Your Experience

Maybe I need to buy all 3 and return 2 of them lol
That is the best way to test and compare scopes, you really have to spend some time behind them to see the differences, especially for things like eye fatigue. Some glass can give you a headache or make your eyes seem blurry after a while.

Just from my experience, I was also reprehensive about putting an Athlon on anything. I haven't had much good luck with china glass. I gambled and ended up getting a Midas Tac 4-16x44 for my 6.5 Grendel AR and it's actually not too bad, the price was right for the features I wanted (sorta...I wish it was illuminated now, but that's okay.) It seems to track well and get me to where I need to be I haven't done any box or tall target tests on it yet. I just finished working a load for it and got it in the Kestrel so time has yet tell how much I like it. Clarity is decent, not top of the line but it's better than I was expecting.

I figure when I feel like spending more money I'll buy a better optic for this rifle and put the Athlon on a 22 or something "cheaper" for the kids to practice with. I have other rifles that "need" optics/better optics before the goof around AR gets more money spent on it.

The gal that just made the 4200 yard shot, or whatever it was, had an Athlon Chronos on her rifle when she did it.

That is the best way to test and compare scopes, you really have to spend some time behind them to see the differences, especially for things like eye fatigue. Some glass can give you a headache or make your eyes seem blurry after a while.
Yea i think your right on the money there.
im thinking of ordering the XTR III and athlon of some kind, but you guys know how it goes my mind can change with it every hour on the hour lol

Just from my experience, I was also reprehensive about putting an Athlon on anything. I haven't had much good luck with china glass. I gambled and ended up getting a Midas Tac 4-16x44 for my 6.5 Grendel AR and it's actually not too bad, the price was right for the features I wanted (sorta...I wish it was illuminated now, but that's okay.) It seems to track well and get me to where I need to be I haven't done any box or tall target tests on it yet. I just finished working a load for it and got it in the Kestrel so time has yet tell how much I like it. Clarity is decent, not top of the line but it's better than I was expecting.

I figure when I feel like spending more money I'll buy a better optic for this rifle and put the Athlon on a 22 or something "cheaper" for the kids to practice with. I have other rifles that "need" optics/better optics before the goof around AR gets more money spent on it.

The gal that just made the 4200 yard shot, or whatever it was, had an Athlon Chronos on her rifle when she did it.
I feel the same it just doesn't feel right putting a Chinese scope on a high end gun.

my dad just picked up a XTR II, lets just say I'm hoping the III is noticeably better it defiantly isn't junk but i would probably avoid them.
Things that stood out to me for the bad
the illumination/parallax knob sticks out ridiculously far
glass is mid tier at best like similar to Leupold VX-3i In my experience. I cant harp on that to much because of the price point.
numbers on the turrets are very small and would be difficult to read especially if you're older and or anything other than great lighting.

Good stuff
one the things that made me happy was the Erectors seem to feel like a Swiss watch, super tight and positive engagement.
features were good considering this was a $600/700 optic

We'll see how it holds up and compares to the XTR III…
should have it this week so ill keep you guys updated.

How do you all feel the Arken stuff stacks up to the xtr
I have an Arken 4x16x44 MOA and Burris Veracity 3x15x50. The Veracity and XTR II are supposed to be the same glass from what I read. The Burris is clearer and the color contrast and color brightness at distance is better.

I like the Arken, but it isn't doing anything better than the Veracity beside price point. The arken also ended up having a dark spot pop up in the reticle after about 40 rounds and I had to send it back. Service was great on warranty, but I now am gun shy about trusting it a little.

I just picked up a 4x20x50 XTR II but it isn't mounted yet. For $600 on Natchez I couldn't not try it. I would like an XTRIII on day too.

Following. The one James at Barbour Creek reviewed is an impressive for it's price point.
Well as a follow up to this I purchased one of the Athlon Cronus 4.5-29 Gen 2 scopes. I really wanted to like this scope; the turrets were fantastic. By far the best and most robust in regards to positive clicks I've ever felt. Unfortunately the glass was not up to par with my NF NX8 4-32 or my Leupold Mark 5. I mean it really wasn't even close. I would compare it to a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 at best.

At the price point I bought it at ($1699) you'd be better served to shop around and buy a used NX8 4-32. By the time you add Tenebraex covers and a throw lever to the Athlon you are with a couple hundred $$ of the Nightforce.

I feel the same it just doesn't feel right putting a Chinese scope on a high end gun.
FWIW the Cronus is made in Japan, not China.

Just got the XTR III in and mounted.
out of the gate it is considerably better glass quality than the XTR II.
reticle is interesting and will take some getting used to...
being the FFP, from 3.3 to 8x the reticle has a whopping 68 MOA marked out below the horizontal plane but at max power (18x) only 38 MOA is seen in the scope just to the power increase.
I'm not to sure why they would've made it that way but anyways, nothing wrong with it, just different to me.
planning to do a low light comparison this evening to the Amplus 6 3-18, NXS 3-15 and a leupold mark 5.

Turrets on the XTR III feel good. I actually think my NXS's maybe feel a bit more positive and precise if that makes any sense but these aren't far off…
the weight is really impressive for what it offers In my opinion.

ill try and keep this thread update.

hope this helps somebody in their decision making.