Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

The magazines were one of the problems with the older M-16's and why we loaded only 18 rounds in a 20-round magazine. I have seen some interesting writeups on them for the 1911 as well as some of the other semiauto pistols. I have had some problems with magazines for the CZ1953 model, springs, followers and feed lips.

This morning, I got up and saw that it was overcast, snowing and a little breezy. I was going to look at the news on my computer then Walt and I were going to have a cup of coffee as we normally do. But the computer had other ideas for the start of my day and the modem wasn't working, I called the provider and the lady from Tulsa OK tested my system then told me your modem isn't working. I thought that's what I told her she said well just unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in, okay I have already done that, but will try it again. Well, that didn't do it so I can get a tech to your house on Wednesday afternoon, can't I just take my modem over and exchange it for another one? No we have to check your wires do you want to buy some insurance for your lines? no! Well, it will be 50.00 dollars for the tech to check everything. Okay bye. I took it over to the shop and finally got it checked after about 20 minutes of the same thing, and the lady finally saying oh the person just came in that can check it for you, but you never even got out of your chair how could you see and know that? 20 minutes later another lady comes out to tell me your modem isn't working it won't start. Okay I've told three people that now can I get a new one to try and see if that fixes the problem? I bring it home and set it up wow it works my service is up and running. I call and tell them I don't need the tech to come over they are busy enough and the new modem fixed it for me. It was now snowing and raining so now I decide that I will clean my M&P 40 S&W . After my last project and having done some more studying I now know more of the things that I should be looking for and at as I'm cleaning it. This gets me to thinking after having equipment out for coyote control, traps, snares and M-44's plus ambushing them and calling for them for at least 36 years I just got to know what I was doing and didn't really have to think about what I was going to take with me every day. Grab my trapping bucket and everything needed was in it. Grab my snaring bucket and everything was in it. Grab my calling bag and it was ready to go. I didn't have to think about doing the little things that make so much difference to having a successful day, or killing the troublemaker, even my truck was ready everything in it and in its place. Then I say to myself that is why we ask professionals to work on things for us or to help us do things because they just know what to do in each step of the way and they are most likely the same as me and control work, and only have to stop and really think about it when they are telling someone else how to. We all are like that in what we do and love to do we learn it and learn it well then so much of it just becomes automatic to us. But it's still an unknown to others.

Several years ago, a new guy called me and ask me to go with him to one of his new ranchers place the next day. I said okay and he said be sure to bring your howler. On the way out to the ranch he asked me not to shoot any coyotes that I got called in. We got to the ranch picked up the rancher and headed out to the pasture he was having trouble in hid the truck, climbed a ridge and got set up in some rocks. The rancher looked at me and asked where's your rifle? I just told him I won't need one you have yours and 5673 has his. The rancher had a nice pair of binoculars with him, which came in handy, I let out a locator series and waited a few minutes and did another series and got a response. The rancher asked me how far out they are, I told him probably about a mile out over on that point of the hill in the sage brush. he gets his binoculars up and starts looking then tells me you have it right they are just where you said they were how did you know that? By doing it for so long and doing just as you did look for them. I talked to them again and watched them come off of the point and start our way, they closed the distance and at close to 100 yards they stopped to stand and look for the invading coyote, two nearly simultaneously fired shots and the pair fell. The distance to a coyote can be told by their sounds but it takes a little practice to know for sure what the distance actually is, he had heard coyotes hundreds of times in his lifetime but really didn't pay attention to where they were before and so he wanted to check and see if I knew where they were by listening to them. When you have coyotes come in and you have two shooters you make it known beforehand who shoots at what coyote and when you will shoot. Normally you shoot the coyote that is on your side and on the three count, if it's only one the rancher gets the shot, and you are the backup shooter. I had a rancher with me one morning and knew pretty close where the den was, I howled, and we watched a coyote jump up and run to us, stop at about 75 yards out. We both were on the coyote just after he jumped up and started in and kept him in the scope till, he stopped and fired nearly at the same time, the rancher says you shot it too. I smiled at him and said I'm trying out a new load and want to see how it does on a coyote, which was actually the case, but he took it that I didn't have faith in him hitting the coyote.

The robins, meadow larks and western blue birds got back in mid-March. Yesterday I noticed that the black buzzards were now back. They have been very informative to me in the past letting me know where kills and dead animals were located. The other birds tell me when some animal is moving around close to me by stopping their singing. The scavenger birds are real tattle tails and tell me so many times when a predator is coming sneaking in towards me in the brushy draws and deep ravines or the brushy creek banks of the mountains or the dark timber. American Kestrels have told me about bobcats and coyotes coming in up in the high country. The Magpies, crows and jays have told me so many times where a hidden predator was, they just can't help themselves they have to yell at them and pester them. Deer and antelope have to stare at them and watch them as they move as do the cows and other livestock. One morning I slipped into a rock pile got set up and started howling, the next thing I know there were half a dozen momma cows surrounding me and kept me in the rocks till a coyote showed up and they put him in another rock pile till I shot him. They can be your ally or your bad dream, but I know one thing for sure they know more about when a predator is moving then I do. It pays to pay attention to what they have to say to you, the more eyes and ears that you put to use the better informed you will be, and they are there naturally so the predators don't get as scared of them as they do of us humans. Even the insects have a story to tell us when we are out in their world.

The inexpensive 1911 that I have been working with as a learning project had a 10-round magazine with it. Yesterday I picked up another magazine that was a nine-round magazine and just looking at it you could see that it was a better quality. What a difference it makes in how well it fits, feeds and comes out for a new one to go into place. My 1911 will never be as good as a custom built one but it certainly has become a better one than what it started out as. And probably the best part is that I learned a bunch and enjoyed the whole process.

For students of the 1911, I highly recommend THE best first book to get is Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 Shop Manual.
You can buy it new on Amazon for just over $50 or go to Abe Books website and pick up a like-new copy for about $35.

Ed
I totally agree with you about Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 Shop Manual .

Also , you can go to BROWNELLS.com , go to their : Bench Talk , News , Views , and Tech Talk .
Look for Tech article titled "2 1/2 pound Trigger Pull", by Jack Weigand .

Near the end of the article/story , he describes "SEAR SPRING PREP" , in which he describes how he adjusts the sear spring and disconnector spring to specific weight/tension to achieve the desired trigger pull weight .

Please note that he has written/described the specific machining procedures , and tools used , in preparing the hammer and sear , using proper gunsmithing tools and fixtures to properly/SAFELY tune the trigger pull weights on 1911 pistols , PRECEDING the final chapter "SEAR SPRING PREP".

Last edited:
I've found many a coyote by doing a quick scan of the white-tailed deer that are always scattered around the hillsides here. Standing at attention with there tails straight out is how they say "coyote" to each other.
Exactly how I get alot of mine too. Watching our "nieghbors" in the fields around the house here. When they go nuts I head for the gun lol.

I wish that I could have had the Colt .45 Automatic shop manual in the mid 70's. I probably would have used them more than the H R revolver that I've carried since then and put thousands of rounds through it. Gotta love the learning experience, simplicity, beauty but yet the complexity of the way things work together as well as the interchangeability of parts to upgrade for the betterment of it. I have a 4140 frame and slide with new better quality of internals and sights. And they told me it was a newer idea to have modularity in the M-16, actually that is the way things were being steered towards around 1900 just look at the model T and the model A, as well as other products of the time frame.

We have been getting an April storm since yesterday evening. Winds gusting as high as 90 mph at times. In my area we didn't get really deep snow but have had snow and rain for 24 hours. With the winds a lot of roads and highways have been closed, with several trucks turned on their sides due to winds. One highway patrol car was hit head on, the trooper was taken in and released from the hospital. I'm ready for some leaves to sprout on the Aspens, I didn't get up to set in an aspen patch last summer or fall just to listen and smell them. I had a friend that grew up in the mountains on her parent's ranch, she was helping her dad mow hay one day and at lunch time they were setting in an aspen grove eating lunch, she was always a chatty person, her dad looked at her and asked her have you ever just stopped sat and listened to what the trees have to say. Her dad and mom had been gone for several years when she was telling me about it, and that it still kind of hurt her feelings for him to say that to her. She thought he was being nice and telling her to stop talking. I said don't you think that maybe he was saying that you could stop and enjoy just being out in the sun, fresh air, and hearing the song of the breeze in the aspens and relax a little bit not just telling you to stop talking but to teach you that the world is telling you things all of the time if you want to listen to it. She got tears in her eyes sat there a few minutes then looked at me and quietly said all these years I let my feelings be hurt by what daddy said to me and you just explained it to me, I think the way he really meant it to be. I am going to take a few trips up just to listen to the aspen, pine trees and the breeze this year. I always go out and set at one water tank just to listen to the meadow larks and enjoy the sun shining before I call coyotes at that spot every spring. All take care in this winter (spring) storm, and if you are going to, enjoy the eclipse.

Mother Nature and being out in all it's glory can be a very spiritual thing. For me anyway. Yes, sometimes you just have to stop and soak it all in for a few minutes. I'm not in the path of darkness today, just outside it, but close enough to get a good look and I plan to soak that in for a few minutes today too. I use my welding hood lol.