Quickest way to find an accurate load

I recently brought my hunting rifles to a bench match for a 3 day weekend. Saw a couple 1" 3 shot groups and a 1.4" 5 shot group for match score. I got two of my rifles to shoot 3" and 3.2" 3 shot groups at 1k with some tweaking on paper. Can it do it day in and day out? Probably not. But my 1/2" 100 yard tune was not good. I load for some people that "accuracy" is a 4-5" group at 5-600 for hunting guns. It just seems like a broad word that people have different opinions on what is "accurate"

I recently brought my hunting rifles to a bench match for a 3 day weekend. Saw a couple 1" 3 shot groups and a 1.4" 5 shot group for match score. I got two of my rifles to shoot 3" and 3.2" 3 shot groups at 1k with some tweaking on paper. Can it do it day in and day out? Probably not. But my 1/2" 100 yard tune was not good. I load for some people that "accuracy" is a 4-5" group at 5-600 for hunting guns. It just seems like a broad word that people have different opinions on what is "accurate"
Wow! That is some WORLD class shooting since the current world record is a tad over an inch with a bench gun. Yeah, shot hear in North Carolina.

The group for record (1.4") was first relay and the smaller one was right before dark.

What's your quickest way to find a .5moa/ish load. From new barrel, brass,powder, bullets.... I've got another 28nosler coming and want to preserve barrel life as much as possible. What's everyones routine? I'm not looking to burn 20 different Combo's trying to find that .25 load. Long range Hunting accuracy and repeatable sd's are more important than that last 1/4in.
The best thing you can do is ask your smith a good starting place. A known reamer and barrel will usually shoot similar loads. Trust nothing until you see a group on paper at your maximum hunting distance. Small groups on paper at distance is what you want to see, numbers will lie to you, so will rocks and steel.

Last edited:
After burning up lots of components over the years, I took a different approach and it has saved me lots of time and components. What used to take 100+ loads to find the best load now takes less than 30 or 40 normally. Sometimes far less if I do my homework first and decide the type and weight of the bullet I want to use.

I will select the powder that reaches the max pressure at 100% case capacity and the recommended primer. I will load 3 rounds of this powder in 1/2 grain increments starting some where below the middle load listed for the bullet weight I want to use. I also found if I used the bullet I wanted to end up shooting I also saved time and money. (I used to use cheaper bullets while testing).

I test with a clean barrel for every load, and shoot through a chronograph. If get a poor SD on the second round, I Abandon that load and save the one I didn't fire for one fouling round each test load.

When the SDs drop to less than 5 or 6 I know I am close and may load some in .02 Tenths grain to see if I can improve the SDs. This process shows me that I have a good powder, primer and case capacity combination.

Armed with this information I start looking at seating depth and bullet design (In the same weight) to get the accuracy down.
after I get all of this accomplished all that is left is to tweak the load
and start shooting.

This has worked every time and I have gotten sub 1/4 MOA groups in less than 25 shots And not shot out a barrel doing so. Some of my best loads have been less than 10th MOA in as many loading's.

This may not work for everyone but it has saved me lots of time and frustration.

Just the way I work up loads for accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom,
I liked your post and am working up a load on a 28 Nosler. You said when you get a poor SD (what does this stand for)? What range do you do your testing?
Thanks
Sjones

J E Custom,
I liked your post and am working up a load on a 28 Nosler. You said when you get a poor SD (what does this stand for)? What range do you do your testing?
Thanks
Sjones

SD stands for Standard Deviation. It is a measure of the lowest velocity and the highest in a group of shots. (Normally 5 to 10 shots). What you are looking for is the lowest number. I like to be below 5 Ft/Sec difference.

What this tells me is that I have a good powder, primer, bullet weight and case volume combination. If the SDs are good and accuracy is not, at this point all I have to do is change the bullet style (Keeping the same bullet weight) and/or change the seating depth. I also only make one change at a time.

I do all of my load development At 100 yards to minimize shooter error. After the best load is found I will extend the yardage depending on use/need.

J E CUSTOM

If you're using RE26, you need to work up your loads when it's hot. It doesn't rapidly drop velocity when temperature drops so it's "sort of" insensitive to temperature. I live in FL so it's not an issue:)

J E Custom,
Thanks
Sjones

For 28 nosler info look for the thread in the reloading section that talks about the 195 and RL 33. pages and pages of great info. I settled on 85.2gr of RL33 with the 195 .02 off the lands... every rifle is different but the accuracy is unreal with that combo for me.

I just finished a 338 Edge build with a Proof barrel and had things figured out in 24 rounds. I did countless hrs of homework first . Thanks to this Forum !
Great guys and some good info !

Rum Man
What were you getting for speeds and how long is the barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.