Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

204 ruger , Here we have fur bearers and predators . Badgers , beaver and bobcats are fur bearers , badgers can be taken all year but you have to have a licence for them so then you pretty much have to buy a licence . Predators you can take year round , coyote ,red fox , coons with out a licence . Swift fox are protected . Beaver you need a licence for but they have a long season and if they are causing problems you can get a permit to take them .

In Arkansas u can get a predator control permit. U can kill coyotes Bobcats coons oppsums skunks grey fox red fox yr around on private land at night too. To help the Turkey quail and deer. Any time by any method. But on public land coyote bobcat fox skunk coon oppsums. U can only kill during fur bearer season. All fur bearer season runs from nov 8 to February 28. Coyote beaver muskrats dont go out until March 31st. The predator control permit hasn't been out long.

DMP2506,

I have spent the last couple of days thinking about some of the dumb things I've done over the years, and I came up with this for you : With so many deer running around out there, why didn't I and my equaling foolish young buddies ever have it occur to us that we might try to catch one ??? You have definitely one-upped me, Sir - and that takes some serious doing. I ran with a bunch of yokels who were prize winners when it came to thinking up crazy things to do for a laugh, but we never thought of that one. Next time I have a chat on the phone with my old friend Buster, I'm gonna lay that one on him and see what he has to say about it. The last time we reminisced about stuff like this we laughed heartily for a solid hour, and then we each wondered aloud to the other how we lived to adulthood. It sounds like your upbringing was much the same as my own …....

Nick

P.S. Did you ever ride the pigs when you were a little kid ????? WOW - was that ever a hoot !!!!

Nicholasjohn ,

But , we were CITY-BOYS , living in Fort Worth , Texas , not rural farm and ranch kids who were raised around livestock and wild animals . To our highly educated brains ( I.Q. 75 - 80 range , THAT IS what we exhibited most of the time ), there was no way that a 100# deer could escape any one of us , much less 8 attacking at the same time . That one incident alone raised our I.Q.'s by 20 points .
Our basketball /coon hunting coach Harry got a big laugh when we told him of that escapade .

Never rode a pig , but I did ride ( very briefly , before falling off ) some yearling calves when I was 10 - 11 years old .

Several of my high-school friends would go to the Mesquite Rodeo , in Mesquite , Texas ( Dallas Texas area ) on Saturday nights and participate in the Bull-Chase event , which consisted of a $100.00 Bill being taped across the forehead , between the horns , of a rodeo bucking bull , and that bull was hot-shotted out of the chute into an arena that was full of high school boys who tried to grab the $100 bill from the rampaging bull . It was a 60 second timed event , which resulted in much pandemonium and trampled boys . If any of them got the money , they were allowed to keep it . I think only 1 or 2 times was the money taken during Sept.1967 - May1968 .

And NONE of my group were drinkers , and absolutely NO DRUGS . The adrenaline surge was what propelled us into stupid antics .

I hope that I never get to the point of losing these memories .

DMP25-06

Nicholasjohn ,

But , we were CITY-BOYS , living in Fort Worth , Texas , not rural farm and ranch kids who were raised around livestock and wild animals . To our highly educated brains ( I.Q. 75 - 80 range , THAT IS what we exhibited most of the time ), there was no way that a 100# deer could escape any one of us , much less 8 attacking at the same time . That one incident alone raised our I.Q.'s by 20 points .
Our basketball /coon hunting coach Harry got a big laugh when we told him of that escapade .

Never rode a pig , but I did ride ( very briefly , before falling off ) some yearling calves when I was 10 - 11 years old .

Several of my high-school friends would go to the Mesquite Rodeo , in Mesquite , Texas ( Dallas Texas area ) on Saturday nights and participate in the Bull-Chase event , which consisted of a $100.00 Bill being taped across the forehead , between the horns , of a rodeo bucking bull , and that bull was hot-shotted out of the chute into an arena that was full of high school boys who tried to grab the $100 bill from the rampaging bull . It was a 60 second timed event , which resulted in much pandemonium and trampled boys . If any of them got the money , they were allowed to keep it . I think only 1 or 2 times was the money taken during Sept.1967 - May1968 .

And NONE of my group were drinkers , and absolutely NO DRUGS . The adrenaline surge was what propelled us into stupid antics .

I hope that I never get to the point of losing these memories .

DMP25-06

You guys were pretty lucky. We didn't have rodeo activities where I grew up. The bull was not for riding - his job was to freshen the cows, and scaring the bejesus out of careless farm boys who wandered into the wrong pasture. The cows were for milking - and for making that nasty stuff that I had to shovel way too much of. As for the city kid vs. country boy thing, I was a "tweener." I grew up on the edge of town, right between the two. I ran with both crowds - for a while. I figured out pretty quickly that the rich city boys I went to school with in town were TROUBLE, and in an effort to keep myself out of juvenile court I gravitated toward hanging out most of the time with the country boys. Most of the kids at the fancy-pants all-guys catholic prep school my parents forced me to go to didn't need to work, either after school or during summer break. A lot of them were in trouble with the law, mostly over drug issues. I was too busy throwing hay bales to get into that kind of trouble, while they were at the beach getting stoned - and busted by the cops. I'd like to say that I was too smart for that, but I wasn't - I just couldn't afford the high lifestyle. Having to work all summer kept me out of trouble until I figured out how to stay out of trouble on my own. Having to work after school most weekdays took care of the potential problem of having enough free time to get in trouble with the yokels who knew how to manufacture it for themselves. When I did get an afternoon off work, I usually spent it following a bird dog around with my uncle, trying to find a dumb fezzink that wanted to have some high adventure with a teenager and his grampa's old model 12. The outdoorsy pastimes were my outlet, and there's no telling how much trouble I would have gotten into if I hadn't connected with a bunch of hunters & shooters when I was a young guy. It may even have saved my life - some of the city kids weren't so fortunate, and a fair number of them are now pushing up daisies. You and I managed to dodge the bull's horn, but the chemicals they put into their dim brains burned put their lights out.

I was raised in the Poor Side of Town . Our high school was in the Fort Worth Independent School District , and was the smallest public high school in the district with a total enrollment of about 450 students . Very few kids had automobiles , and those who did always carried their friends with them . We lived in a close-knit community , where almost all families were lower-income , and we did have our fair share of wild and crazy kids . There were no drugs in our high school , because the kids could not afford them . Beer drinking and fist fights yes , but drugs , NO .
Our school day started at 8:50 AM with "The Pledge of Alliegience" , followed by the morning Prayer , and then the Principal making daily announcements , before the bell rang at 9:00 AM to go to classes .

The year was Fall 1967 - Spring 1968 .

Oh Yeah , we students got to meet "The BOARD of Education", and got our butts busted by it . Even the girls were included in "BOARD" meetings , if they crossed the lines .

DMP25-06

I once had a coyote vs culvert. My daughter and I were all cleaned up to meet my wife after she got off work one afternoon. We left the house and about halfway down our 2 mile long lane we spot one trotting across the field towards the road. My well trained daughter who was driving looked at me and all I said was yep, and the hammer went down lol. It literally won the race to cross the road by inches so she slams on the brakes and starts backing up. The coyote flat disappeared. Well there was 2 12" culverts that were at an intersection of 2 ditches. She asks if I was packing and my answer was "well duh" so I jump out of the truck to investigate. Bent over to look in the first one and nothing. So I walk over to look in the second and slide down the muddy bank to get covered in mud. Get my feet back under me and look down the second culvert and all I can see is a set of eyeballs and a faint outline looking back at me about halfway in. I can now say that I've got a coyote with my carry gun. I then had to ride back to the house in the back of my daughters truck back to the house to change clothes and get the mud off me all while my daughter called her mom to say we would be a few minutes late meeting up with her and why, the whole time laughing hysterically. All my wife says is "well did he at least kill the dxxx thing" lol.

DMP 25-06,
My brother and I used to ride pigs all the time. Well until we got caught by our dad who didn't see the humor in it that we did. I too had several "board meetings". It actually served me well as I worked on a hog farm after school and weekends and one time we were sorting fats to ship and my boss says to the whole crew. "Anyone who can pin one of those fats to the ground for 3 secs gets the weekend off with pay. Out of 4 guys my 115# self at the time was the only one to succeed lol.

