R26 & 264 wm anyone?

fisherman983

Anyone get this powder to work in a 264wm? I've burned up a couple pounds and a lot of bullets looking for speed and accuracy but havnt had any luck.
Curious if anyone else has tried and failed or succeeded?

I shoot it in mine. Settled on 64.5 grains, 3075 fps with a 140 vld. Most accurate load in my rifle, no pressure at all, I'm sure I could go higher, but it shoot so well I stopped there.

Tagging in...

My 264wm shoots great with 130 VLD H1000, but it would be nice to get a few more FPS out of it. Also have plenty of R-26 on the bench!

I couldn't get accuracy out of rl26 and 140 grainers,
RL25 however shot a lot better with less pressure and more velocity.

fisherman983,

I've burned up a couple pounds and a lot of bullets looking for speed and accuracy but havnt had any luck.

Re-26 is too fast for this case and the 6.5 bore. You need to run Re-25, H-1000, Retumbo or MRP2 to get the velocity and accuracy you're looking for. I've tested all 4 powders and got high velocities and great accuracy with both the 130 grain and 140 grain bullets.

Regards.

fisherman983,

Re-26 is too fast for this case and the 6.5 bore. You need to run Re-25, H-1000, Retumbo or MRP2 to get the velocity and accuracy you're looking for. I've tested all 4 powders and got high velocities and great accuracy with both the 130 grain and 140 grain bullets.

Regards.

I was curious if it was too fast or not. It was giving me great velocity but no conistency what so ever. It' used in several other 6.5's and I had high hopes of using it. Have you used R33 by chance? And what velocities were you getting with h1000 and retumbo?

Getting ready to try it. My understanding is it's slower burning than rl 25, not faster.

Fisherman983, Ill let you know how it works out, or how it doesn't... LOL!

Ill be testing in a Remington 700 factory Sendero 264 WM with 26" barrel. Using 143 gr eldx bullets, winchester brass, Fed 215 primers.
Wrapping up my H1000 load for these tomorrow morning, then ill scrub the barrel and start work ups, so hopefully ill know something by next weekend.

What rifle were you working with?

Getting ready to try it. My understanding is it's slower burning than rl 25, not faster.

Fisherman983, Ill let you know how it works out, or how it doesn't... LOL!

Ill be testing in a Remington 700 factory Sendero 264 WM with 26" barrel. Using 143 gr eldx bullets, winchester brass, Fed 215 primers.
Wrapping up my H1000 load for these tomorrow morning, then ill scrub the barrel and start work ups, so hopefully ill know something by next weekend.

What rifle were you working with?
It's a semi custom trued 700 action, 26" bartlein barrel.
How did h1000 work for you. What kind of speeds were you seeing?

I found rl26 to pressure out at a lower powder charge vs rl25 in a couple of different cartridges.
Rl25 is bulkier so you can get a better case fill.
Just my experience.

Good to know, and thank you.

I am now out of H1000, and it's time for me to start on the RL 26 testing in my 300 win mag and my 264 win mag. I've used RL 26 in the 300 with I thought pretty stellar results. A quick workup before deer season last year and I came up with 74 gr RL26 in once fired PPU brass, with a 200 gr8 ELDX and I was average 3003 fps SD 5 ES 13. I'll be looking to use it with 215 Berger hybrids this go round. Not that any of that is on topic. I do plan to try it in my 264 with the 143 ELDX. HOPING to find a node around 3200 fps. With decent ES and SD.

That's some good speed, what bullet? What was your oal? How far off the lands?

Thanks. Shooting over a magneto speed.
143 gr ELDX
2.750" BTO .010" off lands
Winchester case
Fed 215M

Don't know if you mean COAL, I don't use it, I use Base To Ogive, (BTO) but I measured it in case you do mean COAL 3.340"

Also, I feel it important to say 64 gr is HORNADY 10th edition book max for 143 gr ELDX, but they were also using Remington cases, Remington 9 1/2M primers, and a 24" Douglas barrel.

I'd just work up to those levels if I were you, with that Bartlein barrel of yours, you probably won't need that much powder. Is it a 5R?
I have a stainless 27" Bartlein 5R on my 300 win mag in M24 contour. They make good stuff!

RL-26 is a very dense powder. It is at its best in cases with more limited capacity. In a case like the 264 WM, where even bulky powders such as Retumbo pressure out at less than 100% load density, RL-26 is a poor choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.