Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I have to admire the light color faze coyotes you get up there windypants ! Thats a nice bull you got as well, and the work begins after the shot, but even that's a pleasure in good country. Kind of an unusual antler on the right side adds a lot of character to it.
This is him in August before he broke some points in the rut.
tmp-compressed.jpeg

Just a small bit of trivia for some thought. A lot of people will take the drop in hand guards off of their AR's replace the factory gas block with the front sight on it with a low-profile gas block. Then put a nice free floating hand guard on. How many people will measure the thickness of the front hand guard end cap for the drop in hand guard and check that the new gas block is properly aligned with the gas port in the barrel and not partially covering the hole due to setting farther back than the original? Some gas blocks take this into consideration, and some don't. Hum why isn't my BCG loading and functioning as it should. I use a .025 thousand shim to space the new gas block if the hole isn't drilled in it to allow for the difference in the gas port on a mill spec. barrel. I have replaced a few delta rings, drop in hand guards, and gas blocks. A lot of the people will not notice that they now have a small gap between their gas block and the shoulder of the barrel but it sure is noticeable if it's under gassed from having some of the gas port covered due to not having the end cap of the drop in hand guard spacing the gas block forward oops, I did that and learned about it that way a few years ago.
A proper and properly installed gas block and bushing will eject the cases into a small area that is easy to find the Cases😀😀 as you already know
Adjustable gas blocks are Nice 👍

My wife and I went to her sister and brothers-in-laws the other day. We went in and I was taking my coat off when my wife's sister said to me you need to buy a coat that fits you, your sleeves are too long and it's too big in the shoulders. I smiled at her and said no it's just right for me and what I use it for. Again, she said no it looks like crap on you it doesn't fit you at all. I smiled at her again and said that's okay I don't wear it for dress and going shopping or dress up occasions and things like that it's a work coat. A normal person would have let lay at that I believe but not her. She again said something about it. So, I being me and not wanting to argue any I said OKAY here is the deal, I can tell by what you say that you have never worked out in 20 below temperatures with high winds, raise your hands above your head and see what your sleeves do now kneel down and put your hands on the floor what will your sleeves do then. Now put a sweatshirt on or a down vest and see how well you can move around in your well-fitting coat. Then go outside and do it in the wind and cold for a few hours come back and tell me how much too big my coat is after that. I don't have cold wrists and can get more cloths on under it and still move well to work all the while keeping warm. She hung her head a little and quietly said oh I see what you are saying that it's not too big for what you use it for. She isn't a bad person she just thinks that everyone should think and do as she does. A time and a place for differences, and we hope to continue to grow as we grow older.
Wisdom has no price

Thanks

Buck

Jiggyli , I do understand that and at what direction they should be traveling when they are ejected when you have good rounds that are consistently loaded with a good gas block properly suppling the correct amount, not over and not under especially with a can on board. It's all fun and a good learning experience, so many people that have good experience and are very knowledgeable to visit with and learn from. Quality ammo goes a long way toward performance as do so many other parts and pieces. I still love Lake City and Black Hills. But do a lot of loading my own, I am a lot annal retentive about my cases and all of the components. I love precision but am okay with accurate, there again it's about enjoyment of what I'm doing. As with my coyote work, I play around a lot just to see how things work out by changing some little thing just one thing at a time in the hopes of learning something that will be of use in the future. Well, that worked out okay, sometimes darn that's pretty good I think I will start doing that all the time in similar situations or awh .... that didn't do as good as I had hoped, I'm not doing that again, let's see what this does then.

Straight Shooter, my gun is concealed, my knife is where I can get to it fast and easily the same as my gun. But I do like the saying that you have at the bottom of your posts! I watched the video where the guy walked into the church pulled a shot gun out from under his long coat and killed two guys that were trying to get their pistols out of concealed carry, practice, practice and more practice, till it becomes second nature, know where you can get it out and in use fast. I used to wash all of my animals with a good gentle detergent in cold water, dry the fur then stretch them, when I sold my fur, it really made the white pop on the coyotes and bobcats, the fur buyer told me he always liked my furs looks and a bonus was he knew he wouldn't get any fleas from mine. lol

No matter how or if you celebrate Thanksgiving in the United States of America have a good day, be safe and enjoy time with friends and family. Our friends to our North have a different day to give thanks then we do but we still wish them a safe and happy day today as well. Our people in the military my not get the day off and might not even get a hot meal today but we hope that they are healthy, safe, warm and dry. May God bless us all!

Dave, the coyotes here have been really hard to find and I haven't heard them howling. Any insight on how to hunt them this time of year? Hunting season just ended and theres no snow, so I'm guessing they've just been keeping a low profile with all the deer hunters out and they can easily forage in the timber and brush without snow. I've spent a lot of time looking both at night and daytime, and have only seen one in the last three weeks.

How is the prey base? If it was low this past year, they may not have had many pups. Were there any diseases running thru them this year? All of that plays a part in how many there are in an area. When their numbers are down, they are more cautious as well. It's getting close to December and breeding season is just around the corner. They might not be talking much at this time especially if their numbers are low, they will be quiet. With breeding season coming up they will be starting to vocalize with whines, whimpers and chirps, as well as low growls that aren't of a threatening nature. Several years ago, Randy Anderson had a short section of a video that showed a coyote doing the chirps whines and whimpering when they are excited and greeting another coyote. A guy named Rick Paluett, I think that's how his name is spelled, has some videos called the verminators, might have some videos showing better how to do those sounds. Adult deer blats are working at this time of year as well, so many people have been running rabbit sounds, a lot also use and overuse coyote vocalizations, that aren't normal for this time of the year. They aren't real territorial at this time of year so if you choose to use coyote vocalizations try keeping them more in the friendly range such as interrogation howls, two longer howls a bark and one howl, wait for up to five minutes and repeat this up to 30 minutes. Few barks or alarm sounds now, and you should get responses. At the end of January is when they will be getting the urge to pair up and then you can start to become more aggressive with the coyote vocalization. The female tones will be working good now and later the male tones will be doing better as they get paired and start setting up their home ranges. Two short howls and two barks with 30 seconds wait then repeat at this time later in the day will get them to answer it's kind of a gathering call asking if anyone wants to get together and go hunting, done in male or female tones. When doing control work, I often used a siren for locating them. I didn't have much luck calling them after using the siren, but they would often come into the siren, so I would find them one day and go back in a day or two if we weren't flying for them, and they weren't causing problems. If you have an e-call and don't use hand calls, try some of the deer calls or some of the bird sounds as well as some of the non- threatening coyote sounds, I try to stay with the adult sounds as I needed my backup sounds for killing the killers in the spring and didn't want the left overs to be trained about them, so I stayed away from puppy sounds or other sounds that weren't normally in nature at this time of year.

Recent Posts