RCBS Chargemaster 1500 - Power conditioner ?

Depending on your wiring situation.... it could be invaluable.....
I have my A&D 120i wired from breaker box to voltage conditioner ...
It,s the only thing on that line.
I believe it gives more consistent readings,to weighing powder to .02/100ths. Per grain...
What is 2 hundreds of a thousand ?

I've used a Charge Master 1500 for a dozen years. A fine tool.

It's plugged directly into the wall which is supplied by our Rural Electric Association here in very rural Wyoming. Yes, our power is less than ideal.

I've never "warmed up" my Charge Master nor performed any ritualistic dances, sage ceremonies or uttered secret incantations. No, I do not wear a head-dress either.

It's accuracy is reflected in uniform velocities and narrow SD's on my home range.

Has it gone a bit squirrely on a couple rare occasions? Yes. After the exorcism all was well.
So … the annual trip to the witch doctor to bless the unit isn't actually necessary?

The internet has lied to me again.

My Gen 6 mentions a 15min warm up.
I believe the electronics have an acceptible operating range. Any fluctuation within that range would be insignificant.
Also, I think some take the line AC voltage and change it to a regulated DC operating voltage.
If your public electric generator is known for spikes, that could be a killer and should be protected againist.
Gen 6 on right.

Attachments

• IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    543.3 KB · Views: 13
I use one, but probably not like most people. I found it to be less precise than I desired so I measure out each load 0.3 grains light and trickle in the rest on a beam scale. I've seen my velocity ES and SDs come down quite a bit. I also verify the accuracy of the beam scale every so often with reference weights. Once you have a rhythm it doesn't add much time at all.

For non-critical stuff like bulk, short-range stuff I still use it.

Before I changed, I pulled some bullets and measured the charges. There was a powder variation of up to 0.3 grains. As for a warm-up period…… we're not using vacuum tubes. I don't think a little power fluctuation will matter much either, but that's just my general gestalt from my engineering days. I think microfriction from sitting a while is probably more important than an electronic "warm-up."

I've been using an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 for several years now and rarely have had any issues with it, but I've got a few questions.

1. Is there any real advantage to using a power conditioner, like a Tripp-Lite? Are they worth the extra $275? (All of my lighting is currently LED)

2. Often I hear guys say that they let the Chargemaster "warm up". Is this really necessary? How long do some of you warm up your Chargemaster and for how long? Have you seen this make a difference?I always let my Chargemaster, Hornady Auto Charge Pro and my V4 Auto Trickler/ A&D FX 120i warm up 30 mins..The V4/A&d does not require it. But just a habit.
Re Power spikes & drops- I have a dedicated line for all my reloading equipment.

I have had a chargemaster 1500 for the last decade or more. I let it warm up for 15 to 30 minutes if I remember. Lately I have been doing a lot of single stage loading and dump a charge out of my uniflow and trickle the charge up to weight while on the chargemaster.
This has been done at all times of the day and night. I have noticed a lot of - weight shift while the pan is off the scale and another charge is being thrown. At first this concerned me as I had rarely observed this when I used the chargemaster to throw the charge.
I got out my RCBS 1010 beam scale to verify charge weights and found they were right on target no matter what the chargemaster said when the pan was off the 1500. Check weight were used to verify and the chargemaster was calibrated at the beginning and a few times during long sessions.

I have only had my Chargemaster Link for a few months. I let it warm up for 30 min and have it plugged into a UPS I got for $10 from a business going under and liquidating there equipment. Have not had any issues.

I have the Chargemaster 1500 and must say, anyone who thinks electical current fluctuations don't affect motor speeds or sensative equipment like electronic scales either needs a refresher course in basic sciences or admit they do not care about precision and with all due respect, leave the discussion to those that do.

For those people that are only using their Chargemaster to get their obviously rough loads to the nearest whole grain, this discussion of the finer things in life clearly isn't for you (pun intended)

For those people that believe electrical instruments like digital calipers are accurate to the last digit displayed, you may want to rethink that. The last digit on the display needs to be ignored as the software is either rounding up or rounding down to that number. The rounding varies from manufactures and the traditional understanding of rounding is not necessary at play.

I am not an electrical engineer but as a watchmaker I can, with 100% certainty, tell you fluctuations in electrical current affect electrical instruments. Lathe spindle speeds will vary, degrading the precision of the cut. Clocks wired to the municipal current (stoves, school clocks, etc) are worse than a bucket of water with a hole in it like a Chinese water clock simply due to the fact that AC current is not a constant 60hz here in the USA. Of course this standard varies around the world. Clocks in cars are much more precise instruments yet equally piles of crap because they do not have temperature copensation and to the measurement drifts by 5-10 whole minutes a year.

As for warming up your scale, this definitely makes a difference in accuracy and consistency. Some ultra precise electronic watches running on batteries even have built in temperature compensation to keep the rate accurate because each of the electrical components inside will behave differently as temp changes. For equipment plugged into 120/220 the current will do quite a bit of warming up compared to the 1.55v or 3v inside a watch. Load tests and current consumptions reading on watches will vary quite a bit between the testing machine warmed up, freshly turned on but plugged in and freshly plugged in.

Long story short, cleaning up your power will actually increase the accuracy and consistency of your equipment. Universal Power Supplies are great for isolating your equipment from the fluctuations caused by other draws in the home/business. Ferrite line filters are are great too. I have noticed more consistent throws with my UPS unplugged running soley on battery backup.

Some further reading on the subject:

I have the Chargemaster 1500 and must say, anyone who thinks electical current fluctuations don't affect motor speeds or sensative equipment like electronic scales either needs a refresher course in basic sciences or admit they do not care about precision and with all due respect, leave the discussion to those that do.

For those people that are only using their Chargemaster to get their obviously rough loads to the nearest whole grain, this discussion of the finer things in life clearly isn't for you (pun intended)

For those people that believe electrical instruments like digital calipers are accurate to the last digit displayed, you may want to rethink that. The last digit on the display needs to be ignored as the software is either rounding up or rounding down to that number. The rounding varies from manufactures and the traditional understanding of rounding is not necessary at play.

I am not an electrical engineer but as a watchmaker I can, with 100% certainty, tell you fluctuations in electrical current affect electrical instruments. Lathe spindle speeds will vary, degrading the precision of the cut. Clocks wired to the municipal current (stoves, school clocks, etc) are worse than a bucket of water with a hole in it like a Chinese water clock simply due to the fact that AC current is not a constant 60hz here in the USA. Of course this standard varies around the world. Clocks in cars are much more precise instruments yet equally piles of crap because they do not have temperature copensation and to the measurement drifts by 5-10 whole minutes a year.

As for warming up your scale, this definitely makes a difference in accuracy and consistency. Some ultra precise electronic watches running on batteries even have built in temperature compensation to keep the rate accurate because each of the electrical components inside will behave differently as temp changes. For equipment plugged into 120/220 the current will do quite a bit of warming up compared to the 1.55v or 3v inside a watch. Load tests and current consumptions reading on watches will vary quite a bit between the testing machine warmed up, freshly turned on but plugged in and freshly plugged in.

Long story short, cleaning up your power will actually increase the accuracy and consistency of your equipment. Universal Power Supplies are great for isolating your equipment from the fluctuations caused by other draws in the home/business. Ferrite line filters are are great too. I have noticed more consistent throws with my UPS unplugged running soley on battery backup.

Some further reading on the subject:

Whoa

Recent Posts