Quieter suppressor!

Rich Coyle

About a year and a half ago I purchased a Thunder Beast Ultra Nine. By the time I was allowed to get it sixteen months later I needed shoulder surgery. So I loaned it to my son-in-law. He is on the paperwork. He installed it on some kind of .308 black rifle. (I'm not a gun nut. I just like to shoot my bolt rifles.)

Saturday I went over for the fights and he told me it's getting quieter. He said with sub-sonic it's now about like a sort of muffled hand clap. In February I hope to discover how quiet it is on a 6.5 Creedmoor.

What caliber? What bullet? What barrel length? I hope that's true. Just got mine and it is not quite enough to not wear hearing protection.

Over time the baffles and insides of the can will get coated in carbon from the gasses exiting the muzzle. This can help to muffle the sound as a sort of sound-deadening material. It won't necessarily make it quieter, but it will change the pitch of the can, to a deeper sound, which can appear to the ears, to be quieter.

What caliber? What bullet? What barrel length? I hope that's true. Just got mine and it is not quite enough to not wear hearing protection.

The one he was shooting the other day is a .308 Win firing 200 grainers. I think the barrel is 16" to 18". When I bought the suppressor the guy fired one supper sonic and one sub sonic. When I tried to duplicate the sound for my son-in-law I had to cup my hands in order for the sound to be quiet enough of the sub-sonic.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts