Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

My buddy I go shooting with a lot has been doing some snow geese hunting. Makes sausage and pepperoni out of them. Said they were down on the Columbia and a guy had his travel trailer with a lawn chair outside and was setup waiting for them to come up over the bank. Made me chuckle a little bit thinking about it

Yep it's the time of year when waterfowl, weather permitting will push back north as hard and as far as they can go. Only thing to stop them will be the snow line. First on the breeding grounds, first pick of nesting spots. It's also not uncommon for them to get knocked back from a late winter/early spring storm. I've got several coyotes this time of year just by watching where the birds feed or roost on a regular basis. They'll notice too and will try get an easy meal.

I haven't seen any robins yet, but they should be showing up any day now. A couple of years ago I took a picture of them gathered in my back yard. I had counted 15 of them there in the sun out of the wind bathing and drinking where the ice had melted in my bird bath, so I sent it to my wife as she was at work, and I figured it would lighten her day. She would always send me a picture of the first meadow lark of the year she saw. The western blue bird is my favorite, but I love hearing the meadow larks. They will be migrating through my area somewhere around the 15-17 of March in an average year. Maybe I spent too much time in the field chasing coyotes that I know that kind of thing. NAH I didn't I just paid attention to it as a part of being observant!

T
I haven't seen any robins yet, but they should be showing up any day now. A couple of years ago I took a picture of them gathered in my back yard. I had counted 15 of them there in the sun out of the wind bathing and drinking where the ice had melted in my bird bath, so I sent it to my wife as she was at work, and I figured it would lighten her day. She would always send me a picture of the first meadow lark of the year she saw. The western blue bird is my favorite, but I love hearing the meadow larks. They will be migrating through my area somewhere around the 15-17 of March in an average year. Maybe I spent too much time in the field chasing coyotes that I know that kind of thing. NAH I didn't I just paid attention to it as a part of being observant!
The western blue bird is indeed a lovely little bird of multiple colors! Sort of a cross between a robin and a mountain blue bird. The mountain blue bird is a solid blue chunk of the sky! We have mountain blue birds which nest at our shooting range. They pretty much ignore all the nearby shooting! Although I suppose they prefer it when it is quieter!

Straight Shooter; is Sassy a vocal dog? Walt is quite vocal he has a lot of different sounds that he makes for different reasons, this morning at 3:00 he decided he wanted to go out so was at the foot of the bed with his I need to go pee whine, He has a let's play whimper, a I'm hungry bark, Lets go to the truck reply bark, and so many other sounds for different things. I was playing with a new call I had made one day making different coyote sounds when a guy said your nuts, I've never heard any coyotes make that many sounds or have I ever heard a coyote talk as much as you say they do. Listening to Walt with all of his sounds made me think about the wide range of sounds that coyotes do make we just aren't around them and close enough to them to hear them for the most part. They have whines, whimpers, chirps different toned barks, short howls, long howls, kyies greeting sounds, mating sounds, leave me alone sounds, get out of my territory barks and short howls where are my puppies barks with short howls, honey I'm coming home long howls, okay I'm up and ready to get together and go hunting barks and howls and a wide range of other sounds that they use. We just need to be out there to hear them and put it together what they mean to them so we can duplicate them at the right time to fool them with our version of them. Or at least some one that has heard them and has an understanding of them on their E- callers they sell to tell you what when and where to us them.

Straight Shooter; is Sassy a vocal dog? Walt is quite vocal he has a lot of different sounds that he makes for different reasons, this morning at 3:00 he decided he wanted to go out so was at the foot of the bed with his I need to go pee whine, He has a let's play whimper, a I'm hungry bark, Lets go to the truck reply bark, and so many other sounds for different things. I was playing with a new call I had made one day making different coyote sounds when a guy said your nuts, I've never heard any coyotes make that many sounds or have I ever heard a coyote talk as much as you say they do. Listening to Walt with all of his sounds made me think about the wide range of sounds that coyotes do make we just aren't around them and close enough to them to hear them for the most part. They have whines, whimpers, chirps different toned barks, short howls, long howls, kyies greeting sounds, mating sounds, leave me alone sounds, get out of my territory barks and short howls where are my puppies barks with short howls, honey I'm coming home long howls, okay I'm up and ready to get together and go hunting barks and howls and a wide range of other sounds that they use. We just need to be out there to hear them and put it together what they mean to them so we can duplicate them at the right time to fool them with our version of them. Or at least some one that has heard them and has an understanding of them on their E- callers they sell to tell you what when and where to us them.
Really enjoying your stories D. I look forward to them. Are you getting snow ? Snowing Heavy here N/W Wyoming . Here, I'd let the yotes have a day off. 😉

WYO300RUM; not yet we are supposed to start getting snow around 2:00 P.M.. We are getting the higher winds from the leading edge of the front I sure did enjoy the warm day yesterday that we got here nearly 50 F. I'm glad to hear that people enjoy hearing them as I enjoy sharing them. For so many years I lived, breathed and hunted coyotes. I worked at the power plant in Glenrock for 36-1/2years so I could do predator control and afford it. That's what supported my addiction to the coyote hunting and supported my family. I worked afternoons so I could keep a low profile as I am kind of an obnoxious person, not really, I just kind of like being out there with the coyotes and other animals, the challenge of getting the problem solved. and doing something that needs done on an everyday basis not just during fur season or when I feel like getting out to have a fun day of hunting. My primary job was doing predator control, but I worked at a secondary job to support it.

Hey D. Yeah it got up to 58 yesterday! Sunny. Very little wind in the afternoon. It's only 24 now and -2 tonight. It started snowing here around 4:30am I think. Have about 8 inches. Just shoveled walkway, etc. Do you or did you ever hunt elk, deer, lope, etc. ? Keep up the great work. Waiting for your book. 😉👍🏼🇺🇲

Great story....My trusted and loyal heavy barrel Sako 22-250 (the wood is unbelievable) rides shotgun whenever Im in the mountains waiting patiently for a chance to go to work on a coyote brave enough to pass in our vision...I ve owned that gun since the early 90s and it has performed is all conditions...many can relate to this...when a dog is running straight away he will always be trying to look back over his shoulder usually left then right...thats when you snuggle the cross hairs between the ears and WHOOP,,,coyotes kill so many of our fawn deer and antelope I love helping the heards out by shooting as many dogs as I can...

Great story....My trusted and loyal heavy barrel Sako 22-250 (the wood is unbelievable) rides shotgun whenever Im in the mountains waiting patiently for a chance to go to work on a coyote brave enough to pass in our vision...I ve owned that gun since the early 90s and it has performed is all conditions...many can relate to this...when a dog is running straight away he will always be trying to look back over his shoulder usually left then right...thats when you snuggle the cross hairs between the ears and WHOOP,,,coyotes kill so many of our fawn deer and antelope I love helping the heards out by shooting as many dogs as I can...
I also have a Sako 22-250 heavy barrel with beautiful wood that I got in early 90's. I love it but haven't shot it for years. Have killed a few coyotes with it . I have a Sako 300 WM with beautiful tiger striped wood.

I also have a Sako 22-250 heavy barrel with beautiful wood that I got in early 90's. I love it but haven't shot it for years. Have killed a few coyotes with it . I have a Sako 300 WM with beautiful tiger striped wood.
Great guns for sure... love there actions... I bough my Gun at Ross s Gun in Idaho Falls Idaho..a lot of people come over the hill from Wyomiung to buy guns...Where did you buy yours?