raised an eyebrow...

grit

I prefer to consider myself reasonably intelligent. Tonight I wondered. I was shooting a few targets tonight. They were from 450 to 850 yards. I would shoot a few rounds, then switch guns. Things were going pretty well. I had the wind about figured out for each target. I was shooting the 850 yard target with a 270. First shot was good, second shot was good. Third shot, what the ????

Didn't feal right. Didn't sound right. Didn't see any dust kick at the bottom of the target. Hmm, thought I. Went to open the bolt, and it stuck near the top. Tugged on it a bit, than slapped it opend with my palm. Ejected the shell in my hand, with no neck on it.

What the?? What caused that? This load has shown no signs of pressure. Didn't kick hard iether. In fact it kicked soft. Turned the shell over, and there it was, 243 win.

One more lesson learned.

Just a bit hesitant to take the next shot. I took the bolt out and looked for the neck. Everything looked clean. The next round hit home. Got lucky I guesse. Wish somebody had taped it. Would o' been pretty funny to watch me.

Any rounds you can do this with that'll result in a wreck??
7mm-08 in a 270? Wouldn't be at all funny.

Understand a .338 Win. in a 7STW is a nasty. I once saw a bunch of brass at a range where the guy shot 7mm Rem magnums in an STW. Looked like shotgun shells.

I saw a guy run a 308 in a 270. It blew the floor plate out of the gun and could not open the bolt. Gunsmith said bore was ok, but he did not pursue fixing it. Another friend ran a 270 in a 7mm Browning lever action. Gun completely blew up. He was on the police sniper squad and had flinching problems after that. I wonder why

heres mine: 300Wm in 300WBY.

100_0664.jpg

Theres a reason back in rifles 101 they tell you not to have 2 flavors of ammo in the area when youre shoting a rifle.

A dominant dealer and range in my neck of the woods has a Sako .270 on the wall where someone goofed and put a .25-06 in the chamber and pulled the trigger. The gun is in pieces, but the guy suffered no permanent debilatating injuries. I am as guilty as the next who has all my stuff on the benches around me, but I check the headstamp of every round I fire. At the range I always fire single-shot unless I am getting ready for deer season when I may load up the magazine to make it real-life for me. Then I only have one kind of ammo around. It is unnerving for me to take my fiance' out to the range because she has very little respect for what CAN happen. That is another reason why she has only gone a dozen times or so too. I want to be sure I can keep a keen eye out to make sure nothing happens to her or me.

Had a customer put a 308 Win. through a 25-06. It was a Shilen barrel on a Ruger 77. Desroyed the Hogue stock, Ruger floor plate, ejector, and extractor clip. Had to pull the barrel to get the bolt out. Barrel was clear and appeared to be undamaged. He was speckled in the face with small brass bits but otherwise unhurt. Thank God for good safety glasses.

Sewwhat89, Is it possible that you have those two calibers reversed? All of the other stories are about a smaller case in a large chamber blowing up a case, or a large bullet in a smaller bore blowing up the rifle. But the 270 and the 25-06 are basically the same 30-06 case and I don't see how the small bullet in a larger bore would cause the gun to blow-up.

I'm confused by this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts