the added features that make it worth while.

I do think spending money on a decent barrel for an R700 is worth it though. They make great shooters for short money.

LuvDog is right.
Unmollested 700's usually screw up and headspace correctly …especially if you have the original recoil lug for the barrel.
I've had one that needed a slightly thinner lug because the headspace was a tad long and would close on a no go.
Remington had a couple recoil lugs with different thickness.

What does custom barrel mean?

If it's a remage that was on an unmolested R700. Then thread it on. Measure headspace with gauges, torque the barrel nut and enjoy.

If it was a shouldered barrel made specifically for an action that was trued or other wise altered, then you may have issues.
Yes shouldered made for another action. I'm just going to pass on the barrel. Thank you

Truing up the action face with a perfectly flat recoil lug is important. (pin it while you're at it) Going through the bolt and fitting to a specific trigger to get the ignition uniformity up, is important.

If you're a handloader, having long headspace can easily be dealt with by fire forming... but it won't be compatible with factory ammo if it's too long.

If the headspace is too short, you can get a custom ground recoil lug to fix it. (within reason)

I still remember 20'ish years ago, dealing with rem700's on my custom guns. They sucked then, they suck worse now. These days, spending ANY time or money on a rem700 is a waste. There are so many good actions at every level of the price spectrum that it is just silly to even try to build on one.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

You wouldn't need a smith if you have the action wrench and barrel vice. If you have a short chambered barrel you can hand ream at home and headspace with a rented reamer/ headspace gauges. A remage barrel would be easier. But if you're only going to do one rifle the cost of the action wrench, barrel vice, and renting the reamer/ headspace gauge might cost you about the same as a new Remarms ADL. Here's my new Remarms' ADL in a used KRG Bravo group with my handloads shot off my backpack. I still haven't fireformed my brass.
1702574898926.jpeg