Rangefinders

anyone using any of these previously mentioned(or any other for that matter) able to pick up coyotes bedded on a snowy hill side with any consistency?

I have another thread out about this but I am hoping the coyote hunters will chime in and share their experiences picking up coyotes in big open country...I in the market for a new LRF because my old Nikon 800 nor my Leupold RX IV 1000 (both for sale btw) will pick up a bedded(or standing for that matter) reliably beyond 300-400 yards or so.....

Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, G7 they are all options....

Thanks,

Jamie

The huge beam divergence in the zeiss is the problem. Just as Mullmann described above. It will grab anything in sight in some conditions. That's the problem and also the reticle is large for my taste.

My son just listed his Leica 1200 CRF-Y in the classifieds. This unit works well beyond its advertised distance. It has been tested for accuracy along side my Vectronix PLRF 10. It is a good unit at a good price.

Jeff

i have noticed this thats why i asked looks like it's for sale and a leica is on the cards

anyone using any of these previously mentioned(or any other for that matter) able to pick up coyotes bedded on a snowy hill side with any consistency?

I have another thread out about this but I am hoping the coyote hunters will chime in and share their experiences picking up coyotes in big open country...I in the market for a new LRF because my old Nikon 800 nor my Leupold RX IV 1000 (both for sale btw) will pick up a bedded(or standing for that matter) reliably beyond 300-400 yards or so.....

Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, G7 they are all options....

Thanks,

Jamie

Ranged two separate coyotes on two different days last year in Wy. first was standing in tall grass at 376 yds. only problem we were scouting only firearm was my 44S&W he was a little out of range:D. A few days later ranged a smaller female around 250 or so she was laying down by the time my hunting partner found her she was up and on the run. I use a leica 1600b..

Jamie, If you want to actually range the body of a coyote at distances past 1200 yards on snow you will only do it with a Vectronix or a RF of equal or higher cost.

I have ranges coyotes at 1 mile in wheat stubble and some at 1500 on snow. This is a test of a good RF and one will pay for this kind of performance.

Some lesser Rf's with larger beam divergence may return numbers but if I was there with my PLRF10 on sand bags I would tell you what that RF was really and truly returning a range from. Many times it is not what one thinks, although many are fooled thinking they did indeed range the intended target. I see this all the time.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts