what power scope

bluedeer

we are shooting baloons at 500meters at my club,benchrest style.I/m thinking a 6x24 variable would be best as the mirage gets pretty heavy sometimes.I was thinking of keeping it on 24x then when mirage gets heavy turn it to 14x.what say ye? The baloons are 5 in. diameter.also should I get a mildot or duplex?Many thanks.

You are on the correct road. The smallest I'd go is a 6-18X. I wouldn't go over 25X as the field of view drops off fast. I like the duplex. The target dot is OK as long as it doen't cover up what your shootin at. Leupold makes some nice scopes.
grin.gif

[ 02-23-2004: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]

A game warden friend of mine talked me into a 6x18 Bushnell with BDC turrets on my 22-250 Remington 788; We shot ducks on ponds at 500-600 yds. with no problem; even at 18x, sometimes the water evaperation woul give me problems in the afternoon;

I cant see what advantage you would have above 18x at anytime, unless you are shooting a heavier bullet, say above 100 gr., and even then at a lot closer that 500 yds;

A game warden friend of mine talked me into a 6x18 Bushnell with BDC turrets on my 22-250 Remington 788; We shot ducks on ponds at 500-600 yds. with no problem; even at 18x, sometimes the water evaperation woul give me problems in the afternoon;

I cant see what advantage you would have above 18x at anytime, unless you are shooting a heavier bullet, say above 100 gr., and even then at a lot closer that 500 yds;

WOW! You dug this way deep! :cool:

Pardon my ignorance but is this a safe and acceptable practice in your area? :D

Not all shooters and their eyes are created equal. Anyways, for my old eyes, I need any magnification advantage I can get ... if I can see my intended target "clearly" at the highest magnification, IMHO it is an advantage regardless of gun, caliber, bullet weight, etc ...

BTW, welcome to LRH and enjoy! Lots of good folks here that are always willing and able to lend a hand and share their experiences.

Sorry to steal the thread-

A game warden friend of mine talked me into a 6x18 Bushnell with BDC turrets on my 22-250 Remington 788; We shot ducks on ponds at 500-600 yds. with no problem; even at 18x, sometimes the water evaperation woul give me problems in the afternoon

Hey brother, you should really watch what you post on the internet, Game Warden buddy or not! That's a FEDERAL Migratory Bird...straight off the AGFC website:

Legal Hunting Equipment

Legal Weapons
Waterfowl may be taken only with shotguns 10-gauge and smaller that are rendered incapable of holding more than three shells, archery equipment and muzzleloading shotguns.
Legal Shot
While waterfowl hunting, the only type of shot that may be in the hunter's possession are: steel, tungsten-iron (Hevi-Steel), tungsten-polymer, tungsten-matrix, tungsten-iron-nickel-tin (TINT), tungsten-nickel-iron (Hevi-Shot), tungsten-bronze-iron (TBI), tungsten-tin-bismuth (TTB) or bismuth-tin or such shot approved as nontoxic by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Hunters may use only nontoxic shot size T (.2-inch diameter) and smaller when hunting waterfowl and coots. Other migratory birds (doves, rails, woodcock, snipe, moorhens and gallinules) may be taken with size T and smaller nontoxic shot or size BB (.18-inch diameter) and smaller lead shot.

I think what you meant to say is you were shooting your own domestic ducks.
And yes I know most COPs /Wardens are hypocrites, so we'll leave it at that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.