Real Hunters?

How many of us are really hunters?
With that statement I like to define a true hunter but also no disrespect to the one's that fall out of this category.
A hunter in my opinion is a person that kills to have hunted.
Hunting means one knows everything about his quarry.
Knows its habits, paterns,where it lives and travels.
The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt.

So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc.
These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters.

People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify.
And neither do drones, heat seekers, fish finders. lol

So how many of us are really a full fledged hunters?
Just wondering.
Martin
I completely agree with you. I live in the state of Arizona. You don't need to ask anybody permission to hunt their land. The animals are truly wild. And I know them like the back of my hand. However if I were to go to a state that was over 1000 miles away I could not do the diligence that I need to do to be successful. I hate guides. I think they're necessary. If you want to hunt out of state.Like you said don't call yourself a hunter you're just a trigger puller when you're out of state. The hunter is that guide. And if you talk to enough guides they talk about all the animals they have killed. I said that's impossible you're not old enough to kill that many animals. And they all say oh I'm talking about all the ones that they guided. And there it is they even admit they are the ones that killed it.

With that statement I like to define a true hunter but also no disrespect to the one's that fall out of this category.
The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt.

So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc.
These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters.

People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify.

Just wondering.
Martin
I think you were trapped by your own trap, understand hunting is a very broad subject and done many ways by many different folks, there is no one way to hunt, you just hunt and if you are successful great, if not... you had a nice day. I don't think people here need to be told how to hunt. Better luck with your next post. Cheers

Merriam-Webster 🤔

Definition of hunter

(Entry 1 of 3)
1a: a person who hunts game
b: a dog used or trained for hunting
c: a horse used or adapted for use in hunting with hounds especially: a fast strong horse trained for cross-country work and jumping
2: one that searches for something
3: a pocket watch with a hinged protective cover

Just wondering.
Martin

Just wondering.
Martin
I like to say I still hunt the same after 50 years. No lease, no guides, no privileges or camp sitting. Still set up our own camp and tend to our horses as always. Seems almost a thing of the past.

There's a GWOT Vet that hunts the same private land I do up in Utah. Doesn't have the use of his legs due to injuries sustained overseas and don't think he's taken a shot on an elk under 1k in quite a few years. Wanna say the last one was closer to 1250-ish. Always 1 shot DRT

Hunted his entire life, but due to his current situation, he can no longer hunt the way he used to.

Is he not a real Hunter? Of course he is

Last edited:
There's a GWOT Vet that hunts the same private land I do up in Utah. Doesn't have the use of his legs due to injuries sustained overseas and don't think he's taken a shot on an elk under 1k in quite a few years. Wanna say the last one was closer to 1250-ish. Always 1 shot DRT

Hunted his entire life, but due to his current situation, he can no longer hunt the way he used to.

Is he not a real Hunter? Of course he is
He maybe more of a hunter, adapting and over coming his disability. Seems the only people that have issues with long range hunting are those that don't have the equipment or capabilities!

This is such a stupid thread. I can't believe everyone entertained the OP for so long. Not knocking anyone's responses. Just the fact this question was asked in the first place.
Eh don't sweat it brother. My first time bow hunting for elk I called in a herd within 15ft to 70 yards from me. I passed on two shots because of the circumstances. I was given some grief over doing that. I later heard of some of the questionable shots made by those who gave me grief. I guess that doesn't make me a hunter by some people's standards. That's quite fine because I'm pretty pleased with my small hunting record. I'm getting to the point I'd rather hunt with people I enjoy spending time with rather than the kill or the size of the rack.

Eh don't sweat it brother. My first time bow hunting for elk I called in a herd within 15ft to 70 yards from me. I passed on two shots because of the circumstances. I was given some grief over doing that. I later heard of some of the questionable shots made by those who gave me grief. I guess that doesn't make me a hunter by some people's standards. That's quite fine because I'm pretty pleased with my small hunting record. I'm getting to the point I'd rather hunt with people I enjoy spending time with rather than the kill or the size of the rack.
Amen brother! To me the racks/horns are just chew treats for my Rottie! The camp camaraderie is the reason for my annual hunts!

IMHO I think you're either wired for a lot of things or not. We're kinda like dogs, we're either wired to hunt or not. I went on pseudo guided hunts to learn how to big game hunt. Then friends took me on hunts. It's part of a process/ journey. Labels might be made to identify with a group, or even set some kind of elite status. No judgement call here, when I first started hunting I concentrated on the size of the rack and searched for trophies. Priorities change as we get older lol. At least for me.

16+ years ago I started a celebratory toast after a day's hunt regardless if it is a success or not. So, by your standard, I am not a hunter. Luckily, I do not let anyone define me or my character; whether I am a real hunter or a good person.
Feenix, I have zero issue with a toast or a drink after the hunt. Once the guns are put away, have one for me. Not many out there that enjoy a cold beer more than I do, I have issues with people and hunt at the same time!

This comes from a having a family friend killed when I was 16 by a hunter drinking brandy trying to stay warm. The best they could figure is Dick walked up behind the guy, he spun and fired.

I don't judge people, but I decide who I want to hunt with based on their conduct.

Went on a pig hunt years ago, it was agreed no drinks in camp. When my partner (recovering Alc) got back to camp at 9am, the other two guys were on their 4th beer. Looked at me partner and said you ready to go, he just nodded. Packed up and head home. Funny thing, never got invited by them again, so sad, NOT.

Thank you for reading and thinking about it.
As stated before the tools don't matter.
The way you fill the freezer don't matter.
The question is did you or didn't do your homework?
I didn't mention wheelchairs but my very dear long time friend D has been in one for 30 or so years,he has to be lifted in and out
He hunts, he and his dad drive around in the truck finding a appropriate spot then with some help the wheelchair with D in it is put on the cutline with his 45 120 Sharps over his knees, his dad or brother pic him up at a set time.
Some years back he scored a monster deer that even impressed Jim Shockey.
I believe D is a Hunter
I am NOT classifying OR judging ANYONE.
I just asked about the homework.!!!!!!
This will be my final post on this subject.
Thank you all.
Anyone posting after this,I believe Bob Wright is organising a camp fight😁😁

Sorry Bob
That Sharps is one stout bruiser. Congrats to D. Doing it out of a wheel chair, impressive!.
You bring the beer, we'll have a Donnybrook of a fight in camp!🤪