Meopta experience

cohunt

Looking for a hunting scope for 300 rum

Anyone have experience with the optika5 or optika6 series?
5-20, 4.5-27, 5-30?
How well do they track?
How is the glass quality?

I've only ever used moa and sfp scopes-- wish i could try something in ffp to see if I like it.

I have a 3-15 Optika5 with the Z Plus (MOA) reticle on order.
Supposed to be in anytime now.

The only FFP scope I have is a Crimson Trace Series 2.
Great glass!!
Heavy!! (Illuminated)
I'm really mixed in opinion on the FFP for hunting.
At low power the cross hair is really small.
At higher power, the reticle lines become thicker.

Since it is illuminated, I put it on my coyote rifle. Savage Axis II action with 24" barrel in 250 Savage.

I have a 3-15 Optika5 with the Z Plus (MOA) reticle on order.
Supposed to be in anytime now.

The only FFP scope I have is a Crimson Trace Series 2.
Great glass!!
Heavy!! (Illuminated)
I'm really mixed in opinion on the FFP for hunting.
At low power the cross hair is really small.
At higher power, the reticle lines become thicker.

Since it is illuminated, I put it on my coyote rifle. Savage Axis II action with 24" barrel in 250 Savage.
That's my concern-- is low level reticle --- I've also heard if you get illuminated it helps --- but I usually leave my scopes in low power as I walk to a spot/scout/stalk for quick/close opportunities that may present themselves ---- then if/when I jave a long shot opportunity I will crank up the magnification.

I also like the ability of the sfp scopes to set at a certain magnification to set drops of the bdc reticle. But the "set drops" of the ffp scopes no matter what the magnification also interests me.
If I have the opportunity to dial I will, and when shots get long I always dial-- but it's nice having bdc marks as an option

Realistically, in a hunting situation, I'm not finding where the FFP scopes give that much of an advantage over the SFP scopes.

Granted most of my hunting shots are 400 yards or less.
But my opportunities are out to 1,500+ yards.

Even at 400 yards, game isn't spooked. And you have the time to accurately range them.

With an accurate range, out to 600 yards (coyote) I've had no issues using the reticle instead of dialing.

Really the only time I use the dials is during range sessions or matches.

Realistically, in a hunting situation, I'm not finding where the FFP scopes give that much of an advantage over the SFP scopes.

Granted most of my hunting shots are 400 yards or less.
But my opportunities are out to 1,500+ yards.

Even at 400 yards, game isn't spooked. And you have the time to accurately range them.

With an accurate range, out to 600 yards (coyote) I've had no issues using the reticle instead of dialing.

Really the only time I use the dials is during range sessions or matches.
YUP.

SFP so I can see the reticle at all mag ranges. 50yds to 500yds. Ain't hard to aim a little high or low.

FFP when I'm playing Covid 2023-2028 zombiethon on the IPSC plates to 1500yds.

I don't have the exact scope but I have an Optika 6 3-18. Its tracking has been spot on; have had it a few years now. The glass is pretty good, especially for the price. The one thing I don't like is the dot in my reticle is 1 moa as in that is huge! It makes it hard to shoot paper. My son and I have both killed antelope with it and it didn't seem to be an issue. I prefer SFP for hunting. The Optika 6 line can be a little heavy, depending on what you are looking for.

My hunting partner had an Optika 6. For about 3 years, it operated perfectly with great glass and he was pleased. Last season, it started losing zero suddenly and hasn't tracked well since, causing him to miss 2 animals. Rather than sending it in for warranty replacement, he replaced it with another brand as he no longer trusts Meopta.

I had an optica 6 a few years ago. Glass was decent, but sent it back as it wouldn't track. Had it on my 25-284 and it wouldn't track right from the start of load development.

I have had two of the optica5 and they were very good scopes, clear & tracked well. I only sold them as they were on the rifle I was selling and both people liked the scopes as well. I have the 5-30x56 in optica 6, FFP, 34MM tube. I gave around $1,000 for it, and it is well worth the money. The optica 6 is a step up from the 5's, for the money you can't beat the quality of scope. It's as clear as my USO's, Leupold 3i, but a step behind my two Zeiss Victory's & LRP S3 6-36X56. But that to be expected as the Zeiss cost a good bit more.. I believe the Meopta 6 is a hidden gem, I'm very happy with mine. Good luck & hope this helps.

Recent Posts