Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I feel a little better, I was riding around late yesterday afternoon, the wind was blowing a steady 25mph, on a whim I stopped on the state line and got my caller and set on the hood of my truck and called across a corn field to a patch of woods 800 yards away, 2 female lone howls and a Biggun tore out of the woods on a dead run right at me just like on the TV shows, as soon as he saw the truck he turned but that's the fastest I have ever had on respond, it was 15 seconds or so from the time I called to when I saw him, It was cool

It's an exciting time isn't it ? Breading season is over so they are becoming more responsive to other sounds now . The not so well trained ones are dead by now and the ones left have had the chance to learn after they left home last fall so most times aren't as fast to run in . They learn fast or die young and seem to have the ability to remember things they probably won't respond so fast again to that or very similar sounds . I would think that it was two bred females and a dog , male , coyote perhaps only one bred female and a helper I've seen it both ways . I have pulled puppies of two distinct ages out of the den more then once and killed two females with pups running with a male often . I have also found two dens within a few feet of each other that had a small trail running between them . Once I found that and the puppies were sorted out by sex males in one den and females in the other I latter found out the guy before me had taken a den in the same draw system the year before and had killed all but two female pups so he could have more to hunt latter on . Makes a guy wonder does it not ? And that is why I got called to kill them . I didn't feel the need to farm them .

I look at the things going on in The United States today and have to remember the late 60's and early 70's . We had our people in Russia and they had theirs here . They spoke nearly perfect english but if you knew what to look for you could tell they weren't from here . They some how forgot to teach them to use the word the as an example we would say the KGB and they would say KGB . So they sat back and laughed at the unrest in the U.S. then and now as we did in the 80's when they collapsed . I'm a firm believer that it still goes on to this day by them and us just look at some of the things going on in the world today .

There is an old quote " evil exists, when Good Men do nothing" I truly believe the people are waking up and all we know is about to change, and it will be GODs hand, thru men that get it changed for the better...……...Remember DJT said, "the best is yet to come"!! 🙏 ☝️ 💪💪👊👊
No truer words have been spoken

I tend to over lead, I think because of all my shot gunning days. I'd much rather have a standing shot at 300 yards then a broadside runner at 100 yards any day of the week. I did get lucky and kill 3 runners in a row earlier this year, but one was coming head on at about 15 yards, so that one was easy. I wish I had some where to practice running shots. I have no iron clad method figured out on how to hit em.

I'm with you there TR, I'm really confident out to 400 standing with my set up but a runner makes me look silly. I've thought about many of the practice ideas you guys were mentioning but haven't come up with a good, (cheap) way to do it, and with a decent backstop or huge open area behind it all. I thought about some sort of tire kicker that could be run remotely, like a ramp set up with tires pinned at the top and could be released from a distance and should roll for quite a ways. Fasten cardboard to the side of the tire for the target.

I'm with you there TR, I'm really confident out to 400 standing with my set up but a runner makes me look silly. I've thought about many of the practice ideas you guys were mentioning but haven't come up with a good, (cheap) way to do it, and with a decent backstop or huge open area behind it all. I thought about some sort of tire kicker that could be run remotely, like a ramp set up with tires pinned at the top and could be released from a distance and should roll for quite a ways. Fasten cardboard to the side of the tire for the target.
Might be cheaper to just buy some used coyotes and tape the cardboard to them.

gunpowder an interesting thought line you would want to have the same speed as an average coyote wouldn't ? Would an RC truck be anything of interest for that ?

Great idea Dave .
Run an electric powered radio controlled vehicle , dragging a banner about 8 feet behind it .

Gunpowder , your idea of rolling old tires is good also .

In my teenage years , back in 1965 - 1967 , my friends and I would go to an abandoned gravel pit , and fit pieces of cardboard into old tires , and then push them over the side of the pit down a steep slope , and one of us would shoot as the tires rolled and bounced down the slope and across the flat area at the bottom of the pit .
We would take turns being rollers or shooters .
The pit gave a good backstop .

DMP25-06

Not all bullets are created the same nor are they always used the way they were designed to be used . There are people out there that have tons of engineering degrees and aeronautical degrees that have set to work on bullet designs and can tell you in great detail about the design and the intended use the why this is that way or that makes a bullet react in a certain manner at this point and then this way down range at another point . I have found that if I start with a rifle that has this twist rate it was designed for a weight range of bullets so then that is my starting point bullet weight . Next I look at what I'm wanting to do with that bullet , hunt , target shoot . So then I look at the bullets offered by the different manufactures for my intended use . Different bullet manufactures will use differing materials for bullet construction , copper alloys in the jackets , different lead alloys for the core or lead free designs . Some bullets are designed for good flight abilities but don't open up very well , target bullets , and full metal jacket bullets , still others are designed to nearly explode but fly well small hunting and small animal bullets . Some bullets are designed to be used at speeds in a certain range due to their design , jacket thickness , hollow point design , or spire point design , core metal and it's density toughness or brittleness . Some bullets have a boat tail design while others have a flat base and others may have a modified boat tail base with a step in it , some have copper base's and others exposed lead . Some bullets are designed to wound , military use mostly , some are designed to have massive tissue damage , self defense rounds , and some are designed to kill an animal quickly with little to no exit and destroyed meat . This is a very complex subject and not an easy one to figure out in a short amount of time but for those of us that are inclined to do so there is a ton of information out there some that you need to have an IQ of at least 145 or more to understand and still other study material that most of us can understand . For the vast majority of us like me I just look at what the manufacture advises they be used for .