Really didn't want to share.

Glad nobody was hurt!!! I have to be very careful, because I load for 3 different sets of rifles that I have or my sons own that we shoots, and I reload for, they all have different COAL. Never can be to careful. Again glad nobody was hurt. A lesson for everybody to remember. I have seen where somebody mixed up there shotgun bushing, and took there shotgun apart. What you stated is a wake up call for of us to think about.

Heard this on the meat eater podcast. Rinella & Putrellis were shooting guns. Rinellas is a 270 msm, the other a 7mm-08. Puttellis goes to shoot Steve's gun and chambers a 7-08. Steve's gun is a lefty, unsure of make & model. Putrellis is right handed. Gun goes bang, case ruptures, bullet actually hit target, hot gases come out of action into Putrellis face, floor plate is blown out/off gun.

putrellis was lucky and only got singed on his face and no eye damage. Gun was wrecked.

Me and a good friend of mine almost made a critical error in a similar situation. We were breaking 2 different new barrels in that he had gotten, both were in the AR platform. However we were using the same lower. We had magazines, ammo, uppers, cleaning equipment, etc. Spread all over the table. Not organized at all and to be quite frank, not even thinking about it. Well he loaded a 223 into the Grendel upper! Luckily he stopped because we hadn't cleaned the barrel from the previous firing!! We both felt sooo dumb and immediately organized with 1 upper, 1mag and cleaning supplies. We had become very complacent.

Last year I was working as RO at my local range. There was a shooter that was trying to sight in a 6.5 Creedmoor he'd just bought. At 25 yards he was all over the target. He was pretty new to shooting and asked for help. I put up an unused backboard and this is what he got.
3F6D0308-A42E-47AB-A7BD-FE3CACD98B19.jpeg

you can see he was throwing knuckleballs. He'd gone to Cabellas to buy ammunition and had a friend walk up to talk just as he was reaching up to grab a couple of boxes. He stopped to chat. After he was in a hurry to get to the range and grabbed the boxes not realizing he'd grabbed two boxes next to the ones he wanted. When I saw his bullets were tumbling I checked his ammo boxes. The rounds seated just fine but the bullets tumbled because he'd grabbed 6 Creedmoor shells!

Wow nmbarta you really are being hard on yourself!! Mistakes are mistakes and oftentimes are avoidable, however that's what they are "mistakes" and not intentional actions. When I hear people call themselves stupid, I ask them how they would like it if I called them stupid because there's really not difference. Anyway...........I did something quite similar as your mistake, something that I am, and was not to happy to have done. I was shooting five-stand with my Remington 1100 20 gauge with a bunch of friends. I was using an ammo bag to hold for my ammo and to hold my hulls. One of the guys who I was shooting with had a Remington 1100 in 12 gauge. While we were shooting the course I was talking with this guy about his 12 gauge 1100 and how it shot and recoil. After we had shot the course he asked me if I would like to try shooting a few rounds with his gun, and I said yes. He gave me a couple of rounds to shoot, I put them into my range bag, set my shotgun in the rack, all this time we were BSing and I was not really paying attention to business. I took his gun, reached into m range back, pulled out a round and threw the round into the chamber, BSed some more, called pull. I raised the gun up and "CLICK", so "Oh" I must have forgotten to put a round in the chamber so I reach into the range bag, pulled out another shotgun shell, put it into the chamber making sure there was a round inside of the gun this time. At this point I was getting ready to say pull when one of the other, more experienced shooters, told me to hold up and to check the barrel of the shotgun, which I did. I still thank Frank for paying attention because there was a very nice 20 gauge shotgun shell lodged inside of the barrel. Apparently there was still a 20 gauge round inside of that range bag and when I reached into the bag to get one of the 12 gauge rounds I pulled that 20 gauge shell out first. Had I pulled that trigger it would have been catastrophic for everyone on that shooting field. Had I been paying attention instead of BSing I would have realized when the gun went "click" that there was something seriously wrong or I would have caught it when I heard the round fall down the barrel!! When something like this happens it can be a blessing in disguise because it gives us a real "wake-up" call and keeps us on our toes. Sometimes after shooting for many years we become callous. Right now as I am writing this reply my butt cheeks slammed together and everything between them slammed up tight!! Thanks for sharing this with the group, by doing so you probably helped people to pay more attention and prevented something serious from happening to them!! 👍 👍

A friend did that some years ago and ever since then I look at the case head or box to be sure and leave onlythe box for said rifle on bench...no other. Yes, you can never be too safe...

Thanks for sharing, glad no one was hurt! I really wanted to get a 300 BO, but I guess I just don't trust myself enough......every time I think about buying one, I picture myself or someone else slapping a 300 BO mag in a .223. I can totally see myself making this mistake.....
I have both 300 BO and 5.56 and all our mags..hhhhu....I mean IF I had more that one 5 round each, I would make one FDE and one black. Label each one with the caliber on both sides of the mag. So the (two 5 rd mags) are separated by both color and identification.

We never load anything in them but the cartridge that is labeled on it.

When we shoot, my son will QC any mag I load and I will do the same for him. We also don't load both calibers on the same bench so we keep the ammo separated to avoid grabbing a stray round.

Same with going to the range, Both rifles and ammo go into separate bags. Tan bag is 300 BO and black bag is 5.56. Most of the time we only take one caliber to the range at a time, but that's just due to we shoot suppressed one time and and unsuppressed the next.

No guarantees, but we do everything we can to make sure it's safe as possible.

Yup, good ideas on the BO.....and if I ever build a 300 BO, I'll probably make the entire gun a different color than I have. I know it can be done safely, but I guess it really comes down to the fact that unless I was shooting suppressed the 300 BO doesn't fill any hole worth the risk for me. I have a few youth shooters around, and some up and comers and since it would primarily be a deer gun around the place I see "buck fever override" when a buck is seen!

It's ballsy to own up to something like that, and for that, I commend you. Sh!t happens and we learn from it (hopefully).
If you handle firearms and reload long enough and are around others that do too you will see some things that can or will have a bad outcome that is what we have too guard against by using our experience to help others with advive expressing safety first allways no matter how much of a brocken record we may sound like I've personally have known a friend load a 277 dia bullet ina 264 win mag neaarly costing his eye sight a gunsmith that lost his life working on a 22 auto a friend that nearly blew his leg off working on a 410 shotgun I could go on and on just remember when it comes to the gun world especially teaching youngsters safety safety safety

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.