Recoil Bedding Attempt: Part Deux

It appears that you did a neat and tidy job. Everyones tips are good. Shouldn't you also bed the first 2" or so of the barrel? Or did I miss something in your pictures?

I have only epoxy bedded two rifles. I decided it was way too much work compared to the reasonable fees a gunsmith charges.

Ok let's try this again. Everything is like the video except the plumbers putty shot out of action screw holes and epoxy got in there. I put a ton of releasing agent on screws, backed them out and did it again. Tons of Hornady One shot on screws.
You can use wd-40 on qtips to clean up with on jb weld and it won't effect the cure rate I use it all the time removing excess on the handles of the knives I make. David

I prefer to use stock inletting guide screws. Makes the process much easier. You can make your own by getting/buying long screws/bolts of the proper diameter and thread pitch and cutting off the head to they will slip through the stock action screw holes easily. They are also available premade for a little more money in the thread pitch of many brands of rifles.
Whichever inletting guide screws I use, I will put 1/4 x20 threads on the blank end so with a nut on that end, they can be torqued to almost the desired torque for that rifle action. I believe that gives me a more honest end result. Of course, the threaded end I created has to be wrapped with a thin tape, so no epoxy is picked up when passing thru the stock. For that I usually use a good painter's tape.

For applying the epoxy, I use a syringe whenever possible. I believe that way I get a more even coating.
The epoxy I use has a long setup time. The type usually is stronger in bond and durability. AND that gives me time to "get 'er done" without hurrying.
Little trick I learned on this site, Plastic Single Edge Razor Blades for neatening up the overflow.
Still in all, Good Job !

I've been lucky enough to have an established.5 or better load on the rifles I've bedded. I know I have my bedding correct when I don't have a mysterious flyer(s). I'll shoot around 20 sometimes. Sometimes I'll get 2 touching and then the group will literally move. Just what I've noticed through the years trouble shooting. So many variables

I bought a cheap 1.5" plastic putty knife and cut it down to about 1/2". Works great.

Attachments

• 5CE64A1A-42E0-4C30-A63D-2A8D557818BD.png
    5CE64A1A-42E0-4C30-A63D-2A8D557818BD.png
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 65
Not bad for a second attempt! Great improvements, can't wait to see the finished product. But here is a couple pointers to make the next one better!

Hopefully the putty in and around the action screws didn't make the action sit up higher, that can affect the distance from the bottom metal to the action, making it not feed properly. The headless action screws with a couple layers of tape around them is simply better, they help to center up the action in the screw holes, keeping it in line as well as plumb to the pillars.

Use more bedding material next time as well, you may end up having a patchy looking bed job. I try to make sure I have squeeze out over the entire length of the action, this ensures full contact. Will likely still be plenty for what your after, but could be better.

With using more bedding material, also remove the bolt release and fill with putty, or at least cover with tape. And put plumbers putty into the trigger inlet and pin holes, if bedding happens to make it into there, you can create a mechanical lock.

As stated, no need for the tape to wrap around into the action inlet, though there isn't enough bedding material to squeeze up in there. If it is a tight fit there however, it can add a small amount of stress or possibly cause some troubles with alignment.

And you don't need that much release on the action, you want a tight fit, and I can see the ridges from the release compound, so it will likely show up in the bedding. Do make sure you put some release agent on tape too though, otherwise the bedding will stick to it and look ugly.

With the electrical tape, less is more. I usually don't even use it any more, but if I do, then maybe one light wrap. The point is to be stress free, and while the amount of stress induced with electrical tape will be very miniscule, it can still exist.

The centering/leveling tape on the front is good, I generally use that method if it is a stiff enough stock.

I usually spend nearly 2 hours on prep before I start mixing my bedding compound, prep is extremely important, and I would say males up 80% of the effort for a quality bed job, 15% is clean up work, and 5% is mixing and applying the compound and placing the action in the stock. But when you pop the action out and do your clean up, and your bedding job looks as good or better than some professional jobs, it's all worth it.

Here are a few images of my prep showing some examples of what I stated...

Taping and a putty dam to stop front flow. I mushed UT down more than that, I didn't want it to touch the barrel when the action was set in, just make a stop point so not as much flowed forward and clean up was easier.
20190518_212850.jpg

This is with release compound on the action, kiwi clear show polish or Johnsons paste wax, heated and polished on to a very very thin layer. Putty blocking off where I don't want to chance epoxy getting.
20190403_105911.jpg

The tape I was taking about to center and plumb up the action screw holes and pillars.
20160302_204808.jpg

More putty work, this already has release compound applied. I don't put putty in the feed port anymore, the epoxy doesn't get up in there as gravity makes it go down and not into there. However I did not remove the bolt stop here, and almost payed for it. The squeeze out almost got into the bolt stop, it was close! Lesson learned!
20181227_214659.jpg

Prep work done, ready to *lightly* screw the action screws with a little tape around them into the action, with the cut to length pillars on (you can see the pillars with action screws in them if you zoom in), mix bedding and apply.
20200810_181312.jpg

Then, after you pull the action out, carefully clean up with a razor knife and dremmel, and it will come out great!

Last edited:

Recent Posts