Rebore vs Rebarrel?

I tend to doubt any of those saying rebarrel have ever had a rebore done. I have 4, two by JES and they are perfect. When a rebore is done you are working with destressed steel. You also keep your sights and blue. The only thing you want to do before sending a rifle to JES is to emery off and polish the original chambering designation. That will give him a clean spot to mark new chambering. A quality touch up blue will make it look like factory. 250 bucks and 2 week turnaround. Nothing is faster. When it's back it's ready to shoot.

I have three JES rebore barrels, two Ruger 77s from 30-06 to 35 Whelen and a BLR from .308 to .358 Winchester. These rifles are fairly accurate the Whelens will shoot one hole groups at 50 yards (my bear hunting needs) 1-1/12 inch groups at 100 yards and we shoot 8 inch steel plates at 300 yards with good consistency. I can say the .358 Winchester will shoot the same out to 100 yards, have never shot the rifle anything past the 100 yards.

Something for someone doing a "rebore" barrel job is to make sure that the "feed rails" are taken into consideration. With the BLR it went from a .308 Winchester to a .358 Winchester and the rifle really has not fed rounds properly since the rebore was done; and......I'm not blaming JES reboring job by any means. There's only a very slight difference in the case dimensions, however there seems to be enough difference to give me a feed problem with this rifle, and......as a result it simply sits in the safe because I do not trust it to be reliable for black bear hunting. I figured that the .308 Winchester magazine was the problem so bought a new .358 Winchester magazine (not a cheap date!!), still have the same feed problems. After the new .358 magazine I then started working the feed tabs on the .308 magazine without great results. The rifle will feed, however sometimes the bullets will feed out of the magazine, and...........I'm hijacking this thread!! Just like to add that the two 35 Whelens that JES rebored for us work perfectly without any issues whatsoever.

I bought a tikka 30-06 and am planning on sending it to jes for a rebore to 338-06 . Haven't heard nothing bad about his work . Everyone that I've talked to says nothing but good things about their services . I vote rebore

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.