243 chambering

Anton Chigurh

I have all my components for my Rem 700 243 rebarrel may take to gunsmith monday. The last time I talked to him, he said I could make up a dummy round and possibly order a different reamer for a longer throat if I want to. I'm putting an 8 twist barrel on it, so I would like to be able to shoot 105's. I don't have any 105's right now, but I do have berger 95's.
I still want to shoot 87 gr vmax as well, and want to stay within standard mag length OAL. This will be a hunting gun, and secondarily a recreational target shooter.

Should I have throat cut deeper than standard?

I have all my components for my Rem 700 243 rebarrel may take to gunsmith monday. The last time I talked to him, he said I could make up a dummy round and possibly order a different reamer for a longer throat if I want to. I'm putting an 8 twist barrel on it, so I would like to be able to shoot 105's. I don't have any 105's right now, but I do have berger 95's.
I still want to shoot 87 gr vmax as well, and want to stay within standard mag length OAL. This will be a hunting gun, and secondarily a recreational target shooter.

Should I have throat cut deeper than standard?

In my opinion NO.

SAMME chambers are set by the cartridge designer and rifle builders set up there mag length based on Recommended COL and free bore.

The only time a longer throat is needed is if you want to single load.

You can always get it throated later if you decide to for some reason but if you throat it now, and it doesn't like the VLD Type bullets (Secant Ojive) you are done.

J E CUSTOM

I'm thinking the same thing, but it helps to hear it from someone with experience. I want to dabble with vld's, but don't want to hurt performance with shorter bullets. Thanks JE

In my opinion NO.

SAMME chambers are set by the cartridge designer and rifle builders set up there mag length based on Recommended COL and free bore.

The only time a longer throat is needed is if you want to single load.

You can always get it throated later if you decide to for some reason but if you throat it now, and it doesn't like the VLD Type bullets (Secant Ojive) you are done.

J E CUSTOM

I'm thinking the same thing, but it helps to hear it from someone with experience. I want to dabble with vld's, but don't want to hurt performance with shorter bullets. Thanks JE

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.