Re barrel my 300 wm to 300 prc??

308_Branden

Anyone think it's worth swapping barrels from 300 wm ( the lords caliber), to the 300 PRC? No belt, slightly more recoil, heavier projectiles? I feel for reloading it's easier and we can't deny energy on target and better flight path. What do you think? If you can't tell I'm a 30 cal fan boy.

Anyone think it's worth swapping barrels from 300 wm ( the lords caliber), to the 300 PRC? No belt, slightly more recoil, heavier projectiles? I feel for reloading it's easier and we can't deny energy on target and better flight path. What do you think? If you can't tell I'm a 30 cal fan boy.
Only you can make that call. I have 3 .300 WMs and 2 .300 WSMs, along with .30-06, .30 Gibbs, and. 30 LARA. So, for me no, it is not worth it.

Pondered this same question.

The belt means nothing if you don't reload. It really doesn't mean that much if you know how to deal with belted mags if you do reload.

The 300 PRC does edge out the 300 WM, but not by that much. I just can't justify it right now when my WM gets the job done…and done well at that.

If I wanted a 2000 meter gun, I'd buy one. I don't have a use for that nor would I attempt to take game at the range , so it's a no for me right now. Perhaps in the future.

I have other irons in the fire right now too. I'm looking at getting a couple of a suppressors right now. Standing up the new reloading equipment and components for a whole new cartridge is less of a priority for me.

I'm a huge .30 cal guy and went the other direction and bought a .308 bolt gun. I had some auto loader .308s, but no bolt gun .308. That gap was way more important to fill for me rather than getting a bigger .30 cal.

But that's me and YMMV!

Wear out the WM barrel then decide..........
Seconds on this. Not enough differences between the two to swap mid-barrel life.

I should also mention I've had both and reloaded for both. What really did me in was when I started shooting with suppressors. Discovered the heavy 30 cals had a little too much recoil for my suppressed tastes, and recently rebarreled from a 300 PRC to a 7 PRC.

only you can decide... availability of factory ammo, stay with 300 wm. availability of bullets, stay with 30 cal. itching for a new rifle or new reloading equipment? maybe buy a 300 prc...

I've been shooting and reloading for a 300 WM over 35 yrs. So to reinvest into a PRC and the gains is minimal if any. No thanks. If I ever reinvest in another 30 cal it would be a 300 Norma Imp

Anyone think it's worth swapping barrels from 300 wm ( the lords caliber),
NO WAY IN HECK IT HAS BEEN DOING FOR 60 YEARS AND WILL BE DOING FOR ANOTHER 100.
to the 300 PRC?
Same thing as 300WM. Just load up heavier bullets in your 300WM.
No belt, slightly more recoil, heavier projectiles?
No Belt is just internet garbage talking points. Absolutely not one bit of difference in real world results.
I feel for reloading it's easier and we can't deny energy on target and better flight path.
How is reloading a duplicate 300WM any easier? Easy to deny the energy on target and better flight path.....shoot the same bullet in a 300WM.
What do you think? If you can't tell I'm a 30 cal fan boy.
Ignore almost all new age internet talking points and buy a new rifle in 300PRC. 😂 😂 😂

With proper twist and mag length, 300WM will do anything and everything the PRC can do and has been doing it for 60yrs. If you don't mind the extra brass cost and the extra recoil, have at it. Or rebarrel to 300WM or 300WBY for that matter with the twist you want, chamber on the shoulder and off you go. I don't get all these new calibers that can pretty much all be matched by something that already exists/is well proven with minor, easy updates and often with far less cost - Lapua, CM, PRCs in particular. I guess some people like the newer, supposedly "cooler" names. JOMO - I am very happy with my Rems, Wins and Wbys and they kill everything just as dead and just as quickly as ANY of the newer "cool named" stuff.

Since you have all the needed equipment for the 300WM just rebarrel it with a faster twist barrel throated for the long bullets. I built a 30" 8 twist bull barrel in 300PRC when it first came out. It is nothing short of amazing. I am launching the 250gr Hornady A-Tips at 2800FPS using RL26 in Lapua brass. Recoil in this rig is gentle with an all up weight of 20# and an APA FB3 brake. If I remember my numbers right, it's supersonic to 1800 yards and requires just under 7 MRADS to get out to 1000 yards. Properly set up, the WM should do nearly as well and you already have the equipment to load for it.