Redding Type S die

newmexkid

Upon reading the instructions on these dies I understand to do the following. Adjust die down until it meets the shell holder. Then adjust stem back 1/16 of a turn so that bushing has a minute amount of give, (slight rattle). I have been sizing only about 1/2 of the neck and adjusting the stem for this, the bushing is very loose in the die. Checking my loaded rounds for concentricity I'm reading .002-.004. Is this about as good as it's going to get?

I don't think the reasoning for the bushing type dies is to reduce runout. It is more to avoid overworking the brass in the neck and to allow for adjustment of neck tension.

Sometimes runout can be caused by the expander ball coming back up thru neck when the cartridge is pulled back out of the die. This can be true, especially necks thickness is not very consistent around the neck. Neck turning could help this. Runout can also be caused by the seating die. Need to figure out which die maybe adding tot he runout by checking runout on the case before seating the bullet.

I use Redding bushing dies and my runout is more like .001 - .002. I think .004 might be a little excessive. Can also vary a bit by whether you are sizing short action or long action brass. Seems short action cartridges a little less prone to excessive runout.

My necks are all turned. I removed the expander ball to see what would happen, (haven't loaded anymore yet). The rifle is a LA REM. The light, (brain). didn't come on last night while I was in the reloading room messing around. I checked some unloaded cases, (primed/sized) for concentricity and they were .001-.002. But, the info just didn't register. Then I read your message...Hmmm, seating die?? The seating die is a Forester. Leaving town tomorrow morning. When I get back I'll measure a case and then load a bullet. See what happens. Thanks Barrelnut.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts