Really didn't want to share.

Lots of new shooters......everywhere. I got an email from a site asking if I could answer a question about a product I had purchased.......45 gr Barnes tsx. The potential buyer asked if these could be fired in a high standard pistol that normally shot 22 cal shorts.......I don't even know where to start with that. We who have been around firearms our whole lives can make dangerous assumptions about what others know. It's hard to believe someone out there has a pistol that doesn't know 22 rimfire from reloading components......what "bullets" really are. When the 6mm creedmor came out, I helped a guy chronograph his rifle. He shot once, reading was way off, he shot again, way off. I stopped him, went through my chronograph, than his rifle. Seeing nothing wrong, I glanced at his ammo. He had bought 6mm instead of 6.5 Creedmoor. He thought Creedmoor was Creedmoor and didn't even look at the number. We all can make mistakes, and as no one is hurt, and as long as we can learn from them, and help others learn from them at the end of the day it's a step forward.

AS I, understand, you bought a rifle at a gun show, marked 6MM. After you shot it you found out it had a barrel change to .243. How did you find this out. Just asking so others can do the same, Thank you

Thanks for sharing, glad no one was hurt! I really wanted to get a 300 BO, but I guess I just don't trust myself enough......every time I think about buying one, I picture myself or someone else slapping a 300 BO mag in a .223. I can totally see myself making this mistake.....
I just talked to a friend who actually witnessed it. The guy was being dumb wich actually saved him from harm. Anyway some how loaded some 300 BO in his 223 mag and put it in his 223 AR15 and was shooting it one handed holding it sideways "gangster style". When it went off the bolt came out the back end of the stock at high speed and sent shrapnel everywhere. Luckily shooting like a jackass saved his life and no one else was hurt.

@LRNut, that story scares me to death. Dangerous game is a completely different thing. Good thing that buff was already plenty sick. I've had my rifle go "click" instead of "bang" just once while hunting. Almost cost me a gemsbok. Kalahari sand in the bolt is all I can figure. The firing pin made a little tiny dent in the primer.

I've made a mental note about how to situate my ammo while buff hunting! Probably best to leave the PG rifle reloads in the truck.

After over a decade of reloading, meticulously checking myself, I screwed up bad. Nobody got hurt, but this type of mistake is inexcusable. I really didn't want to share. I just wanted to keep this one to myself.....But, it did happen. I see a lot of new guys here lately, and decided that my mistake may help somebody else from getting hurt, so here's what happened.

I was doing load development on one rifle ( friends 7 rem mag) and getting my rifle set up with a new scope ( kahles 624i is just bought from a member here) My rifle is a 7x300 win mag loading 175 eld-x...his a 7rem mag with 162 eld-x.

Everything went well, still need some tweaking on his, but mine still shoots like I expect it to.

While I was letting his cool after a couple shots, I grabbed my rifle to shoot a couple to get it zeroed. 3 shots, and I'm getting really close to shooting for a zero group. I grab his, again to shoot the next load. It shoots pretty decent. All is good. My spotter wants to verify his rifle, so we take a break from these two and let them cool, while he shoots his rifle. I shoot mine again, and get a really solid group for a zero on my scope.

I go back to shooting my friends rilfle's next load. I made a mistake right here, I left both ammo boxes on the shooting pad (same color ammo box, bullets and cases look very similar) I can't believe what I did next. I wanted to verify at 1000, so shifted everything a bit to the north to get to our 1000 ( 1005) yard target. My buddy helped move everything. During this time, the 7 rem mag somehow (my fault no matter how it happened) got switched with the 7x300.

I settled on my target at 1005 and let one go, my spotter called 2 moa low. I was really not happy about that, so I grabbed another one. I'm thinking no way I'm off 2 moa, I shoot another one ( stupid, stupid, stupid). 2 moa low again. So now I'm thinking, what the heck is going on? I'll check my zero again.....That's when I saw the two casings I just shot. I just shot two 7 rem mag rounds out of my 7x300. ( I can't believe how close those shot at 1000 yards to what mine were supposed to shoot)

I had to sit down for minute. I can't believe I did that, not once, but twice.

