Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

A lot of the red fox dens I was at were filthy , animal parts scat ect. all around often you could smell them before you could see them . When it was lamb docking time you would know if you missed a fox den or two because the lambs would have part or most of their tails missing . Once the lambs got old and big enough to run fast the fox would just get a hold on the tail and it would pop off . That was one lamb that got lucky that time .

In mid June of 1980 I was walking up a draw hunting a den that I had heard the pups howling in the morning before . I found a pup with out it's head , then another also missing it's head . I found a total of six headless pups in that draw within a hundred feet, but not one live puppy and quite a few lion tracks .

That same year I was up farther on the mountain hunting another den . We had had a pretty good lightning storm as I got close to where I thought the den was located I noticed buzzards circling . When I got to where I could see what it was they were circling I saw an adult coyote laying on the hill side near the crest of the hill . Laying there on that hill were two adults and five pups all with burn marks from lightning . Nature some times does my job also but when I didn't find that it was done it some times let me work at it for awhile .

In mid June of 1980 I was walking up a draw hunting a den that I had heard the pups howling in the morning before . I found a pup with out it's head , then another also missing it's head . I found a total of six headless pups in that draw within a hundred feet, but not one live puppy and quite a few lion tracks .
Wow. Guess the lion beat you to the punch on that one. I'd been a bit nervous that the lion was still in the nieghborhood.

That same year I was up farther on the mountain hunting another den . We had had a pretty good lightning storm as I got close to where I thought the den was located I noticed buzzards circling . When I got to where I could see what it was they were circling I saw an adult coyote laying on the hill side near the crest of the hill . Laying there on that hill were two adults and five pups all with burn marks from lightning . Nature some times does my job also but when I didn't find that it was done it some times let me work at it for awhile .

Looks like those yotes got lucky …...… getting struck by lightning was probably an easier way to meet their Maker than what you were about to lay on them. They also probably checked out quicker than the ones that got their heads ripped off by the lion.

DSheetz ,

Amazing story !
I used to think that my .220 Swift was a "Lightning Bolt" , but never killed 7 of anything at one time .

DMP25-06

In 1999 I was out coyote hunting during deer season . I was set up on a low hill looking out over a big valley that had and old road bed running it's length . The road bed was 2 or 3 feet lower then the surrounding land . There was a small herd of deer grazing down in the valley not paying any attention to me so I felt good about getting set up without disturbing things . I let out a few jack rabbit squalls and a coyote popped up and started to come my way . When he got lined up and was 100 yards or so out I dumped him . From out in the road bed these two guys popped up yelling not to shoot putting their hands up . They didn't have any orange on and were in some good commo . They also were trespassing and had been laying down hiding in the road bed trying to get upon the deer . I didn't know they were there and they didn't know I was there until I shot they said . Scared the hell out of them and me . They could have died all to kill a deer where they weren't supposed to be . Expect the unexpected . I latter saw where these two guys were arrested for poaching deer from a boat on the river . They would run up river and drift down river to shoot deer on people that they hadn't ask to hunt on . I don't think they learned any thing as I still see their names in the paper at times in the police reports .

In 1999 I was out coyote hunting during deer season . I was set up on a low hill looking out over a big valley that had and old road bed running it's length . The road bed was 2 or 3 feet lower then the surrounding land . There was a small herd of deer grazing down in the valley not paying any attention to me so I felt good about getting set up without disturbing things . I let out a few jack rabbit squalls and a coyote popped up and started to come my way . When he got lined up and was 100 yards or so out I dumped him . From out in the road bed these two guys popped up yelling not to shoot putting their hands up . They didn't have any orange on and were in some good commo . They also were trespassing and had been laying down hiding in the road bed trying to get upon the deer . I didn't know they were there and they didn't know I was there until I shot they said . Scared the hell out of them and me . They could have died all to kill a deer where they weren't supposed to be . Expect the unexpected . I latter saw where these two guys were arrested for poaching deer from a boat on the river . They would run up river and drift down river to shoot deer on people that they hadn't ask to hunt on . I don't think they learned any thing as I still see their names in the paper at times in the police reports .

Guys like those must just like to do shady stuff. I knew guys back east who were always in trouble with the law, and some were just trying to see what they could get away with. They were all-around crooks, not just poachers. They would steel animals out of other guys' traps, chickens out of somebody's yard, you name it. One guy my buddy went to school with once proudly announced to a handful of yokels at a country bar one night that if you don't get caught, it's not wrong. Sounds like the current crop of politicians. That jerk ended up getting shot while holding up a Seven-Eleven store. Oh well ……...

DSheetz and Nicholasjohn ,

The 2 incidents that both of you described , were both examples of people that were never taught , when they were young , that there are consequences to be paid for illegal activities , and they never learned personal responsibility .
Sadly , there are far too many people today that live/exist by that same mindset , and they are a major cause of our nation's fall away from the Constitution , and lack of civility to our fellow citizens .

DMP25-06

DSheetz and Nicholasjohn ,

The 2 incidents that both of you described , were both examples of people that were never taught , when they were young , that there are consequences to be paid for illegal activities , and they never learned personal responsibility .
Sadly , there are far too many people today that live/exist by that same mindset , and they are a major cause of our nation's fall away from the Constitution , and lack of civility to our fellow citizens .

DMP25-06

That's the better half of the problem, Sir. There are also people who WERE taught - and what they were taught was this deviant behavior. Their teachers were scoundrels who were outlaws themselves, and raised their kids up the same way. There are lots of second- and third-generation criminals running around out there, both in the hunting fields and in society in general. If some little kid grows up with a father who sells dope and/or robs stores and homes, the offspring are likely to think of that as a viable "profession" to pursue for his own livelihood. They call these guys "career criminals" and it is very difficult - if not impossible - to train that out of them. Once in a blue moon society and the legal system can get one of these turds to wake up and fit into the legal system, but it doesn't happen very often. Usually, they think that society is wrong, and they are right. It's the Law of Primacy at work - that which you learn first will be very difficult to "un-learn" and they will resist any contrary ideas until they have a very solid reason to give up their erroneous beliefs. Most guys, sad to say, even learn after serving sentences of several years - they just get more bitter and hardened, and learn new tricks from other inmates for when they get out an go back to their criminal activities. How to break the chain is the big question.

It is interesting yet sad that in every area/nieghborhood that always has that one (or more) last name that is just synonomous with wrong doing. You guys are very right that it's learned behavior.