Range Finder?

Mark Brendemuehl

What is everyone using for a rangefinder? I have tried Leupold and Nikon and both were / are frankly junk. Lasing anything past 300-400 yards is like getting a root canal. Though all that I have tried boast much longer ranges, I have tried three models of the above brands and none were even remotely close to ranging what they say they can.
This leaves me with trying to range with my reticle, and on moving targets, and varying sizes of coyotes, and in the dark, that doesn't work the best either. Any suggestions on products that are legit in what they advertise? Or anyone have a better way of doing things?
The only suggestion I had from one of the companies was that I "must not be holding the unit still when I use it and should use a tripod." Sure... no way in hell I am carrying more stuff through Minnesota snow drifts.
Thanks all.
Mark

I have been using Nikon's 1st Generation Vibration Reduction rangfinder for 2 years now with zero issues. 2 friends have bought them after trying out mine and again, zero issues. I got to check out the new for 2018 MONARCH 3000 Stabilized at SHOT Show and it is much better than what I have. I know it's on sale for another few days for $50 off too. I have used my 7iVR in KS blowing snow, OK rain, and TX heat and still using the same battery.

I have a Leupold rx1000tbr that works great gets 600-700 yards easy the by far best one I've had is a gunwerks g7 br2500 it ranges no problem out to 2000+ yards and very reliable ballistics calculator

I just purchased a rx-2800 and it will range round bales from 2100 to 2400 yards depending on conditions.
Had a bushnell 1mile arc and it ranged extremely well to 1100-1200 yards and I did range a coyote at 1426 with it.

Well the fact is the more steady they are the better they perform, and thats true will all of them regardless of cost. And the fact is also that at some point due to certain conditions, you wont get a range.

Just got a Nikon Black Rangex 4k. Sweet little rangefinder. Very accurate out to 3100 so far & fast as hell!! I went with the review that Broz did & I'm very happy.

BW

I have a Sig kilo 2200mr that ranges geese at 1000 yards and buildings out to 2500 easy. I used to have a Leupold 1000 yard rf and it struggled past 500 yards.

If you are looking for a rangefinder with an onboard ballistics program you will need to look at the SIG or GSeven. If you want a solid rangefinder without the ballistics, grab a Leica. Of all the brands I have handled my Leica is the best for repeat-ability, fast ranging, and ease of use. It is fast and repeatable and small enough to carry in a shirt pocket. I paid $800 for mine but the prices have since been lowered (I believe one is a 1600CRF and the other is a 2000B).

I had a leupold 1000 and it was a struggle anything past 500 yards. I upgraded to the sig kilo 2000 worked for a year, then last year it started giving me troubles. Sent it in they received it like July 5 or 6 and haven't heard a word yet on it still waiting. When I call they have been helpful but there turn around time is not like vortex. If I was to do it again I say either get the Leica or g7 if the funds allow. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the Leica.

I had a leupold 1000 and it was a struggle anything past 500 yards. I upgraded to the sig kilo 2000 worked for a year, then last year it started giving me troubles. Sent it in they received it like July 5 or 6 and haven't heard a word yet on it still waiting. When I call they have been helpful but there turn around time is not like vortex. If I was to do it again I say either get the Leica or g7 if the funds allow. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the Leica.
Leica 1600 is a really good rangefinder.
I had a sig kilo 2000 as well and it was defective right out of the box, waited weeks and weeks for a replacement and it had serious issues giving consistent readings, and would not work at all when temps got below 40 degrees.
Luckily I was able to get my money back, what a piece of junk!
My leica 1600b has been extremely reliable and accurate.

Yep wish I could get my money back how did you get your money back? I found a deal on the Leica 2000b.

Thanks for the replies all. Obviously I need to try a new one. If you guys are ranging stuff that far out with no issues, I need to upgrade/update. The one I have now, I rarely can even range my TRUCK at 400 yards or further. I had it at the range this week and it read all three backstops wrong, and not even close. I have had enough. Thank you again.

Thanks for the replies all. Obviously I need to try a new one. If you guys are ranging stuff that far out with no issues, I need to upgrade/update. The one I have now, I rarely can even range my TRUCK at 400 yards or further. I had it at the range this week and it read all three backstops wrong, and not even close. I have had enough. Thank you again.
Yeah, upgrade and dump the *** Tinker Toys you've been using.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.