Re-Chambering 243 Question

novaman64

The rifle I am asking about is a Remington 700 SPS Varmint...

I am relatively new to this, my plan was to drop my rifle off to the gunsmith and have him shorten the factory barrel (only has 200rnds through it, and shoots extremely accurate) from 26" to 24" and have it fluted, trying to shave some weight off the rifle, plus it feels really front heavy to me right now.

My question is can the 243 chamber be cut so that its a 243AI? I was looking at ballistics and I think it would be cool to make it an AI (I only have 1 rifle, used for pigs, coyotes and deer)... The other question is that can I use my 243 cases and just reform them?

You did the right thing by questioning the shooters on this site...

Just a couple of things... You can rechamber .243 to .243AI... but you might not want to shorten the muzzle end... you'll have to give up some already from the chamber end...

Also, the "unbalanced" feel you have might be better addressed with a different stock rather than shortening the barrel...

You will use .243 brass (crush fit) to fireform .243AI... get as much input as you can before commencing...

Thanks for the info, I will just have them leave it then, being as its going to be fluted and some taken off the back it should get me closer to the weight I want.

And I can shoot standard 243 ammo from the store if im in a pinch and dont have AI ammo?

Is there any disadvantage to going to a 243AI from my standard 243?

There is quite a lot to consider here... when you commit to rechambering and also fluting a factory barrel... you might want to shoot this barrel first, especially since it shoots so well...

Then later, if you're still of the same mind, have a custom barrel in .243AI installed...

Yes, you can shoot factory .243 ammo in an AI chamber...

I love the .243 and also AI, but the benefits of the Ackley are not realized so much until you shoot from a heavier/bench or bipod setup... which means more weight than you want right now...

The AI will shoot hotter/faster (improved case holds more powder) and "potentially" more accurate, but shortens the barrel life somewhat... and of course, you'll need to handload for the AI...

Just take your time and try to get input from as many sources as you can...

In the end, you should do what you want to do...

Last edited:
I'd second preacherman on his comments.

Your SPS Varmint could more likely benefit more by adding a little weight in the buttstock than by shortening up the barrel. Much of the "heavy" feel of many rifles is purely due to poor balance vs actual weight.

"If it works, don't fix it" certainly has it's merits, and if it shoots well now, it may not shoot as well after being fixed.

I had the stock that came on it and didnt like it, so I out on a B&C Light Varmint, trying to make this rifle lite, O was trying to avoid putting on a 2.5-3lb stock, I was hoping by fluting and maybe shortening I would get balance and a light(er) rifle.

you really don't need to shorten the chamber end MUCh so don't think now there I am going to loose a half pound . You could but you may not want to my experence with the AI is more length the better. I the chamber was good in what you have now I would not shorten the barrle at chamber by any more than needed to get throat to where I wanted and set should back maybe 0.020....check with your smith for ideas and if it was me I'd run like HECK if he says he can put an Ackley in without removing the barrel and setting all back some.

Couple thoughts on the subject..

Setting back a Factory barrels brings several thoughts to my mind.

1. Factory barrels are generally lessor quality barrels than what is available in the aftermarket. Why spent $200-$400 to set back a marginal barrel quality barrel.

2. Is there ennought metal to do the setback safely? You will have to rebed the stock as the contour will be moved back.

3. Indexing the writing on the barrel may or may not be a concern to you.

4. Is the slight increase in powder capacity and the sharper shoulder angle going to give you the velocity or accuracy gain you are looking for?

5. Are you looking for more horse power then why not go to a 6mm/.284?

Don't forget barrel life decreases exponentially as velocity and preasure increase. Speed does not always equal accuracy.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.