I know how it happened, I actually even thought about it before that. ( I didn't like that both ammo boxes were identical) But I knew what I was doing, and was aware that I needed to make sure. It was just a simple mistake (that could have been really bad). The wind was picking up, and I got in a hurry, I didn't move his box off the shooting pad, the spotter helped me move a few things, and his ammo ended up where mine was supposed to be, and they looked the same.

I broke some rules, got over confident, and made a mistake that I wouldn't expect from a rookie.

There isn't really any excuse for this, lucky for me, my rifle actually shot them pretty good, and no harm was done.

Mistakes like this are how people get hurt. Over 10 years of doing this, and getting better all the time, and then this. I've called people out on this site for doing stupid things, and I'll still do it when I see it.

I felt obligated to share this. I'm sure somebody is going to call me out for being a dumb ***, and they'd be right.

Nobody had to know about this, and that's how'd I would really like it to be......But If the stupid mistake I made keeps someone from getting hurt, and I take a beating online for it.....so be it. The truth is the truth. The stupid truth......I really, really don't want to post this
Thank you for posting this. Everyone makes mistakes. This is a good reminder for everyone. Glad you weren't hurt and no damage.

I have been reloading for at least 48 years and STILL make STUPID mistakes, concentrate, check and re-check. Glad it didn't go the other way. Reloading is a NEVER ENDING learning experience. Like nding I only shoot 1 rifle at a time, then clear everything.
Thank you for posting this. Everyone makes mistakes. This is a good reminder for everyone. Glad you weren't hurt and no damage.
We as gun owners and shooters must teach safety and responsibility to help protect our gun rights and so we can continue the enjoyment of the shooting sport our rights are being attacked every time theres a gun related incident so we have to guard against the mistakes we have control off when reloading shooting or hunting

@LRNut, that story scares me to death. Dangerous game is a completely different thing. Good thing that buff was already plenty sick. I've had my rifle go "click" instead of "bang" just once while hunting. Almost cost me a gemsbok. Kalahari sand in the bolt is all I can figure. The firing pin made a little tiny dent in the primer.

I've made a mental note about how to situate my ammo while buff hunting! Probably best to leave the PG rifle reloads in the truck.
Yes, I got a cartridge belt after hearing PHs complain too many times of loose bullets in my pocket, but you can be sure I won't ever mix them up again.

After over a decade of reloading, meticulously checking myself, I screwed up bad. Nobody got hurt, but this type of mistake is inexcusable. I really didn't want to share. I just wanted to keep this one to myself.....But, it did happen. I see a lot of new guys here lately, and decided that my mistake may help somebody else from getting hurt, so here's what happened.

I was doing load development on one rifle ( friends 7 rem mag) and getting my rifle set up with a new scope ( kahles 624i is just bought from a member here) My rifle is a 7x300 win mag loading 175 eld-x...his a 7rem mag with 162 eld-x.

Everything went well, still need some tweaking on his, but mine still shoots like I expect it to.

While I was letting his cool after a couple shots, I grabbed my rifle to shoot a couple to get it zeroed. 3 shots, and I'm getting really close to shooting for a zero group. I grab his, again to shoot the next load. It shoots pretty decent. All is good. My spotter wants to verify his rifle, so we take a break from these two and let them cool, while he shoots his rifle. I shoot mine again, and get a really solid group for a zero on my scope.

I go back to shooting my friends rilfle's next load. I made a mistake right here, I left both ammo boxes on the shooting pad (same color ammo box, bullets and cases look very similar) I can't believe what I did next. I wanted to verify at 1000, so shifted everything a bit to the north to get to our 1000 ( 1005) yard target. My buddy helped move everything. During this time, the 7 rem mag somehow (my fault no matter how it happened) got switched with the 7x300.