DMP 25-06,
My brother and I used to ride pigs all the time. Well until we got caught by our dad who didn't see the humor in it that we did. I too had several "board meetings". It actually served me well as I worked on a hog farm after school and weekends and one time we were sorting fats to ship and my boss says to the whole crew. "Anyone who can pin one of those fats to the ground for 3 secs gets the weekend off with pay. Out of 4 guys my 115# self at the time was the only one to succeed lol.

I think we should all meet one day. Can you imagine these tales of our youth all flying around a campfire somewhere ??? You guys remind me of the gang I hung out with at a hunting camp we had in an old farmhouse on a mountaintop in the Alleghenies of western Pennsylvania. I could picture any or all of you fitting right in there - bellied up to the table playing euchre and laughing until we all turn blue in the face. This has been such a great outlet for me. Thanks, Guys.

out here in Mondamtana, nobody knows what Euchre is!! How about two handed Euchre, in the old country we called it "snozzle" bringing back some child hood memories.........204ed a badger this morning on my daily morning drive...........

I've never heard of snozzle - how 'bout filling me in on how that works. I have played three-handed euchre. We'd start with a score of 25, and subtract a point for every trick we take. If somebody doesn't take any tricks, they get five added to their score. Sometimes you'd partner up with one guy to burn the other, and sometimes they'd both be ganging up on you to get even. A real cutthroat game for sure. Quite often we'd find ourselves without a fourth, so we'd play with three guys until somebody else drifted in. He would be the "bartender-in-chief" ( his penance for showing up late ) until somebody's score got down to zero, then it would be regular four-handed euchre for the rest of the evening.

When I lived in Montana, I never even heard the game mentioned. The only time I got to play euchre was when I went home to Pennsylvania for deer season. Once in a while I would make the pilgrimage for a spring turkey hunt. Lots of those turkey hunts got blown up by a late-season blizzard, so we'd just play euchre all day and leave the turkey-birds alone. A freezing rain also put a severe damper on the turkey activity, but didn't slow down an indoor euchre game one bit.

Life revolved around the euchre table at our hunting camp. I remember when I first started going to camp, and the euchre game was a round-the-clock affair that went on the full duration of deer season. There would be a half a dozen old reprobates playing cards and keeping the fire going in the stove while the young guys went out in the woods and chased the animals around. They did "winner stays on" at the card table, and the two guys who had lost and were sitting out became beer-chasers for the winners and camp cooks. These old-timers also filled the role of hunt "advisors." They had hunted that same mountain for their entire lives, so whenever we screwed up a deer drive and let a few animals sneak out the side on us, they coached us as to how we should do that one tomorrow. They were usually right, too - which really boosted the number of carcasses on the meat pole. After an often lengthy discussion ( laced with stories about the old days ) somebody would say "What's trump ?" and that was the signal that the advisory session was over and it was back to work for the euchre players. The hunters would then shuffle off to our bunks. Running up & down mountains all day long, we young guys were tired enough to sleep through all the raucous laughter coming from the kitchen of that old farmhouse.

I remember one time when we were all doing that ceremonial final check of our sights & scopes the day before the season opened I offered to shoot old Cliff's rifle for him. It was an ancient 300 Savage, with almost no finish on the stock or bluing on the metal. ( There were several old Savage 99's in that camp.) I came back into the house and informed him that part of his rear sight was missing, and I couldn't get the thing dialed in for him. He said that he knew that - the base was still there, but the part that hold the aperture had fallen off several years prior. He then informed this very puzzled fourteen year old that he didn't need any sights to see the spots on the cards - just a good pair of bifocals. Then he handed them to me and asked me to clean them on my nice flannel shirt for him, and told me that one day I would understand. Well, I'm not quite old enough yet, but I'm beginning to get the picture ……...

Nicholasjohn , that's a good one he was there for the time with his friends and killing a deer or turkey just really didn't make a difference any more if it ever really did to him . Time well spent with people you love like brothers .

I've never heard of snozzle - how 'bout filling me in on how that works. I have played three-handed euchre. We'd start with a score of 25, and subtract a point for every trick we take. If somebody doesn't take any tricks, they get five added to their score. Sometimes you'd partner up with one guy to burn the other, and sometimes they'd both be ganging up on you to get even. A real cutthroat game for sure. Quite often we'd find ourselves without a fourth, so we'd play with three guys until somebody else drifted in. He would be the "bartender-in-chief" ( his penance for showing up late ) until somebody's score got down to zero, then it would be regular four-handed euchre for the rest of the evening.

