Range Finder?

If you are looking for a rangefinder with an onboard ballistics program you will need to look at the SIG or GSeven. If you want a solid rangefinder without the ballistics, grab a Leica. Of all the brands I have handled my Leica is the best for repeat-ability, fast ranging, and ease of use. It is fast and repeatable and small enough to carry in a shirt pocket. I paid $800 for mine but the prices have since been lowered (I believe one is a 1600CRF and the other is a 2000B).
I ll second BJH. G7 if you want the ballistics on board and Lieca without.

Just got a Nikon Black Rangex 4k. Sweet little rangefinder. Very accurate out to 3100 so far & fast as hell!! I went with the review that Broz did & I'm very happy.

BW
Can you direct us to Broz's review?

Yep wish I could get my money back how did you get your money back? I found a deal on the Leica 2000b.
I didnt even have the replacement for 30 days when I discovered it was junk, 30 days was the return policy..
Good luck I hope they get yours working

I have used a Leica 1600B for a few years. Small, light, fast, extremely accurate. I have ranged deer and elk out past 1400, and rocks/trees past 1800.

I just picked up a G7 BR2 that I plan on taking hunting this year. I have ranged objects over 1800 with it as well. But the Leica will go along too.

I was talking to a guy over at europtic he talked me into spending g extra and saving longer and going for the Leica rangefinding binoculars which after thinking about it I think I'm still going to pick up a regular Leica for the time being if I can still find one on sale then keep it for bow hunting once I get the binoculars.

I was talking to a guy over at europtic he talked me into spending g extra and saving longer and going for the Leica rangefinding binoculars which after thinking about it I think I'm still going to pick up a regular Leica for the time being if I can still find one on sale then keep it for bow hunting once I get the binoculars.
Go back to Europtic and talk to Boyd Heaton. Don't tell him what you want, just ask what he uses for ranging and glassing. Check to find out the days he works first.

I read that article, but did Broz author it, or assist in the testing?
Sorry my bad. It was not Broz. But the reviewer did his homework. I let my shooting buddies try it & the consensus was "lightning fast".

BW

Lots of information and recommendations, but could we get a consensus of:
1. Best bang for the buck for the average, seasonal, (bow, pistol, rifle) hunter whose max range will never exceed 400 yds with the rifle?
2. The models and costs to consider at the opposite end, which have all the HQ bells and whistles, and where the point where the laws of diminishing returns set in?
Does this price point get you to 1000 yards, or more?
In other words, "buy once, call it a day." (unless, obsolescence when the next model arrives, makes this impossible?...and then why spend so much, when you know you have a very bad and very costly case of Technology Acquisition Syndrome?
3. Do these categories have to be subdivided into:
1. Best for extended range Target Shooting, where you bench rest the optic on a graphite tripod that just doubled the optics price?
2. Best for extended range Hunting, where the game emerges from cover, and slowly walks and often stops in that open field, (and always broadside to your position), and literally poses for you?
3. Best under real world, immediate decision, hunting conditions, when you need the best handheld ergonomics, along with perfect image stabilization, that makes it easy and quick, to get it into action, and to acquire the Target, and has the quickest, and most accurate, response, ....because all of this range finding, just used up 4 seconds of your "5 second window to take that 1 shot kill?" Especially when that "B&C rack", or that "feed the extended family for the entire Winter, freezer stuffer," suddenly appears out of nowhere?

Last edited:
Lots of information and recommendations, but could we get a consensus of:
1. Best bang for the buck for the average, seasonal, (bow, pistol, rifle) hunter whose max range will never exceed 400 yds with the rifle?
2. The models and costs to consider at the opposite end, which have all the HQ bells and whistles, at the point where the laws of diminishing returns set in? In other words, "buy once, call it a day." ( if obsolescence when the next model arrives, makes thus impossible?) dies this price point get you to 1000 yards, or more?
3. Do these categories have to be subdivided into:
1. Best for extended range Target Shooting,
2. Best for extended range Hunting, where the game slowly walks and stops broadside to your position, and literally poses for you, and
3. Best under real world, immediate decision, hunting conditions, when you need the best handheld ergonomics, along with perfect image stabilization, that makes it easy and quick, to get it into action, and to acquire the Target, and them has quickest, and most accurate, response, ....because all of this just used up 4 seconds of your "5 second window to make that 1 shot kill", when that "B&C rack", or that "feed the extended familyfir the entire Winter, freezer stuffer," suddenly appears out of nowhere?

Need to add a prairie dog category. For that I've experienced normal range finders just don't work well. Swaro or Leica range finding binos work pretty well. Not much to range on in a dog town.

Well for those who don't shoot past say even 500 yds, I personally wouldn't worry about even owning a rangefinder.
Get to know your gun well and thats all you will need.
Not all that many years ago there weren't any small lazer rangefinders. Some of us had and some still do have the old military units that are not very easy to carry around. We took them to the remote locations one time usually during the off season, and marked different ranges and made a book of those for all the different locations we hunt. Weve done the same by just shooting at rocks and making note of the click information. The rocks, especially the larger ones rarely move around much. lol
Even though we now also have lazers, we still prefer using the old book because its much faster.
So consider all that before deciding that you cant live without one because you can, and even very well.
If you know how to use a scope, you can guess the distance, and be on target or very close with the second shot even at fairly long distances without any information at all, assuming of coarse you or someone saw the first hit.
So whats more important, a rangefinder or seeing hits?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.