Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

To ALL of the contributors to this long-running , EXTREMELY informative , and interesting thread , I thank you for the enjoyable reading that you have provided for me .

I have read and re-read your posts several times over , during the 1 year plus timespan that this thread has been kept alive .

To DSheetz and ReemtyJ :
I somewhat live vicariously through reading the hunting adventures , past and present , that you have so freely shared with all of us .
I follow each footstep that you have taken in your pursuit of the coyote .

I am 71 years old , born in 1950 , and I grew-up reading Jack O'Connor , Ted Trueblood , Jim Carmichael , Robert O'Rourke , and other writer's stories in Field and Stream , Outdoor Life , and Sports Afield magazines in the 1950's and 1960's , and I say to both of you :
The STORIES of HUNTS , and INFORMATION that you have written , are EQUAL to any of the celebrated outdoor hunting and shooting writers that I have listed .

74Honker :
I can sympathize with your commitment to working long hours and days , location where you live being many miles from the open spaces of our Western States , and almost no personal time to be able to pursue a hunt away from home .
I was in the same situation for all of my life , and now that I am no longer working , I have physical and health issues that present limitations to my activities .
If you are young enough , keep the dream alive and MAKE IT HAPPEN .

To all of you on Long Range Hunting :
Have a safe and HAPPY 4th of JULY.
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.

DMP25-06

DMP25-06 , thank you Sir . Have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July . God bless to all and the the United States of America on this birth day !

Last 12 months I have killed 51 coyotes and missed many more, but have learned a lot from all those misses. Looking forward to October on and going to shoot to get that number to 75. A persons mind never stops and I am constantly thinking of ways to become better and more lethal. That CZ 204 with 39 grain SBK is an amazingly lethal coyote rifle, my opinion for fur it is the best I have shot and accurate as heck, it is a zero to 500 yard coyote killer, Ladies and gents GOD willing and the creek don't rise, we are going to give those songs dogs some h-ll this fall and winter. This thread has helped me with a PILE of info and experience and I expect to contribute back to this thread all fall and winter. GOD bless you all and especially the USA ๐Ÿค๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™โ˜๏ธโ˜๏ธโ˜๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

We all hunt coyote because we love to for our own reasons . The more we do it and the more we study them and what we have done right and wrong the more efficient we will become . Each of us has had some help learning from others and that is as it should be . We strive to help each other and they to help us . With every hit we are able to dissect what it was that went right for us to connect with that animal . With every miss we are also able to dissect what went wrong and what went right then we adapt to that and end up changing things for the next time and do a better job of what it is we wish to accomplish . If we wish to be better at coyote control of just pleasure hunting them , we will learn , take note of what went right and wrong , and do as the coyote do adapt to our , and their , changing environment . Some of us hunt and some of can't for one or more reasons now but we all have some thing to offer to others about our chosen way of life . A big thank You to all that help each other in any way we can . Let us continue to be the best that we can to each other and ourselves .

DMP25-06, your words do strike home. In the last couple years I've lost a couple good friends. Ones that we had always planned to get together for whatever and just never could make things happen. You are correct, we MUST MAKE TIME! It is not infinite. As you said, this thread is an honor to be a part of. Happy 4th to all and remember what it really means to be FREE!

74honker , we all miss our friends and family when we loose them . It's the things left undone and unsaid that makes it harder for me . We do have a limited amount of time we can spend with others here in this world and it's a hard lesson learned to make the most of that time with them .

74honker , we all miss our friends and family when we loose them . It's the things left undone and unsaid that makes it harder for me . We do have a limited amount of time we can spend with others here in this world and it's a hard lesson learned to make the most of that time with them .
You hit the nail right on the head DSheetz. All of it.

One morning I picked up the aerial gunner well before day break . We drove up to a ranch in the foot hills probably about 40 miles to get there . The plane came in landed on a dirt and gravel road picked him up . They went to another site first where there was another guy ground crewing for them to give me a chance to do some locating for them . I got 3 groups located and the GPS coordinates for them written down to give them when they came back . In a couple hours they were back and got on the coordinates as I gave them . We finished up around 11:00 or so . The plane landed we talked over what we had gotten done and the gunner got back in my truck to be taken home . I told him that I would buy him lunch so we stopped by a local restaurant . As we walked in a woman I knew looked at us and said to me you've been out playing God again and killing stuff haven't you . I smiled shook my head and replied no mam I don't play God I can only take life I can't give it back after I've taken it like God can . After we ate and got back in the truck the gunner ask me do you know her she's kind of an A=- . Yep I know her she's always giving me a hard time about hunting coyote but she knows why I do and is really ok with it just wants to give me a hard time as a friend .

It's kind of odd what will bring out some memories isn't it . My wife and I dog sat for our daughter this weekend . It's a 60 mile trip to her house . As we were taking the dogs home last evening we got one of those rains where it's coming down so hard you can't see to drive so I pulled over . As we were setting and waiting for it to let up I got to thinking about what it was like during monsoon season and how glad I don't live where that happens . It was like every day in August at two in the after noon it would start raining rain hard for an hour then stop . It seemed like you could almost set your watch by when it started raining daily . We were out one day when it started but didn't stop this time . It rained so hard that you couldn't see your hand at arms length . Water was running off of your nose , ears ect . every thing down to your skin was wet you couldn't keep anything dry even wrapped in a plastic bag . The fog rolled in but this time the rain just kept coming down hard . It stopped finally about day break but the fog stayed so heavy you couldn't see your hand in front of your face . It lifted by around 10:00 in the morning but stayed cloudy and over cast for a week . I had never seen any thing like that before nor since . I'm glad that I don't see that kind of thing where I live we do get hard rains but they don't set in for weeks on end . The best part of it was that you could wash the stink off and didn't have to go for a week or more with out a shower you got to shower daily and it was warm .

Reemty , I am liking what we are getting . It did go north but also to the east so the Dakotas go it . I would love to see you guys get some of this with out hail and down pours so you didn't get the flash flooding from it . It's pretty dry in most of the western states but some of the eastern states would love you to have some of their rain by now . Guess I could fill a 5 gal. bucket and ship it to you for your ladies plants but unfortunately that's the best I can do except pray for you to get some rain .