When I lived in Montana, I never even heard the game mentioned. The only time I got to play euchre was when I went home to Pennsylvania for deer season. Once in a while I would make the pilgrimage for a spring turkey hunt. Lots of those turkey hunts got blown up by a late-season blizzard, so we'd just play euchre all day and leave the turkey-birds alone. A freezing rain also put a severe damper on the turkey activity, but didn't slow down an indoor euchre game one bit.

Life revolved around the euchre table at our hunting camp. I remember when I first started going to camp, and the euchre game was a round-the-clock affair that went on the full duration of deer season. There would be a half a dozen old reprobates playing cards and keeping the fire going in the stove while the young guys went out in the woods and chased the animals around. They did "winner stays on" at the card table, and the two guys who had lost and were sitting out became beer-chasers for the winners and camp cooks. These old-timers also filled the role of hunt "advisors." They had hunted that same mountain for their entire lives, so whenever we screwed up a deer drive and let a few animals sneak out the side on us, they coached us as to how we should do that one tomorrow. They were usually right, too - which really boosted the number of carcasses on the meat pole. After an often lengthy discussion ( laced with stories about the old days ) somebody would say "What's trump ?" and that was the signal that the advisory session was over and it was back to work for the euchre players. The hunters would then shuffle off to our bunks. Running up & down mountains all day long, we young guys were tired enough to sleep through all the raucous laughter coming from the kitchen of that old farmhouse.

I remember one time when we were all doing that ceremonial final check of our sights & scopes the day before the season opened I offered to shoot old Cliff's rifle for him. It was an ancient 300 Savage, with almost no finish on the stock or bluing on the metal. ( There were several old Savage 99's in that camp.) I came back into the house and informed him that part of his rear sight was missing, and I couldn't get the thing dialed in for him. He said that he knew that - the base was still there, but the part that hold the aperture had fallen off several years prior. He then informed this very puzzled fourteen year old that he didn't need any sights to see the spots on the cards - just a good pair of bifocals. Then he handed them to me and asked me to clean them on my nice flannel shirt for him, and told me that one day I would understand. Well, I'm not quite old enough yet, but I'm beginning to get the picture ……...

Nicholasjohn ,

GREAT STORY !!!

You have described how my "family & friends" yearly hunts usually happened .
Hunting the animals was never as important to all of us as was "The Hunt" , which was the camaraderie , stories , practical jokes , card games at night and sometimes mid-day , and never-ending BS sessions , even when we were out on the slopes of the mountains .

In retrospect , I should have kept a detailed log or personal diary of each year's hunt , so that I would now have documentation of those events that I speak-of , instead on me telling those stories to younger folks , and having them sometimes comment ,
" Yeah Old Man , THE OLDER YOU GET , THE BETTER YOU WERE " !!!!!
I still remember the exact details of our hunts , and usually the dates that those events happened , but it would be nice to have written records that could be easily reviewed ,

So , my advise to all of you younger hunters is to make notes of your time spent hunting , either alone or with family and friends , and record times and dates of those days afield , and protect them as if they are treasures , BECAUSE THEY ARE . You can organize and edit them when you return home . Continue going on "THE HUNT" even after the time that you are no longer actively hunting the animals .
Then when you can no longer get out to camp with the group , you can read and re-live your adventures .

DMP25-06

Well stated DMP25-06 , Even if as I did , you give your logs to someone else , just writing them will help you to remember the times you spent hunting . The hours, days and years I have spent hunting coyote are treasures to me some have more meaning then others but all are treasured by me .

Over the years I have noticed that most of the time when a coyote talked a lot and talked on the way in when you shot it , it turned out to be a female . At this time of the year with the new being born I like to use baby animal sounds more then other sounds and a low volume starting out . Then after several minutes if nothing shows turn it up for a few seconds to a minute then back down . I don't want to get them more then interested in finding out for sure where and what the sound is . Keeping them in the hunting mode seems to work the best for me . It's the challenge of the hunt not to let yourself get locked into one way of doing it , they change with the seasons too , as should you .