Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

My Wife and I had to put her little Pekingese down yesterday morning, she had congestive heart failure, we tried several different meds for her to no avail. She was struggling hard to get enough air and blood flow so the right thing for her was to end her suffering. I would like to believe that if she were in my place and I in Her's that she would do the same for me. On a better note my Wife and I went down and picked our Grandson up so he could spend the weekend with his mom. It's only 120-mile round trip for us but it's right at 200 miles one way for him. The informational signs above the highway told us that the road was closed for about 75 miles to high profile and light weight vehicles, due to high cross winds having gusts well over 40 mph. My truck isn't high profile or light weight, and I don't have a shell on it, it is 4-wheel drive but if the roads are closed due to winter conditions, I stay home make a phone call and let people know why I'm staying home, and I think they should too. It didn't seem to stop them from being there anyway, one stretch of the interstate had several semis and small light trailers blown over on it. Here again those people tempt fate, risk destroying their vehicles, killing themselves and others I'm not quite sure what is worth taking that risk, but I guess it must be pretty important to them, or maybe not much is of importance to them, so they don't care about the lives of their families or themselves. Dam here I am getting all radicle, I must have been doing what my Grandmother warned me about when she told me if you walk with the lame you will learn to limp. You all take care and have a good healthy and safe weekend.

Last edited:
D sorry about your wife's Dog , they are part of the family , I was laughing the other day when you were telling about your dog a loading up , I have a border collie who is about 5 now I have had Hank since a pup and he goes every where with me , we really become attracted to them he listens and minds better than some of my grandkids , I can tell him to load up or stay in the truck and he will stay there for hours

Thank You Travler ; so many of them do listen to us very well but they also just want to please us and learn how to. I've had to correct them and in just a few minutes they were over being mad and back to trying to do their best. My little Rough Coat Jack Russell goes almost every place with me too, when I do have to leave him, he pouts my wife says. But when I don't take him, I tell him to place, and he goes to his rug by the door then I tell him to set and wait. Yesterday my wife was setting, and he jumped up on her lap then put his paws on her shoulders, then touched her nose with his nose she looks at me and says what's wrong with this dog why is he acting like that. I told her he's giving you hugs and a touch that's what I taught him to do while you were working before you retired, he just wants to comfort you because he knows your sad.

Straight Shooter: they are so much company and entertaining. Walt will stay with my wife some, but he comes and checks on me if I'm out of his sight very long. When I'm doing things, he checks it out then sets back and watches. I named him after my dad's dad. My son and grandson call him Walter White, and he loves to play fetch with my grandson. They will play but Walt stops now and then to see where I am.

That's the way my southern black mouth cur Buckwheat did. He would go out and make his presence known, get the coyotes attention then when he figured it was time for the shot, he would go behind and a little to the side of me and set. Gene's little Jack Russell plays the coyotes and brings them in to him for the shot, but Gene has a good wide heavy collar for him. Jack loves to find the dens and bring the pups out to Gene. Jack is over 16 now and Gene has another dog that Jack is teaching to do the same things. They know who their protector is and who they are protecting.

This has been the coldest and snowiest winter that I remember in probably 30 years. It's been a windy winter, but I believe that last winter was winder. We are right at two feet of snow more this year than average. With the temperature being lower than average there is a lot of snow piled up around every place. The streets are kind of like driving down a rutted two track road with a bunch of potholes in it. So many of the younger people don't remember years when it was this snowy and cold, so they are wondering about the snow being piled up in the center of the streets. The drifts out of town are deep and crusted so it's best to go around them instead of getting out where they are the deepest and breaking through the crust, where your truck will be a couple of feet or more off the ground resting on the frame and you will be trying to dig through ice till you can get your tires to get traction on solid ground then chip your way whichever way is the closest to bare ground . I have been that foolish person or have been with that foolish person who said nah I can make it. You know the guy that didn't put it in 4-wheel drive till after he was stuck. Back in the day when you had to get out and get all muddy to lock in the hubs so you could shift into 4-wheel drive, when he would say I'll get my side you get yours I would say nah you get em both I told you to go around it or said that you should lock it in you can get all wet and muddy I'll be here warm and dry when you're done. But I always ended up helping dig out and giving him a ration of crap for being not so smart knowing I was as much to blame as him by not being more adamant about not doing it in the first place. You have to feed the stock, but you don't have to get all kinds of not so smart about doing it, and you don't just have to go calling today they will still be there when the weather and roads get better, that saying been there done that came from this kind of things being done. So then just how did I think my Grandparents knew how to give me advice about not doing those things was it through experience or were they just that smart that they knew without having done it as well? After all they didn't even have 4-wheel drive vehicles till after WW2!

I like to get it as rain because it covers the ground better than the cold snow that blows off and collects in the draws and low places. But as stated before the reservoirs need it also. The dry baked south facing hill sides need it more than the north facing ones where the snow collects, and the rivers and streams need it as well. When I take a one gallon can push it into the snow till it's flush with the top of the snow then cut the snow off at the open end of the can bring it in where it will melt there is less than an inch of water in it but every drop counts, helps and is appreciated. I'm pretty sure that the native Alaskans are correct about there being near 26 different types of snow. We have been getting some that really doesn't have a lot of moisture content, but the time of the year is coming for the heavy wet snows, March and April. Maybe it was because I was so much shorter, but it seems to me that we used to get deeper snows when I was younger lol. A foot of snow to a two-foot-tall guy seems like it's really deep. The same as a 40-year-old person seems really old to a 10-year-old. It's in the eyes of the beholder. Year before last we didn't get enough for the pastures to sprout good before the grass dried out and quit growing.