Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I was thinking of making a cable set up with a metal coyote silloutte on an electric motor so it goes one way and then comes back the opposite way so I can practice both ways..... and so I can be 100-150-200-250-300 yards away. I have seen them on running boar deals. Perfect way to strengthen a weakness. I believe at times I am shooting in front of them.
Yeah I saw one of those wild boar hunting shows that showed just what you're talking about with a moving "boar" silhouette and I'd sure like to have access to something like that too, with a coyote silhouette, of course. Would sure be fun practice.

That's one thing I gave up when I went to full time bolt actions, was that ability to stay on target, shot after shot, with the AR. I no doubt killed more runners when I used the AR, BUT since going to bolt actions I have also learned to have some patience to wait for a standing target. Although I still shoot at runners every now and then because some of them just ain't gonna stop for nothing. But if they're running looking over their shoulder, I'll wait and hope they stop, and often times they do, but not always.
After hitting three runners in a row this season I just about dislocated my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back. Next runner I missed was going straight away from me, although I only got one quick shot, I was still mad at myself for missing such an easy moving target. I was starting to think I had figured something out on the runners, then reality settled in. LOL

I probably shoot more running coyotes than standing coyotes. Because I missed them when they were standing. I swing through and pull the trigger when it feels right. I never shoot behind them but tend to overshoot. I think the reason is because I pull through and bring the crosshairs in front of their nose. I need to pull through at the shoulder, however, my eye is naturally drawn to the nose when I am instinctively setting my lead. I seem to get the lead correct no matter the distance but can't seem to stop from shooting over. I never shoot under.

An interesting concept . So then you would also want to practice quartering away shots ? Chief Dan George
I'm Dead

Laugh.gif

The rifle is the same as your shot gun it has to fit you well to find the sight picture well in the scope . The scope also needs to have a good field of view so more often then not a lower power will give you a better chance at finding and following a moving target . I prefer a second focal plain scope to a first focal plain scope but that's what I learned on . So you know how to set up your favorite shotgun try to do the best you can to set up your rifle to fit you as well and I think you will feel more comfortable with moving targets and it . Scope height , eye relief , stock length of pull , ease of finding the trigger , hand comfort , hand placement on the forearm do you point with your index finger or tend to clamp the stock do you keep your support hand in close or out too far to be good support . It all plays a part in it . It doesn't matter what we are doing when we are at ease it will go better then when we are tense . There are a lot of people out there that are vastly superior then me with their rifles and have by far more knowledge about shooting moving targets . I just enjoy them and shooting them and I know that when they feel good to me instead of me fitting to them they are more enjoyable to shoot .