Rebarreling a rifle how far do we need to go.

Why? There is a reason for its bad rep. The reviews of B&C stocks confirm it. Shoulder one. Fire two 300 Weatherby magnum shots and see if it holds POI. I agree that an Al bedding block works fine for some stocks.

Just so I don't have to build a rifle to do your test, maybe you can clarify why POI was shifting? Did it get bedded?

Just so I don't have to build a rifle to do your test, maybe you can clarify why POI was shifting? Did it get bedded?
My cousin sold that stock years ago. I'm assuming it had the Al block. He was given the Weatherby with two stocks. Don't feel you need to build a rifle. You may be a fan of B&C. I have factory, McMillan, AG and MPA stocks. :) I bed all my stocks except for the chassis.

I am getting some good information thanks guys. I have a friend with a 300 RUM built on a Weatherby MK V action and it shoots great. My hope is my MK V project will turn out the same. I don't want to break the bank but still want a shooter when done. Being in Canada my costs will likely be higher then what some of you have posted.
Bill, a few years back, I bought a barrel from a member here, #5 contour, brux, 4 groove, at 26 inches. Was going to build another STW, but decided to build a .280. Well, I had ran across a Winchester 670, plain Jane rifle. Bought it for $375 bucks. Bought a PTG reamer, and took it to my Smith. Well, my intention were to blueprint the action, replace the trigger, keracote the whole thing, well long story short, a few things came up. So, I told my smith to fit and chamber it, and maybe I'd get back to it at another time. I had bought a B/C stock before hand. Got the barreled action back, dropped it in the stock, after a little opening. Thst rifle shoots 1/4 minute or less to this very day. He charged me $300 to fit it, and chamber it. I later sold him the reamer. So, you do the math. Cheap rebarrel job, fractional moa results. Just saying!

I do like the idea of saving money and it sounds like a quality barrel will do wonders. Can a guy if he is looking for more do some of the fine tuning tricks like trueing the action. My other problem is I like to play with my new toys right away. This has been a 2 year plan already and has changed some from thebegining idea. At the start I was going to do this with my 338 Win Mag Sako. Then I found a really cheap MK V Weatherby to use. My plan is still to build a 338 RUM LR hunting rifle.

I do like the idea of saving money and it sounds like a quality barrel will do wonders. Can a guy if he is looking for more do some of the fine tuning tricks like trueing the action. My other problem is I like to play with my new toys right away. This has been a 2 year plan already and has changed some from thebegining idea. At the start I was going to do this with my 338 Win Mag Sako. Then I found a really cheap MK V Weatherby to use. My plan is still to build a 338 RUM LR hunting rifle.
That's the fun part about building a custom, or sometimes not. Second guessing, re thinking, what about this, what about that, etc. Depending on what action you have, mostly. Things should be done at and with a competent smith. As in doctors, there are some quacks, so buyer, beware. There are some good ones on this site btw. One thing my smith did for me. Was recut the threads, and square the receiver face. He indicated that was off, but is common with factory rifles. Threads were horrible! Bolt lapping can be done, but must be done when or before barrel is threaded, and headspace set. Hope this helps, not to complicate.

My cousin sold that stock years ago. I'm assuming it had the Al block. He was given the Weatherby with two stocks. Don't feel you need to build a rifle. You may be a fan of B&C. I have factory, McMillan, AG and MPA stocks. :) I bed all my stocks except for the chassis.
Interesting. Don't count me as a fan yet. I have to get the rifle finishes. I'm on the fence. I like what I'm holding, let's just say that.

I had bought a B/C stock before hand. Got the barreled action back, dropped it in the stock, after a little opening. Thst rifle shoots 1/4 minute or less to this very day.
Skim bedded or just bolted in?

Have a smith do the work that knows the MKV, you have gotten some advice that would absolutely mess up a MKV. They are very simple but have their own likes as well. Put money into a quality barrel, chamber and bedding!!

If the rifle shot good with the action as is there is no need to go through the expense of trueing and all.

This is what I have done and Most economic way to get a great shooting rifle.
1) buy good quality barrel- some good prechambered offering out now-a-days
2) have good smith chamber/ put together
3) after market trigger
4) good bedding job

I've done just that with most of my builds and all have been able to 3/4 MOA or better.

As an aside, i got an At One stock last year and love it. Yes the recoil pads that come with them stink. I'm a big guy and need a much longer length of pull than standard factory. I put a 1"+ thick Kick Eze pad on the stock. Absolutely love the fully adjustable features!

If case it wasn't mentioned, you may want to get chamber blueprint on new barrel in case you may have to turn the necks on your brass.

FWIW..Get a new barrel and have it chambered in a caliber popular with off the shelf ammunition, true the action and have it bedded. Enjoy and don't look back.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.