Real Hunters?

The "real hunter" thing has never made sense to me. The original purpose of hunting is to eat, it only became sporting once life became easy.
When it comes right down to it , originally hunting was for sustenance. It was a tool of survival , to provide food for yourself those you were responsible for . It has evolved into a passtime, hobby, or sport today. Like everything else in today's society, there are constantly new shortcuts to make it easy to accomplish whatever interests you. Some people like to keep it simple and go one on one, matching wits with their quarry, some want to take advantage of some or all that modern tech has given us to make it easier. To me, long range hunting isn't a way to make it easier to harvest game, but a way to add another challenge to the act of hunting . Less time poured into the study of your quarry, but much more time invested in equipment and shooting skills .
In the end, very few of us would survive on the meat we harvest if we were given the tools used by native Americans 300 years ago. We just PLAY hunter today compared to those without modern conveniences, with antiquated tools to provide sustenance. Is that a bad thing ? I dont think so . I'm just glad we still honor those old ways of survival, all be it, with tools that allow us to enjoy the hunt . And if we don't get it done , even with the conveniences we enjoy today, we always have Longhorns on the way home from the hunt 😀

There's a GWOT Vet that hunts the same private land I do up in Utah. Doesn't have the use of his legs due to injuries sustained overseas and don't think he's taken a shot on an elk under 1k in quite a few years. Wanna say the last one was closer to 1250-ish. Always 1 shot DRT

Hunted his entire life, but due to his current situation, he can no longer hunt the way he used to.

Is he not a real Hunter? Of course he is
What are you an idiot! If that vet knew you posted that he probably whip your ***. You must be a guide. 🤮

What are you an idiot! If that vet knew you posted that he probably whip your ***. You must be a guide. 🤮

I think you misinterpret.

No, imNot a guide. No skin in the game for me. I posted it because I think it's pretty **** impressive and to show that trying to define what you think "real" hunter is or isn't with your own strict set of standards is not only pointless but ignorant.

People hunt within their own capabilities and limitations whether that be time, money, experience, physical limitations or or otherwise to do what they love to do. So long as they're ethical and respectful in their approach than who is anyone to decide whether they're "real" hunters or not?

Last edited:
I think you misinterpret.

No, imNot a guide. No skin in the game for me. I posted it because I think it's pretty **** impressive and to show that trying to define what you think "real" hunter is or isn't with your own strict set of standards is not only pointless but ignorant.

People hunt within their own capabilities and limitations whether that be time, money, experience, physical limitations or or otherwise to do what they love to do. So long as they're ethical and respectful in their approach than who is anyone to decide whether they're "real" hunters or not?
OK fair enough. Let's back up a little bit I did not start this post. However I know people and the only time they hunt is when they're guided. I myself have been guided and I feel like I slept with a whore. You feel much about sleeping with somebody that you care about. I've only met a few respectable guides it's all about the money for them. They will flatten your tires while you're gone they will put a guy up in a tree next to you while you're sitting a water hole. They will do anything it takes to get you out of an area where they are guiding. They are a necessary evil if you travel two different parts of the world to hunt. Having said that you should probably send your post back to the guy who started the thread. Adios Amigo

Rather off topic but with regard to hunting and alcohol:

Having a drink or two back in the lodge is a normal and customary part of the whole experience. I'll have a glass of wine and share horse stories with people from all walks of life who end up in camp with me. I really don't care how much others drink when they are NOT hunting and NOT handling firearms. For me, I hunt early and hunt hard. That doesn't happen if you tend to overindulge the night before.

There is no reason why you can't drink responsibly and still be a "hunter".

All I care about is a full freezer. Real hunter? maybe not. Real hungry? NO!
I am gonna get back to freezer filling this year . Was married for 23 years to a woman that hated deer meat, lol . I wouldn't quit hunting, so I started hunting big bucks with archery gear in public land . I got to watch a bunch of deer doing their thing in that time. Learned a lot about how they do what they do by just watching . I took a few mature bucks too, but always gave the meat to local families that were more than happy to fill their freezers .
I'm in the market for a deep freezer right now, lol. Deer meat is back on the menu !!

OK fair enough. Let's back up a little bit I did not start this post. However I know people and the only time they hunt is when they're guided. I myself have been guided and I feel like I slept with a whore. You feel much about sleeping with somebody that you care about. I've only met a few respectable guides it's all about the money for them. They will flatten your tires while you're gone they will put a guy up in a tree next to you while you're sitting a water hole. They will do anything it takes to get you out of an area where they are guiding. They are a necessary evil if you travel two different parts of the world to hunt. Having said that you should probably send your post back to the guy who started the thread. Adios Amigo

Ive never actually slept with any of my Guides. Typically we just hunt. Do you have to pay extra for that? 😉😂

I have lots of guns but never will be a true hunter because I can't handle all the aspects of hunting - early mornings, high costs, long distance travel, dragging big dead animals and so on - been there and done that. I have seen some real stupid, ugly things each year when I did hunt that are unforgettable. I sometimes shoot rodents because the rodents represent a group that has been identified as causing long term harm - spreaders of disease & filth & there is also that persistent never ending gnawing - beady eyes also. I get much enjoyment from shooting lots of rodents and cap off a long day of continually warm rifle barrel(s) with a nice cold beer - bang, zip, splat.