Rangefinder experience

nksmfamjp

What is the farthest you have ranged a deer at? What rangefinder were you using?

What is the farthest object you have ranged? What was it? What rangefinder did you use?

Seems like answering these questions will be a big help for those of us in the market for a rangefinder and don't want to be surprized by a product which says 1000 yards, but only ranges deer to 200 yards.

1855 yards

Swarovski RF

2169 yards, bare hillside in cloudy conditions

Swarovski RF

One thing to remember, about 98% of the time when you range an animal out past 800-900 yards, you are actually ranging the area around the animal and not the specific animal.

If you were say in a very flat field and there was a big buck out there 1100 yards that you could see basically skylined, you would be hard pressed to get any rangefinder to get you repeatable consistant readings on that small of a target, especially ranging offhand. If it were mounted up on a tripod you would have better luck.

Again, in most cases when you range really long range targets, your getting a reading off the actual target and the surrounding area as well.

I have been able to range 70 lb square hay bails out to 1350-1400 yards pretty easily in pretty much any condition with the Swarovski RF with a fresh battery. Even in the brightest of conditions, full sun on snow covered ground it will generally reach out past 1000 yards on that size targets.

For the money it is the best RF I have tested. The upper level Newcon rangefinders are supposed to be even better but they are also pretty spendy as well. The 3000 model is about twice what the Swari is and the 4000 model is about 4 times as much!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a swarovski and haven't yet found reason to fault it optically but the carrying system doesn't suit me at all. The lens protection isn't up to a good field ready standard in my opinion. Any of you chaps found the same and come up with nifty solutions, I carry mine in a clean pocket and was thinking of buying a camara carrying case to protect it (when I can bring myself to go shopping).

Right at 800 yards on a deer and coyotes, 875 yards on an elk. 900 yards on building. I am using a Nikon 800 Buckmasters.

However on the flip side, I was yote hunting yesterday. Spot a coyote across a bare plowed wheat field. He was no more then 600 yards, my nikon 800 would not pick him up. I've found my nikon to be pretty crappy as far as ranging over wheat fields on coyotes. On deer it seems to do a lot better, but I've read/heard that ranging over flat terrain is hard for lasers cuz theres nothing to bounce back. Needless to say, I missed the stupid coyote that was standing there. ****ed me off. I would like to try the Nikon 1200, or leica 1200. For pure ranging capability though, cant beat the swaro.

My buddy bought one of leupolds 1000 yard models with TBR. It would not range deer past 450-500 period. Leupold needs to do something about there ranging, or forget being in the rangefinder business.

Lrf 1200 and wild

LRF1200 verses the wild not even comparable really.

The lrf1200 is really good in its place , IE your pocket.

It will reliably take you out to 600-700mtrs on deer sized targets (hand held).

It has personally let me down most of the time further out.

Sometimes conditions sometimes inability to aim it straight enough.

Have not used tripod with LRF1200 could add a new dimension?

When the going gets tough the lrf is eclipsed by the wild but at the cost of portability and weight, this rules out the wild on many occasions.

Its excellent tripod and weight allows you to be dead on target and rock steady to extreme range.

Max range for wild on deer sized target probably 2500-3500Mtrs or a bit further?

Ranged TV aerial @ 13KM!!!!

Jeza

I bought the leupold Rx4 flagship model before I bought the swaro and it was a piece of [censored]! It looked like I was looking through a coke bottle. No more china for me! The thing would barely get to 1000 yards on a reflective target. It says 1500 on a reflective target. And trees forget it.

I have ranged broken brush in low light and sunny conditions at 1999 yards with my swaro. After stepping back 1 or 2 yards it reads error. I assume 1999 is the cut of or maybe it is a coincidence. I have ranged deer at 1300 yards with ease. Dall sheep at 1800 yards with the same ease. I havent had the chance to range game any farther than those. I cant be dissapointed in not being able to range past 1999 yards scince it is a 1500 yard rangefinder.

When I had my Lieca 1200, I could easily range game and brush at 1225 in any light conditions. Never seemed to work past that. You cant be too dissapointed in that scince it was a "1200" yard range finder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Both my Lieca and Swaro did/do very awesome with in the parameters they were designed for.

my swaro is one fine piece of equipment. I would not buy anything else after looking through every one. The new compact leica was nice but the optics weren't as good as there older model and not even close to the swaro's .

Ranged a horse at 1122yds with my 8x42 Geovids (don't generally see deer that far out here) and ranged rocks on the mountain at 1329yds but I haven't had it all that long and I haven't done much testing.

Much easier to hold steady than the small handheld units, have a Leupold RXII that won't reliably range ANYTHING past 350yds unless the conditions are perfect.

Two weeks ago I stopped by Cabelas. I noticed in the bargain cave they had several rangefinders and asked to go out and compare the Swaro and Bushnell 1500 Elite.
They had a very good price on the Swaro and I intendended on buying it. We went outside to try them out. First I tried the Bushnell. Everything I pointed it at I had a yardage readingwithin 2 seconds, the furthest at 1564 yards on a grain elevator. I also ranged some trees and signs. I believe the trees were in the 750 yd range signs 200-400 range. I then tried the Swaro rangefinder. It took a very long time to get a reading on everything, even highly reflective targets. Some targets that I got a reading with the Bushnell I didn't get a reading with the Swaro. The ones I did get a reading on with both rangefinders the range was within a yard, including the 1564 yd range which was exactly the same. So….. I went ahead and bought the Bushnell. In field use it has been a little disappointing; anything over 800 yds has been difficult unless it is large and or white. I have ranged black cows at 500+ yards though and red cows at 700 yards. I don't know what I am doing different but in the field it doesn't seem to be as good as when I did the testing.
I really don't understand why in the comparison the Bushnell blew away the Swarovski. Possibly batteries weren't full charge on the Swaro.
Anyway that's my story.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.