R700 firing pin bushing

Mike D Texas

I have a 6.5x47 and a 260AI both built on R700 actions. We normally shoot SRP brass in both and I am considering having LRI bush the firing pin which will also include a smaller firing pin diameter.

I will never shoot LRP brass in the 6.5x47 but may occasionally shoot LRP brass in the 260AI. I am currently playing with Sig 277 Fury brass for example to find the upper limit of pressure with it.

My question is, should I expect to have any ignition issues using LRP primers and a smaller diameter firing pin? Will LRP pierce easier with a smaller firing pin diameter? Since this is pretty much a permanent modification, I want to make sure I will not experience negative effects with LRPs.

If you're not getting any primer flow now, you could certainly wait to get it bushed and see if that is going to be the weak link in the pressure system. Production guns can vary greatly in firing pin and hole size. Some benefit a great deal from bushing while others are tight enough from the get-go. I had a stock savage that was so loose that it would blank primers with standard pressure loads. I was able to find a larger diameter firing pin and that cured all the problems.

If you're not getting any primer flow now, you could certainly wait to get it bushed and see if that is going to be the weak link in the pressure system. Production guns can vary greatly in firing pin and hole size. Some benefit a great deal from bushing while others are tight enough from the get-go. I had a stock savage that was so loose that it would blank primers with standard pressure loads. I was able to find a larger diameter firing pin and that cured all the problems.

If the primer flow is not real bad, I would not worry.
I'm definitely getting primer flow with seemingly normal pressure loads. That's what lead me to look into this.

I run the 6.5x47 pretty mild but I do admittedly push the 260AI pretty hard.

Nope, all of my Kimber's and my comp rifles have small diameter firing pins, never had a pierced primer using either SRP or LRP.

I had my REM 700 VSSF II bushed and converted to the small pin because it runs SRP mainly in 22-250AI & 6.5x47, these are my mid range F-class barrels, and LRP in the 22-250 factory barrel. It has never failed me.

Cheers.