Are you Real World Deployable

Dave King

John

I create data based on where I'm going to hunt/shoot. I don't need to have this data created and in hand as I don't expect to be called up to hunt with only a few hours notice.

I do check ahead of time as to elevation and temp and bring/take charts along and check them on-site once I arrive.

Wind deflection changes with altitude so I include windage figures too. I've hunted to 13,000 ft Above Sea Level (ASL)

In the past I've found that for distances out to 400 yards there is little trajectory difference for a high BC projectile. I have found that my 100 yard zero "moves" as I travel around the country and I re-zero at the new site as a result of this observation. Len posted similar observations and I don't know if it was ever fully answered or solved.

I have small data charts that I laminate and carry in the Eagle Stock Pack. I carry a basic three (3) "all conditions" set and make a specific set once I know where I'll be.

Good set of questions. Make one a little more mindful when folks as for trajectory data? What's their "home" environment, altitude etc, most published stuff is Standard Temp and Pressure (STP) I believe.

Gents,
My advice is to purchase Dean Michaelis' book on Hard Target Interdicition - its written more for the military spec ops types, but has lots of data on zeroing your rifle and then compensting for changes in MET and ENV conditions. I use this system and it lets you shoot relatively accurately anywhere in the world as long as you have a Kestrel WX system.

For long range shots in different places, you need to go to this level of technical detail if you want to hit what you are aimimg at (without taking ten "zeroing" shots) or at least in the neighborhood with your first shot.

Its well worth the cover price. Just my .02 - not an employee of Dean's or for amazon.com. :)

Scott in Bogota

John,

Fantastic topic and one that I believe few spend a good deal thinking about.. I know because for a while it really never entered my mind...
I use the A-trag software for the palm and this seems to be reliably accurate once data is entered for the specific place I am hunting. .. and NO I don't have a back up should the batteries go bad or the plam finds a way to meet its' demise. I realize I should make my self somthing similiar to Daves system and do some laminants as back ups...
I do always shoot at least 3 shots when I arrive at a new desitnation to hunt...
I too would like to expound on the "why zero shifts" when I go from east to west. That is interesteing...
the last 2 times I hunted Whitetails on the easy coast.. my zero shifted to 1:00 from my zero here....hmmmm

Some rambling, might be of interest or bore the hell out of you...
One very good solution is to buy a Pathfinder Ballistic chart and mount it on your scope. Just pull out the little tape and the drops are right were you need them. Pathfinder will make custom drop charts for your caliber, they are great. Just call Allison Tool at 303 355-5356. You can also get the same rig from Leupold but you pay for the nice Leupold emblem on the top. They are very well made and work slick.

If you don't have twenty bucks (or more for the leupy), here is another suggestion - make your own drop cards that fit into your Eagle stock pack. My secret - milk jugs. Up here we have big suckers that hold 2 litres, no ideas what they really hold, about a couple of quarts anyhow.

Take an empty milk jug and cut big squares out of the sides, then shape those pieces so that they fit into the Eagle stock pack. Then print your drops and wind onto a big label and stick the label to the heavy plastic. Then put Scotch tape over the label to protect it from moisture and you are good to go - a real tough range card. I know, there are other sources of plastic...

This would be un-nessessary if Ballisticards fit into the stock pack. But they don't.

If you don't have an Eagle stock pack then put your drops on a label or card and tape it to the side of your stock. Carry a spare in a handy pocket, in case the one on your rifle drops off. Hell, I even carry extras in my wallet.

You can also make a smaller, simpler one and put it inside your Butler Creek flip-up cap on the eyepiece of your scope. If you don't have a Butler Creek then go get one, every scope should have Butlers just because. I actually prefer Scope Coats, but to explain why would constitute hi-jacking this post and that is a no-no.

Always reshoot your zeros and preferably your drops when you hunt in a location higher, hotter, colder, wetter, or really different than your home
rolleyes.gif

Ian

Do you carry any pictures of your new granddaughter in that wallet right next to the drop table?

Thinkin' about that little sweetie makes me smile - she is real world deployable as long as she's with grandpa!

Great Topic,
I like to have only one version of my chart and then make notes as to what kind of adjustments are necessary for certain weather changes. For instance I know that if my chart is for 20 degrees and it is 10 degrees warmer My bullet will impact 3 inches higher at 1000 yards or 10 degrees lower it will impact 3 inches lower.

Ian, I like the scope cap Idea, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that before. I was looking all over my gun trying to find a good spot but never had the caps fliped up.
shocked.gif

I am wondering how different guys compensate for different temp and altitude conditions. My military friends refer to this as being Real World Deployable, in other words do you have wind and drop data for your hunting rifle that covers any conceivable temp and altitude condition you might be hunting in?

What Temp and Altitude is your rifle set up for?

How do you correct for a different temp and or altitude?

Do you carry your conversions with you?

What form is this data in?

What temp and altitude range do you have data for?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.