Reaming Redding comp Die's

reed mosser

Reaming Redding comp Die\'s

I reamed the sleeves on my 22 br into a 22 dasher and it worked great. My question is should i be able to ream a 243 die sleeve to 243 ackley imp without any problems. I didn't think that there would be any problems but wanted to make sure. Thanks Reed

Re: Reaming Redding comp Die\'s

Should not be any problems, may have to take just a slight bit of length off the sleeve or leave the chamber a bit short so that it does not totally clean up the original neck of the sleeve.

If you clean up the entire neck of the standard 243, you will contact the shellholder before the shoulder contacts the sleeve.

This is why it is generally a better idea to chamber it a bit short and leave some of the old neck. The AI round will be supported by the body of the sleeve anyway so the old shoulder will make no difference in the quality of the ammo you get.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks that is what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Sometimes I can't believe you give all this advice out for free. I have to say that you and Chris are some of the nicest easiest to deal with gunsmiths period. In my dealings over the years with most gunsmiths I have been lied to, over charged, and once or twice just ripped off. I'm just glad to see guys like you giving gunsmiths a good name. Thank for your input its always appreciated, hopefully one day I can return the favor. Reed

Reed Mosser,

Well, thanks for the kind words but they are really not needed. I do not look at myself in any other light then anyone else on this board does. Just a shooter and hunter and as with all the shooters and hunters on this board we all freely offer any advice or experience we have without wanting anything in return except to hopefully help a fellow sportsman out from time to time and also to have a sounding board to bounce ideas off as well.

I have had several dealings with Chris and even more with Shawn C. and both are great guys with far more knowledge then I could ever offer and they will give information as freely as anyone.

In my opinion, I see no differnce in giving gunsmithing advice compared to say giving a recommendation for a specific load or bullet.

Just experience and it helps us all to offer it freely and without expectations.

Thats what makes LRH such a great place to "chew the fat".

Again, thanks for the kind words but it is really not needed, we are all the same here, just good hearted hunters and shooters enjoying our sport. Getting rifle orders is not why I am on LRH, it just to be around a group of like minded people like your self.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.