Recipie for a 300 rum

I have taken many elk with the 230gr Targets and three buddies used my rifle for longer shots this year. They each shot an elk and one shot a deer. I was able to take a bull and a cow as well and nothing seems to make it more then a few steps if any at all.

My bull was shot at 754 yards. He was slightly quartering away from me feeding. Bullet entered as a perfect heart lung shot and stopped in his left shoulder. He dropped then stood up made three steps down the hill then down for good. This is what I recovered in his shoulder upon processing.

image.jpg

My buddy who shot a deer with it recovered this in her neck. She was quartering away hard at 650 yards feeding. Bullet entered left side behind the rib cage went through the lungs and heart and stopped in her neck dropping her on the spot. I will post the picture of what was recovered in a new post as it will not let me upload it to this post with the first picture as well.

Eric

My buddy has some of that powder. By chance does anyone live in Butler PA, I found some H1000 but the store does not ship. I see a lot of folks using the Berger 230, but if you call Berger, they will tell you they don't recommend it for hunting.

I finally had a chance to hit the range today. I want to thank everyone for their impute, i used the information learned here to start my load development I was shooting H1000 powder - 83 grains, 230 Berger Hybride bullets, the average FPS was 2694. The attached was my third and best 5 shot group at a 100 yards .Day at the range.JPG

I finally had a chance to hit the range today. I want to thank everyone for their impute, i used the information learned here to start my load development I was shooting H1000 powder - 83 grains, 230 Berger Hybride bullets, the average FPS was 2694. The attached was my third and best 5 shot group at a 100 yards .View attachment 46456

Push it up and start at 86 grains and work up to 88.5 looking for pressure signs. 87.5 is a sweet spot for several 300 RUMs with a 230 in RP brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.