I settled on my target at 1005 and let one go, my spotter called 2 moa low. I was really not happy about that, so I grabbed another one. I'm thinking no way I'm off 2 moa, I shoot another one ( stupid, stupid, stupid). 2 moa low again. So now I'm thinking, what the heck is going on? I'll check my zero again.....That's when I saw the two casings I just shot. I just shot two 7 rem mag rounds out of my 7x300. ( I can't believe how close those shot at 1000 yards to what mine were supposed to shoot)

I know how it happened, I actually even thought about it before that. ( I didn't like that both ammo boxes were identical) But I knew what I was doing, and was aware that I needed to make sure. It was just a simple mistake (that could have been really bad). The wind was picking up, and I got in a hurry, I didn't move his box off the shooting pad, the spotter helped me move a few things, and his ammo ended up where mine was supposed to be, and they looked the same.

I broke some rules, got over confident, and made a mistake that I wouldn't expect from a rookie.

There isn't really any excuse for this, lucky for me, my rifle actually shot them pretty good, and no harm was done.

Mistakes like this are how people get hurt. Over 10 years of doing this, and getting better all the time, and then this. I've called people out on this site for doing stupid things, and I'll still do it when I see it.

I felt obligated to share this. I'm sure somebody is going to call me out for being a dumb ***, and they'd be right.

Nobody had to know about this, and that's how'd I would really like it to be......But If the stupid mistake I made keeps someone from getting hurt, and I take a beating online for it.....so be it. The truth is the truth. The stupid truth......I really, really don't want to post this
The only reason I don't have a horror story to tell is because the round wouldn't chamber. And like an idiot, I thought I left the bullet seated too long and tried another round. It wouldn't chamber either. Well, they actually did chamber, the bolt wouldn't close. I accidentally grabbed a sleeve of 260 Remington instead of 6.5 Creedmoor that I was trying. I didn't fuss too much about having to leave to get the correct ammo. I was just grateful I could leave. It happens. Like you, I got in a hurry and grabbed something off the loading bench thinking it was the last thing I loaded. I suppose I should employ a rule here and now whereby I do not chamber a round until it has been thoroughly inspected. That will allow for some time to let the barrel cool between shots, but will also ensure this doesn't happen again.

When I turned 14 I got my first legal job "legal meaning a job where my great Uncle Sam took a portion of what I earned" at a gun club. Saw some interesting things there. One family reloaded and absolutely should not have. Several "blooper" loads and although I was 14 I was the range officer in charge pulling lines of skeet and trap and had to insist they clear their barrel. I was already reloading at that time. I saw two guns come apart at that club because someone had not cleared their barrel after a blooper load. I saw a muzzle loader barrel blow up as well that got stuffed in a snow drift and then shot at a buck. My dad was a Marine and taught me gun safety from as young of an age as I can remember. Due to all of this I am still very picky today about who I choose to hunt and shoot with. Pulling thousands of lines of trap and skeet I have witnessed delayed ignition more than once "another thing to keep in mind as we are discussing safety issues here" and fortunately the shooters were either experienced and counted to 10 or lucky and did not open the chamber. I did one time witness an individual who pulled the trigger, we all heard the click, and he as quickly as possible removed the shell from his O/U 12ga and threw it as fast as he could like a hand grenade. I refused to pull lines for that team after that. By the way the longest delayed ignition I have personally witnessed was a count to 4.

Thank you for being completely honest and sharing. We can all learn something from your story. It could have happened to amy of us.

I've shot 9mm in a 40sw- twice before I realized why it wouldn't cycle. Had 40 and 9 ammo in separate bags. Not paying attention, loaded my 40 mag with 9s. Stupid. Hunting buddy went to camp and forgot his ammo. He grabbed a handful of ammo off the shelf at camp and loaded 270win in his 30-06. Thought the shot sounded a little funny and couldn't figure out why he hit the deer in front of the hind quarters rather than the chest until he looked at the ammo. Both scenarios lucky no one was hurt.
Changed my reloading sequence recently (bad idea). I've always deprived and sized with full length sizing die. Then clean brass, prime, load powder and seat bullet. I decided to get a universal depriming die and deprime on separate press to keep my resizing die cleaner. So I deprived, cleaned, set primers, loaded powder and seated bullets. Couldn't understand I could simply pull the bullet easily by hand. After I converted to bushing sizer I realized I forgot to resize the brass. Now that is stupid! Bottom line: PAY ATTENTION. I was alone but changed my routine. Lesson learned.
Happens to all of us. Thank God we are lucky 🙏.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.