Really didn't want to share.

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are all human and we all make mistakes from time to time. All it takes is a momentary lapse in concentration. We've all been there. My stuff up was seating a bullet into a case that had been primed but not charged. Didn't realise until I squeezed the trigger and.....a weird plink instead of a boom and a bullet lodged somewhere just north of the chamber. Fortunately after about 10 minutes of cussing and sweating I managed to free the stuck pill and carry on. It was fortunate that I had my cleaning rod to hand but if I had been on an actual hunt I would have been well and truly stuffed. Imagine having a prize buck in your sights and that happens. You can bet your last dollar that after that experience I tightened up my reloading routine and double check that my cases are full before seating that bullet. The important thing is we treat our mistakes as learning experiences.

Very Good of you to remind us all that you just cannot be too careful. You were not hurt that's great, the Rifle was not damaged, that's also very good. I often use Large Mailing labels on the ammo boxes. Big letters, 270 Win. 130 Grn HUNTING LOADS RANGE BOX 1 ; or 270 Weatherby Mag 150 Grn Loads. Range Box 1. Only one rifle and one box of ammo on the concrete bench at any given time. When its time for a target change, I go back to the truck with the one rifle in its case, and the blue ammo box , put it in the truck and then get out the other rifle and ammo box. Just trying to be careful!!!!! Thanks for your story!!!

Very Good of you to remind us all that you just cannot be too careful. You were not hurt that's great, the Rifle was not damaged, that's also very good. I often use Large Mailing labels on the ammo boxes. Big letters, 270 Win. 130 Grn HUNTING LOADS RANGE BOX 1 ; or 270 Weatherby Mag 150 Grn Loads. Range Box 1. Only one rifle and one box of ammo on the concrete bench at any given time. When its time for a target change, I go back to the truck with the one rifle in its case, and the blue ammo box , put it in the truck and then get out the other rifle and ammo box. Just trying to be careful!!!!! Thanks for your story!!!
+1

Yup, good ideas on the BO.....and if I ever build a 300 BO, I'll probably make the entire gun a different color than I have. I know it can be done safely, but I guess it really comes down to the fact that unless I was shooting suppressed the 300 BO doesn't fill any hole worth the risk for me. I have a few youth shooters around, and some up and comers and since it would primarily be a deer gun around the place I see "buck fever override" when a buck is seen!
Shooting 300 BO suppressed is addictive. I see no reason to shoot 300 BO otherwise. I would be going with a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC or 300 HAM'R.

BTW I really appreciate this string of posts. It is an excellent reminder that we all can make mistakes regardless of experience. Makes me redouble my safety protocols.

Last edited:
LRNut so glad you mentioned shooting glasses as last year a man shot his rifle and instantly grabbed his eyes.
Right caliber but something flew back into his glasses, under his right eye.The glasses looked cheap but it helped as the BAR spit out a piece of metal and he was going to take the rifle to a gunsmith to find out where it came from and how to fix that.
His glasses did crack and a super small piece of metal ended up right under his right eye.
Now the question what should we expect to pay for safety glasses that would have stopped that tiny piece of metal? Anyone?
I'll pay more than I am paying now but want better than average quality.
Or should this be a thread all by itself?
Old Rooster

Neighbors went out opening morning to hunt [first time they've touched their guns all year]. Father and 3 kids come back after morning hunt and realize everyone had the wrong ammo. All 4 had different calibers.

He sold all the guns and ammo, and bought 4 identical 270 win.

KS Shooter2021 I have a 6.5 grendel that I bought and only shot 1 box of Hornady Black factory ammo that I would like to sell.Shot very well.
6.5 grendel upper with a stainless 24 inch barrel I need to sell.
What do you you think I could get for this?
Would like to sell both my ar's but not sure what to ask
Old Rooster

Neighbors went out opening morning to hunt [first time they've touched their guns all year]. Father and 3 kids come back after morning hunt and realize everyone had the wrong ammo. All 4 had different calibers.

He sold all the guns and ammo, and bought 4 identical 270 win.
When I was growing up that's what my grandpa, my father, and all my uncles shot.....dad bought me .270 when I was 11. They didn't want problems so everyone shot the same thing......they never had problems. There's something to be said for simple.
They also all shot 4x weaver scopes, sight in at 25 and 275, shoot for fur to 300. If they're further...get closer. Just how it was. They fed a lot people that way.

KS Shooter2021 I have a 6.5 grendel that I bought and only shot 1 box of Hornady Black factory ammo that I would like to sell.Shot very well.
6.5 grendel upper with a stainless 24 inch barrel I need to sell.
What do you you think I could get for this?
Would like to sell both my ar's but not sure what to ask
Old Rooster
ARs are difficult to price. I could double my money on a DPMS sitting in my safe, but my LGS has several high end ones ($1500 +)for sale and has had them for a few weeks . Seems like the panic buying is over, and not a big market for that price range, Sub $1000 guns go pretty quick. I would look on line and see what your actual guns are going for, even if the are not in stock and price from there. There is a little premium over retail because you actually have "stock" but the panic pricing has petered out for the most part.... primers excluded of course!

ARs are difficult to price. I could double my money on a DPMS sitting in my safe, but my LGS has several high end ones ($1500 +)for sale and has had them for a few weeks . Seems like the panic buying is over, and not a big market for that price range, Sub $1000 guns go pretty quick. I would look on line and see what your actual guns are going for, even if the are not in stock and price from there. There is a little premium over retail because you actually have "stock" but the panic pricing has petered out for the most part.... primers excluded of course!
It's been a fun day keeping up with all the post today one thing that I've become complacent on is not allways wearing good shooting glasses after reading some of these later post a real good comfortable pair of quality glasses are on my short list l bet I'm not the only one here guilty of this so Gentleman lets get some good shooting glasses any recommendations are welcome thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts